PDA

View Full Version : Bonneville 100 Entry Forms are up

scottycards
March 31st, 2010, 04:38 PM
www.openroadracing.com

This event is June 26, which is a Sat. Plan on getting there Wed or Thurs.

Two legs to this event, about 50 miles each. Only a few curvy sections, as you go over White Horse pass. The highway that we run on is Hwy 93A, out of Wendover, towards Ely, NV. The whole race happens in Nevada, and is under the supervision of NDOT.

Host hotel is the Wendover Nugget. Rooms are under MKM10 for preferred rate.

Prices went up for the race this year. Oh well.

Steve and I are running 130 class, and Steve is driving leg 1. If he crashes my car, we're not going to be friends anymore, at least until he buys me a new one.

Wendover is 100 miles West of Salt Lake, and there is gambling, a strip club, and the salt flats are nearby. That's about it.

If you've ever wanted to go run your car fast, safely, and legally, this is the way to do it. As with most of these events, the grid does tend to fill up, so book earlier than later to ensure your spot. All the details are on the website, or feel free to PM me/post here, and I'll help however I can.

If you want to come out to just check it out, let me know and I'll get you signed up as a courseworker. I get a discount for doing so, and I'll make sure you're placed in a good spot on the road. If you want to navigate for someone, let me know- someone usually wants to have a navi, and I can most likely arrange that.

Hope at least a few folks can make it. It's a fun event. Really fun.

Steve
March 31st, 2010, 07:09 PM
Steve and I are running 130 class, and Steve is driving leg 1. If he crashes my car, we're not going to be friends anymore, at least until he buys me a new one.

I showed this to Kathy. Her reply? "That's what insurance is for." :D

130 is going to seem awfully slow...

Scott91MJ
April 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
aaw pitty, general assembly will be going on, tons of work for I.

RockyRed
April 2nd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Scotty-Steve............need a prod to go on this one.

How does it stack up to BBORR................?

Do I need to sign up right away, Gary and Vern got shut out of BBORR, they are at waiting list #15 and it hasn't moved in 4 weeks!
I believe they are going to this as well as Frosty, nor sure about Don H.

Need to talk to my friend Bill and see what he wants to do.

Decisions....Decisions.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
April 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM

BBORR is ~120 miles, Bonneville is ~100. Bonneville is at least as well organized as BBORR, Bonneville may be the better in terms of safety planning for the actual race. BBORR events take place in two towns 60 miles apart, as you know, so there's a lot of driving back and forth between them. Bonneville is all in Wendover. BBORR has a few "community" events, like a parade, show, etc. Bonneville doesn't.

The Bonneville course is a little easier than BBORR IMO. Both are fun. Come out to Wendover with us. :thumbsup:

redcj7
April 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM

Do I need to sign up right away, Gary and Vern got shut out of BBORR, they are at waiting list #15 and it hasn't moved in 4 weeks!
I believe they are going to this as well as Frosty, nor sure about Don H.

Need to talk to my friend Bill and see what he wants to do.

Decisions....Decisions.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Rocky Red, I'm still planning on going, but can't sign up untilI get home from Moab and check out a couple of other events as to dates. If I don't have a conflict, I will be going, and will know next week.

scottycards
April 3rd, 2010, 04:59 AM
Rocky-

What Steve said. It's a more laid-back event. Fewer cars, more of a core group. Faster course, less curves. No parade. The drive out and back is shorter (about 8-9 hours each way). Better restaurants and hotels. The turn-around goes quicker at the midway point.

Running 135 at Wendover is about like running 120 class at BBORR in terms of skill.

Don and Frosty usually show up, hopefully Gary and Vern will, too. If they're #15 on wait list, I think their chances are 50/50. No-shows tend to happen last minute. If I were waitlisted, I'd show up, because someone will break down, not show, etc, and they'll be allowed to run in the absence of any others who take the chance and just appear down there.

I hope you come to Wendover, Rocky Red.

scottycards
June 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I have a friend in 150 class that may need a navigator, if anyone is interested. Wicked C5 with gobs of speed.........a serious machine.

I'll do whatever I can to help find loaner helmet, suit, etc.

Let me know. You'd be on the hook for a navi fee ($150 or so), and your travel expenses. Good stopwatch skills needed- you need to be able to read a stopwatch display and quickly calculate the difference between that and the target number fairly quickly.

Camp? Tyler?

Steve
June 11th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Who needs a navi? I might have someone here interested, will check.

scottycards
June 11th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Jeffyvette. Tall dude, has run Unlim in the past (remember the blue vette at the last B100), running his C5 in 150 on this go-around. He's safe.

Not sure yet if he wants a navi, so this is preliminary for now.

cheftyler
June 11th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Damnit! I would soooooooooooooo be in on this if I could take the time off work :(

Steve
June 23rd, 2010, 08:32 AM
It's time. Scottycards is picking me up tomorrow for the drive to Wendover. Fun starts Friday morning. Can't wait to drive Leg 1 in the new Vette. :bounce4:

Anyone else from here going?

scottycards
June 23rd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Steve-

Well, after 3 pretty solid weeks of working on both cars, last night was the final nut and bolt check. I went through the car bumper to bumper, and put a wrench on everything I could find. All good. Those frickin tires have been on and off no less than 20 times each, it seems.

It's ready to go. Only last detail is mounting the external GPS antenna this evening.

Board folks- please post up and give Steve a shout-out. He's manning up and getting in the LEFT seat for the first time. I remember the nerves of doing that- no small task. Driving someone else's car, in an event that may or may not be covered by insurance.............ouch if something happens!

He's in the maximum allowable speed class for a first timer (130 average), running a 150 tech (max) speed, and has the factor of a long-timer sitting next to him, watching over his shoulder. Pretty nerve-wracking.

I remember my first few events. Started in 110 class, and worked up to 125 over the course of several seasons. Steve's jumping right in- huge testicles.

We'll do practice runs on Friday, and it's ON Sat AM at 8.

Steve- you're gonna do great, if it's too much, we'll just cruise and make up time on Leg 2. We know we can post a 150-155 average on Leg 2, so anything over a 110 avg on Leg 1 is totally good. Safety first, fun second, and accuracy after that.

Looking forward to it. I'll be in GJ mid-morning.

Loki
June 23rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
Don't they say your reaction times slow as you age??? :flipoff2:

Good luck Steve, keep it between the ditches. :thumbsup:

Mcstiff
June 23rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
Good luck with the new ride!

Steve
June 23rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Good luck Steve, keep it between the ditches. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I have two goals:

1. Don't wreck. (Truly not concerned about that one in the least.)

2. Don't get DQ'd for going too fast, or far worse, too slow.

I've honestly never gotten the slightest bit nervous with scottycards in the left seat driving up to 168 mph. I hope he can say the same thing Saturday afternoon.

scottycards
June 23rd, 2010, 09:22 AM
I'll keep you in the speed limits Steve. Being scared does no good. I remember my first time in Unlimited- driver Todd said I was the first person to ride with him that didn't panic.

I was scared beyond belief. But whining in the ear of a driver on the edge is about the last thing you want to do. I wasn't nervous about Todd's ability so much as just the physics of going that fast. We were doing 210, and I'd just lost a friend that crashed going that fast. Yikes.

If it starts to slide, something breaks, a tire blows, a cow goes on the road, whatever- just keep driving, cause that's all you can do. Point it where you want to go, look where you want to go, and hold on.

Loki
June 23rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
If it starts to slide, something breaks, a tire blows, a cow goes on the road, whatever- just keep driving, cause that's all you can do. Point it where you want to go, look where you want to go, and hold on.

Sounds like my daily commute, except I close my eyes... :D

Breck4x4[John]
June 23rd, 2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks. I have two goals:

1. Don't wreck. (Truly not concerned about that one in the least.)

2. Don't get DQ'd for going too fast, or far worse, too slow.

I've honestly never gotten the slightest bit nervous with scottycards in the left seat driving up to 168 mph. I hope he can say the same thing Saturday afternoon.

Steve,

Just remember, and Scotty will back this up, those cars are extremely stable and almost comfortable at the speeds you will be going.*

GOOD LUCK:beer:

*I have no ORR experience but have traveled from San Antonio to Fort Stockton on I-10 at "do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, go directly to jail" Speeds.

scottycards
June 23rd, 2010, 11:13 AM
John,

Why don't I make a pit stop to get you in Breck and you follow us to Wendover? There are still spots on the grid available!

You'll be home Sunday, one ORR under your belt!

Or we could meet at the log cabin on Main street in Frisco for breakfast if you want to tomorrow. Around 7AM or so? Let me know if you're up for it. That place is awesome- next to the mini-mart gas station?

Breck4x4[John]
June 23rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the offer, but some of use did not give our two weeks notice. Do post pics and I will eventually get my $hit together and make one of these. I have hit the 60-130 at Hennessey and had a blast.

redcj7
June 23rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Have fun. Wish I was going. Course I said that for Big Bend.

Maybe Marfa.

Hippie
June 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Good Luck boys

BTW - Scotty - did you remember to check and make sure your not running any BP or X/M products in the Vette :flipoff2: