PDA

View Full Version : Decisions-Decisions. . .(new camera)

rubbersidedown
January 31st, 2010, 06:01 PM
The Tax money is in. . .Sooooo, Im trying to decide between the Nikon D5000 and the Canon T1i. I went and played with both of them today. The Canon feels really "Flimsy" compared to the Nikon!!! The Nikon weighed about twice as much as the Canon! I think I like the functionality of the Canon better though. Can anyone help with some basic things to look for between the two!? Does the Nikon or the Canon come with better glass (looking at the 2 lens kits) HELP!

TIA!

~tc~
January 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM
www.dpreview.com for objective test results as this is kinda a partisan question, all the Canon folks are going to say T1i, all the Nikon people will say D5000.

rubbersidedown
January 31st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I kind of figured it would turn into a Canon/Nikon war. I know there were a couple of people on here that had used both. I have read the DPReview on the two camera's and really don't know enough "camera speak" to know what I'm reading! This will be my "coming out" and finally picking up a hobby I have always wanted to get into more seriously.

Jeffro600
January 31st, 2010, 07:06 PM
www.dpreview.com for objective test results as this is kinda a partisan question, all the Canon folks are going to say T1i, all the Nikon people will say D5000.

Not true...im a Canon guy but wouldnt shy away from the Nikon at all. Now if you asked the question on a Canon forum, expect a Canon bias.

Both are good cameras, with equally good image quality and features and price...you dont start seeing distinct advantages between comparable cameras till you get into the prosumer, professional line of cameras.

What its going to boil down to is which one feels better in your hands and which one has an easier to navigate menu system. No two people are alike and where as i might prefer brand X, you might like the feel of its competing brand better.

Go handle both, run through the menus of both and base your decision on which one just "feels" right.

cajun tj
January 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Not true...im a Canon guy but wouldnt shy away from the Nikon at all. Now if you asked the question on a Canon forum, expect a Canon bias.

Both are good cameras, with equally good image quality and features and price...you dont start seeing distinct advantages between comparable cameras till you get into the prosumer, professional line of cameras.

What its going to boil down to is which one feels better in your hands and which one has an easier to navigate menu system. No two people are alike and where as i might prefer brand X, you might like the feel of its competing brand better.

Go handle both, run through the menus of both and base your decision on which one just "feels" right.

I agree! Although...I tend to lean towards Nikon under most circumstances. Very "sound" advice!!!

~tc~
January 31st, 2010, 11:26 PM
Note that in the D5000 review they use the European model nomenclature - the Canon 500D is the same as the Rebel T1i

SBIUnlimited
February 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM

Completely concur with this advice. I have been a "Nikon guy" since the days of the F's, FE's, etc.....so I have "liked" the way the Nikon's feel in my big hands. but had a P/S Canon for years and took thousands of great pics with it. I got a smokin' deal on my Nikon and it just fits me. I would say....if you are packin' the camera around all day....the weight of the Nikon can get a bit much, but I like the stability and the confidence that the extra weight gives me. Totally personal preference as both will take remarkable pictures. Nowadays, the "video" thing that is built into most cameras can be a handy feature...if you are into that sort of thing. It adds a whole other wrinkle into the decision making process however. Good luck....it's not an easy decision, but whatever one you make....you'll be pleased with what the DSLR's bring to the table.

rubbersidedown
February 1st, 2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info so far everyone! I will get a little more hands on time with each one once I get back to Denver from Loveland. The Best Buy up here is the only store I could find with each camera. Ft Collins REALLY needs a Wolf or Mike's Camera!!! :D

Jeffro600
February 1st, 2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the info so far everyone! I will get a little more hands on time with each one once I get back to Denver from Loveland. The Best Buy up here is the only store I could find with each camera. Ft Collins REALLY needs a Wolf or Mike's Camera!!! :D

Isnt ther a Wolf(or Ritz) in the Mall in Ft Collins? Or did it close?

~tc~
February 1st, 2010, 11:13 PM
Didn't ALL the Wolf/Ritz in malls close? I think the only ones left open after the bankruptcy are the freestanding ones.

Mike's in Boulder ain't that far ...

Jeffro600
February 1st, 2010, 11:19 PM
Didn't ALL the Wolf/Ritz in malls close? I think the only ones left open after the bankruptcy are the freestanding ones.

Mike's in Boulder ain't that far ...

No idea...i never shopped there anyway cuz they were always way expensive...but i do remember hearing about them closing almost all their stores a while back.

Mikes is a pretty good store though...and more often than not, they will beat most bigger online retailers prices.

rubbersidedown
February 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Yep, almost all the Wolf Camera's have closed. There is a Mikes about a mile from my place. I will eventually buy from Amazon, but I want to hit up Mikes to play with them!

SBIUnlimited
February 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
When it's time to buy...consider Adorama and B&H Photo as well. I bought my stuff from B&H. They are a bit pricey on first glance, but do have some smokin' deals at times. Top notch service.
There are probably some other suggestions from others on this forum about where to buy...I've just had wonderful service and an overall great experience every time I buy from B&H.

~tc~
February 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
There is a Mikes about a mile from my place. I will eventually buy from Amazon, but I want to hit up Mikes to play with them!

IMHO, that's an asshole move. If all they are is a display counter, how are they going to stay in business so you can "play" with your potential next camera ?

Bring in printouts of the internet prices (including shipping) and at least give them an opportunity to price match (including tax).

ColoradoSkier
February 2nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Bring in printouts of the internet prices (including shipping) and at least give them an opportunity to price match (including tax).

I did this at Mike's when I bought my setup. They matched the B&H price and added in a kit that included a camera bag and a 2 year extended warranty (which I have subsequently used).

rubbersidedown
February 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
I plan on asking Mikes if they will match the price I have already found on Amazon! I found a pro kit with 2 lens', bag, filters, battery, and a wireless remote, all for under 900$. (T1i) Mikes price for just 2 lens' comes in at 1200$! If Mikes will match the kit price, they will get my money for sure!:thumbsup:

Jeffro600
February 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
They might, they might not...but it never hurts to ask.

Careful with those kits though...more often that not, they include a bunch of crap you wont use. The filters they are throwing in are no doubt bottom of the barrel and will diminish your image quality. Make sure the battery they are including is a genuine Canon...there are several aftermarkets that just wont last. Go for a good bag too...Lowepro makes some fantastic gear bags for well under 100 bucks that will last you pretty much forever...the cheap ones they usually throw in with the kits are usually poorly padded and made of less than stellar materials. Get one thats bigger than you think you need...as you grow in your photography skills, so will your gear collection. Same with the memory cards they include...go for quality SanDisk ones...the fastest and biggest you can afford.

BumperMan
February 4th, 2010, 04:45 AM
They might, they might not...but it never hurts to ask.

Careful with those kits though...more often that not, they include a bunch of crap you wont use. The filters they are throwing in are no doubt bottom of the barrel and will diminish your image quality. Make sure the battery they are including is a genuine Canon...there are several aftermarkets that just wont last. Go for a good bag too...Lowepro makes some fantastic gear bags for well under 100 bucks that will last you pretty much forever...the cheap ones they usually throw in with the kits are usually poorly padded and made of less than stellar materials. Get one thats bigger than you think you need...as you grow in your photography skills, so will your gear collection. Same with the memory cards they include...go for quality SanDisk ones...the fastest and biggest you can afford.

This is exellent advise. I would actually steer away from the kits. You will end up replacing pretty much everything in that kit except the camera in pretty short order (at least this is my experience) with higher quality stuff.

Were it me, I would just buy the body, and find a really good walking around lense then go from there.

rubbersidedown
February 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM
So I spent some time at Mike's today, and they cant come close to the deals I've found on line! :( I was hoping to have a new toy to play with this weekend!

Is there a place/company that will sell you extended warranties on a Camera you purchased elsewhere?? That is about the only thin I would be missing out on not buying from Mikes.

Tiffany
February 4th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Yes, buy from B&H and get the extended Mack warranty. That said, the idea of buy body and lens and go from there is WAAAAAAYYYYYY better than those POS kits. The only thing good in them is the body. You may get lucky and get a decent lens, but almost certainly you can find some good glass to buy that will be a much better investment over the long run.

I have been thinking about selling my gear, but every time I do I book another gig...

Like has been said, pay for quality. Especially memory cards!!! I learned my lesson 15 minutes in to a shoot what trying to save a few bucks on memory can jack you up big time.

Jeffro600
February 4th, 2010, 09:50 PM
That said, the idea of buy body and lens and go from there is WAAAAAAYYYYYY better than those POS kits. The only thing good in them is the body. You may get lucky and get a decent lens, but almost certainly you can find some good glass to buy that will be a much better investment over the long run.

This!

If your wanting to get serious into photography, buying a decent body and GOOD glass, will put you farther ahead of the game than one of those kits. I wouldnt turn my nose up at second hand gear either...almost all my gear was bought used and it works great! For 1000 bucks(roughly your spending price), you can get a good second hand body, several memory cards and at least one lens that will blow the standard kit lenses out of the water.

There are several other forums that have insane amounts of used gear pushed through them on a daily basis...and for the most part, they are all legit sellers that have some great gear for killer prices!

Tiffany
February 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
What Jeff said. All my gear is second hand and other than the well used 70-200L no one would know the difference.

You can get more for your money that way for sure. If you are leaning toward Canon then hit up www.photography-on-the.net/forums and live in the for sale area...great deals, great sellers. For Nikon, try Nikonians.org or Dgrin.com. You are welcome to check out my 50D if you want...have a birthday party to shoot tomorrow but you could check it out Sunday if you are going to Pam and Dave's. LMK!

rubbersidedown
February 5th, 2010, 02:08 PM
What Jeff said. All my gear is second hand and other than the well used 70-200L no one would know the difference.

You can get more for your money that way for sure. If you are leaning toward Canon then hit up www.photography-on-the.net/forums (http://www.photography-on-the.net/forums) and live in the for sale area...great deals, great sellers. For Nikon, try Nikonians.org or Dgrin.com. You are welcome to check out my 50D if you want...have a birthday party to shoot tomorrow but you could check it out Sunday if you are going to Pam and Dave's. LMK!

Thanks for the link Tiffany! Unfortunately I wont be able to make it down to Dave and Pam's! The GF needs to be in Loveland at 5pm to pick up her daughter from the Ex!

Thanks again everyone for the 411!!
I'm going to need a new PC/MAC badly once I get some shots taken. My 10 year old Dell will NOT cut it for post processing!!! So I need to save as much $$ as possible! Used equipment may just be my ticket!

Decisions-Decisions. . .

~tc~
February 5th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Costco has D5000 kit for like $849 and T1i for $949 IIRC. D3000 for $649

rubbersidedown
February 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM
So I spent a S*** load of money (for me at least) today! I picked up the T1i with the kit lens and also picked up a 50mm 1.8. I also picked up a new Dell Laptop so that I can actualy see what I want to edit! :D
Thanks again for all the 411 everyone! Im sure more questions will come now!! :)

Jeffro600
February 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Good deal! :thumbsup:

SBIUnlimited
February 15th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Congrats. Enjoy