PDA

View Full Version : Fitting full widths on trailer

VortecCJ
March 25th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Since going to full width axles this winter, I've run into the fitting it on the trailer problem. I'm about 4" too wide to fit between the fenders of the trailer.
I'm looking for ideas/pictures on what everyone else has done to modify their trailers to fit their rigs.

dndracing
March 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM
take 2x2 square tubing and weld them to the frame and up and over the length of the fenders , trying to fallow the lines of the fenders. Your tires will ride on these rails until it gets over the fenders. Sorry no pics

dcastell
March 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=164113

check this out. Couple threads below yours

cmd11
March 25th, 2010, 10:03 PM
i took some scrap 1 3/4in round tube, bent it to conform to the fenders and welded them in place. I just drive over one of the bars and the fenders are fine since the weight is supported by the bars.

VortecCJ
March 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Trailer turned out really nice dcastell. Maybe that will be my project for next winter. I was looking for something quick and easy for this summer.

CGuava
March 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Man, I must have some sort of Gorilla trailer. I can drive over my fenders and I don't have a bit of wrinkle or anything to em'. Next time I'm at my trailer I'm going to have to do a little investigating.

WhyJay
March 26th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Since going to full width axles this winter, I've run into the fitting it on the trailer problem. I'm about 4" too wide to fit between the fenders of the trailer.
I'm looking for ideas/pictures on what everyone else has done to modify their trailers to fit their rigs.

Hi Chris, I have a similar issue - I am at 84" wide and the trailer is 83" between the fenders - crunched the pass side fender a couple of times now. Been watching the trailer rebuild thread too. Very nice option but I am lazy so now thinking about making my fenders removable. When I get motivated this summer I'll share some photos with you.

VortecCJ
March 26th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Making the fenders removable was something I was thinking about. When you get motivated enough you can just come do mine!

josh
March 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I have a pj trailer that came with removable fenders. I usually just leave one off all the time. this is also very handy when loading things like pallets because you have a lot more room to get the forks in.

TwistedObsession
March 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
just get 2 8x8's and stack them on top of each other, cut them a few inches longer than your fenders and cut a 45* angle from top to bottom and then double nut some all-thread at one end and bolt the fender ramps through the trailer deck.

co84rc
March 29th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I have a pj trailer that came with removable fenders. I usually just leave one off all the time. this is also very handy when loading things like pallets because you have a lot more room to get the forks in.

x2

does make a hell of a spray on wet roads though.