PDA

View Full Version : info on good trailer aspects to look for

milehighcowboy
March 23rd, 2010, 01:27 PM
well last year i sold my f-150 and have been kicking myself every day. so i am looking at picking up an xj thats already built and a trailer to haul it to and from trails. What should i be looking for in a trailer that will work good for hauling an XJ with 35's?

CLYDE
March 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
ramps that store in the rear, rather than the side, makes a huge difference on your back:D Breaks on all 4 wheels, you will appreciate them going down the hills, or in a panic stop. 2 and 5/16 ball. the rest is all pretty much interchangeable...

Cresso
March 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
Spring for the bigger 5-7000 lb axles. The standard 3500lb axles on car haulers will be right at capacity every time you pull. Not good for longevity.

Clyde mentioned brakes on both axles. I believe it's not just safer, but also required by law.

As a general rule for prices, the farther east you go, the cheaper it'll be. You should be able to find a much better deal out there in Sterling than along the front range.

Personal preference-wise, I like wood decks and bulldog couplers. Also, dunno if all new trailers are coming with LED taillights now or not. If not, pick up a cheap set from a truck stop the first time a bulb dies. I haven't done so myself yet and I swear I have to replace a bulb every time I use the dang trailer.

CSP
March 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
I wish I had bought a 10k trailer every time I load my 7k trailer. I have a 14k gooseneck, but it's overkill most of the time.

Make sure that the structural construction is C-channel at the least. Do not settle for angle iron.

milehighcowboy
March 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
so a dual axle trailer with 4 wheel brakes load capacity of 5-10K per axle...
im going to buy a used trailer more than likely how can you tell for sure the ratings on an axle other than by what a guy says?

ZJROCKRIG
March 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
I'll add a wrap around tounge. Basicly, the channel that goes from the coupler follows all the way to the start of the wheel openings.

Some trailers are just angle and stop right at the front of the deck. It's then welded at the juction there.

A wrap around is usually 5"-6" "C" channel and is one piece. Way more stronger.

X2 on the rear egress ramps. I have a steel deck trailer and love it.

Cresso
March 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
so a dual axle trailer with 4 wheel brakes load capacity of 5-10K per axle...

5-7k per axle will give you a 10-14k rated trailer. I don't think I've ever seen axles as high as 10k on a standard car hauler.

I also have no idea how to look at them and determine the rating. I think there is a wheel difference - 15" vs. 16", maybe? I'm pulling that out of my ass, though. I don't really know.

Maybe you'll have better luck than me when looking at used trailers. When I bought mine, used trailers were going for awfully close to what a new trailer sells for. I think people forget what they paid and think it's worth more than it really is. I would definitely price out a new one and keep that in mind when looking in the classifieds.

CLYDE
March 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
look for 8 lug hubs, thats a pretty good indicator of 5k axles.

CLYDE
March 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
I would definitely price out a new one and keep that in mind when looking in the classifieds.My 20ft dovetail, 10k trailer was 3200 new, 2 years ago, here locally. I bought it to haul my bobcat, so went as heavy as I could afford..

josh j
March 23rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
Another reason to go for the 5-7k axles is you can fit tires with decent load ratings on them. I was on craigslist last night, and you wouldn't believe what kind of crap trailers people are trying to sell for $1500-2000...

milehighcowboy
March 24th, 2010, 07:38 AM
i have been noticing the crap that is listed there of late.a home built 5x6 for 1500. dumb is what it is.

CSP
March 24th, 2010, 12:02 PM
look for 8 lug hubs, thats a pretty good indicator of 5k axles.

Every 10k trailer (5k/axle) I've looked at has six lugs. My 14k gooseneck (7k/axle) is eight lug.

If in doubt the trailer should have the rating on the ID plate near or on the tongue.

x2 on what AMXROCKRIG said about the wrap around tongue.

CLYDE
March 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Every 10k trailer (5k/axle) I've looked at has six lugs. My 14k gooseneck (7k/axle) is eight lug.

If in doubt the trailer should have the rating on the ID plate near or on the tongue.

x2 on what AMXROCKRIG said about the wrap around tongue.:shrug:mines an 8 lug. but then the 10k rating was because of the tires it came with, they had the same trailer with heavier capacity tires that were a 12k.

milehighcowboy
March 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM
i think i found a trailer up here that is a 16 footer with dove tail and rear fold up ramps. guy thinks the axles are 3500 but was not 100% or on the brakes. i drove by this morn to check it out and it looked like a good possabliity. probably going to stop in here when it drys out a little more to check for brakes and do a better inspect.

tjjared413
March 25th, 2010, 09:22 AM
ramps that store in the rear, rather than the side, makes a huge difference on your back:D Breaks on all 4 wheels, you will appreciate them going down the hills, or in a panic stop. 2 and 5/16 ball. the rest is all pretty much interchangeable...

x2 on all that, i have my ramps are on the side and ill drive off the trailer 99% of the time with out them because i do nto like moving them around.

i have 2006 buck danny trail and i love it i got it used but the guy only used it like 3-4 times and it was stored in side. :cool:

milehighcowboy
March 25th, 2010, 10:02 AM
does any one know how or where to go to figure out the value of a trailer?

JeepWheelin02
March 25th, 2010, 10:47 AM
does any one know how or where to go to figure out the value of a trailer?

Its worth how ever much someone is willing to spend on it.

BumperMan
March 26th, 2010, 11:30 AM
2 things that will make life better, Actuall car hauler (no side rails), and at as wide as you can get 83" inside the fender wells.

74BuckinBronc
March 30th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Bull-dog coupler.
http://www.redtrailers.com/images/accessories/fullsize/21010.jpg

I have had one of these fail and take out the back window and gate of an SUV while unloading. :tisk:
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/12812_lg.gif

As others mentioned, no side rails, brakes on both axles, 5k axles, ramps off the back. I prefer NOT to have the fold down type, get the pull-out kind. I would also like loading jacks on the rear.

Dovetail is not a big deal for a wheeling rig. They can drag coming in and out of parking lots if you have it dovetailed. I prefer not to have it.

J.D.

Rex Ashton
April 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM
PM Morgan aka "The Yetti" ---- He's got one coming up for sale pretty darn cheap.....I think it's just been re-decked

birddog59
April 5th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I thought the yeti was that snow lover justin2 username coloradoxj the stay the trails guy? I got a 16 foot, with two 3500 dexter torsion axles. For $1100 on here from a member in Fairplay. It is a carhauler with no side rails (although there are the holders for holding them up and I built a four foot set for when we haul woood) only has brakes on one axle, and wooden decks. I shopped quite a while and the guy started out asking $1500.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/birddog59/Carhauler/cid_46499AE2-8B7F-4052-BB91-BDAB64B.jpg

Good luck in your quest!

milehighcowboy
April 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM
thanks guys i am still looking. if i find a trailer for the right price i will try to work something out, cause these truxus tires are soft as hell and leave black on my driveway just pulling in.