PDA

View Full Version : Product shooters?

ColoradoSkier
February 9th, 2010, 04:20 PM
How many of you are doing product shoots on a regular basis?

I am on my 3rd one of the year so far. Not a lot of $$ in it for me yet, but something is better than nothing.

Jeffro600
February 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Currently trying to work a deal with the West Marine boat store out here doing product photography for their Summer catalog their putting out in a few months...but their dragging their feet and im seriously considering canceling because they need almost 100 products photographed and their deadline is in less than a month before they send to finished products off to print.

They had originally given me a 2 month window to setup, photograph and edit all their products but because several of them require time on the water and i might be able to do one or two of the larger products in a day, its not looking like its gonna happen and i imagine their just going to run generic stuff. They have till next monday to give me the go or else im telling them to find someone else...not going to do a rush job and have them turn out like crap.

Like you, ive discovered its not a high paying job...but its a good bit of extra money.

ColoradoSkier
February 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Let me know if it plays out, you can sign my catalog. :)

I find it to be a nice break from shooting other stuff, or having to be overly creative. And I seem to be developing a rep for shooting hard to shoot stuff (mostly highly reflective surfaces).

Jeffro600
February 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM
If they give me the go, its going to be a REALLY fun shoot. There is a few different tubes, wakeboards, skis and a few other water toys that they wanted action shots of on the water....alot of the other stuff was boat covers, hardware, safety gear and other boating stuff.

We'll see... :shrug:

Ive been bidding for A LOT of jobs recently...CL has actually been fairly producting lately for finding jobs. Getting people convinced that you can offer better products than most of the other CL jokers is the tough part.

ColoradoSkier
February 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Are you running ads on CL, or responding to ads from people looking for services?

Jeffro600
February 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Mostly responding...its rare to get any response to an ad ive put in there advertising myself.

Cruise through the "creative gigs" section...sometimes its choked full of opportunities...problem is, the person who puts the ad in gets FLOODED with response and it makes it difficult to chose a person for the job.

Ive put fake ads in a while back requesting some photographers for a few different jobs...you would be astonished at the hundreds...thousands of responses i got...most of them were laughable at best.

ColoradoSkier
February 9th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I go through the Denver one periodically. Seems to mostly be people that want to barter for your time/ the pics. That's fine, they just don't have anything I need right now.

Jeffro600
February 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I go through the Denver one periodically. Seems to mostly be people that want to barter for your time/ the pics. That's fine, they just don't have anything I need right now.

Yup...lots of people who dont want to pay on CL...some locations are worse than others. We have about 4 or 5 different craigslist locations for about a 50 mile radius and they vary widely from one to the next.

ColoradoSkier
February 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Something is going on. Got an email to do a photoshoot for some renovations at a hotel. Doing that next week. And just got an email from a local electronic manufacturer about doing some product shoots for them. Wow... this is cool.

ColoradoSkier
February 11th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Trying to wrap up what has been the most challenging one yet - hair samples. These things are starting to all look the same to me.

Hotel next week, then the electronic stuff sometime the week after.

Jeffro600
February 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Make your your working with a carefully calibrated monitor...the same exposure, same white balance, same flash power...same everything when doing color samples.

What are the hair samples for??

ColoradoSkier
February 11th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Yep, got all that going on. Love my Spyder 3. The samples are for a lady who sells hair weaves. She has a big website grand opening on Monday. Went through two photogs that didn't produce work she liked. She likes what I am doing though.