PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Mustang

_CJ
January 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
315HP/30mpg V6 and a 415HP/25mpg V8. :eek:

Without forced induction!

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posteddriving/archive/2009/12/29/preview-2011-ford-mustang-gt-5-0l-v8-is-back.aspx

http://forums.themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=479341

Camp
January 5th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Living at elevation makes me never want another vehicle withOUT forced induction. :shrug: I own three vehicles that are plated and road legal, mostly...two of them are forced induction, with turbo's on the shelf to go on the third :D

_CJ
January 5th, 2010, 12:54 PM
That's the point. They don't have forced induction yet. Lots of potential for even more power. :thumbsup:

Camp
January 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
That's the point. They don't have forced induction yet. Lots of potential for even more power. :thumbsup:

Depending on how tight the motor is already wound. If it won't take much boost, it is pointless. That is part of what keeps me from putting the turbo on my third vehicle. More than about 6 pounds is asking for real trouble.

_CJ
January 5th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Depending on how tight the motor is already wound. If it won't take much boost, it is pointless. That is part of what keeps me from putting the turbo on my third vehicle. More than about 6 pounds is asking for real trouble.

Well, they're talking about even more power for 2012 so there's probably some potential.

Either way, the performance from the factory is impressive to me. Seems they're finally finding a way to make some advancements in power and economy which will be much appreciated when gas prices start to climb again.

Styling on the other hand leaves something to be desired for me. I think we'll be keeping the 2007 and looking at forced induction when it's paid off.

Camp
January 5th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I had an '97 Saleen for a while. I wish I'd have put the blower on it because the car handled great and I enjoyed the styling but, it was a gutless pig.

Steve
January 5th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Styling on the other hand leaves something to be desired for me. I think we'll be keeping the 2007 and looking at forced induction when it's paid off.

Same here, don't much care for the styling changes this year. We'll keep the '08 and keep making it 'better.' :evil:

Mcstiff
January 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM

I hope so; these days ~400 hp from a V8 is not a huge achievement. For example, the 2008 RS4 has 414hp from 4.2L. It sounds like the block is beefy so I bet 550+ without a drop in compression could happen. The real question is does it have forged pistons and rods.

Same here, don't much care for the styling changes this year. We'll keep the '08 and keep making it 'better.' :evil:

TWINS!

Clint
January 7th, 2010, 09:01 AM
No Secret – The 5.0 Liter V-8 is Back in the 2011 Mustang
It’s probably the worst-kept secret of 2009. But we can now officially tell you the 5.0 Liter V-8 is back! The 2011 Ford Mustang GT arrives with an all-new advanced 5.0-liter V-8 engine, developed by a passionate cadre of enthusiastic engineers who rallied around the common goal of delivering more than 400 horsepower. The modern 5.0-liter four-valve Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) V-8 engine in the new Mustang GT will deliver 412 horsepower and 390 ft.-lb. of torque. At the same time, fuel economy is projected to be better than the previous model and unsurpassed in the segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvLEx10KgE&feature=player_embedded

mtn WJ
January 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Ford has several new engines for 2010,

Ecoboost Turbo V6 315 hp in the Mustang great for Colordado altitude
Ecoboost Twin Turbo V6 365 hp in Taurus SHO 13.75 Quarter mile Taurus.
3.5 V6 Non turbo 265hp in Fusion Sport with the 3.0 pushing 253hp on E85.
5.0 mod motor in mustang 412 hp
6.2 L mod motor 400 hp in F150 Raptor over 400lbs of Tq.
6.7 L Diesel twin turbo not sure on final numbers but a cool way of routing the exhaust to the turbos. Basically the engine was designed with turbos from the begining. Will have minimal lag and efficient intercooler. New super duty engine. Will be shipping soon.

There are bunch more Ecoboost 4s and 6s too. Fusion will have a SVT model at 400plus HP. Supposed to compete with S4.

Something else I just read is a Mopar built 4.7 L stroker from Jeep. 265hp and designed to swap in any Jeep with a factory 4.0. Abought time.

I agree on the new Mustang. I like the front and sides but the rear falls pretty short. Should have left it alone until such time as they are prepared to really make a substancial difference. The Camaro is giving the Mustang a real run in sales for the first time since 1969. That because Chevy hit the nail on the head. Challenger is ok but frankly falls short on performance compared to price and supposed specs. Too bad. Standard Mustang GT comes close in ETs for a lot less and the Camaro spanks it for less money. I believe the modern Hemis put out the power they claim, but why do the cars and trucks they put them in fall short on performance. Seems odd to me.

Steve
January 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I believe the modern Hemis put out the power they claim, but why do the cars and trucks they put them in fall short on performance. Seems odd to me.

Because, at least in the case of the Challenger, the cars they put the modern hemis in are heavy pigs. The advertised curb weights from the manufacturers are ~3500 lb for the Mustang GT and ~4100 lb for the 5.7L hemi-equipped Challenger.

I read a head-to-head test article in Road and Track a few months ago where they tested a Mustang GT against a 5.7L hemi Challenger. While the Challenger is listed as having more HP by the manufacturer, the Mustang spanked it in almost every category because of the significant weight difference.

With the 5.0 having about 100 HP more than the current 4.6, the 5.0-equipped Mustang GT will put both the hemi-equipped Challenger and the Camaro to shame.

Mcstiff
January 7th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Ecoboost Turbo V6 315 hp in the Mustang great for Colordado altitude

This will embarrass many V8 drivers up here.

mtn WJ
January 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I agree - too many Mustangs sales on the line to sleep at the wheel.

It seems Ford is trying to go both directions. Green and Mucscle. Good fit for the varied US market.

GM is trying to do the same thing, Chrysler has a ways to go. Selling Fiats may be the answer. Not my cup to tea though.

mtn WJ
January 7th, 2010, 10:20 AM
This will embarrass many V8 drivers up here.

I beat an older V8 Mustang with my Fusion V6. Not really a fair thing since it was a stock 88 or 89 and a kid driving it. But afterwards my 10 yr daughter said , "you just dissed that guy". I was proud.

_CJ
January 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
It seems Ford is trying to go both directions. Green and Mucscle. Good fit for the varied US market.

Personally, I'm pretty satisified with the 210HP V6 in my 2007, which is probably more like 160HP here at 6000ft. Plenty of power for a daily driver.

The 315HP/30mpg V6 is great, but I'd rather see them focus on increasing the mpg's more. Maybe 200-250HP with 35-40 mpg. Maybe do it with a turbo or two and make it flex-fuel to further differentiate it from the GT and attract some of the import/tuner crowd.

EDIT: Looks like there are some V8 eco-boost rumors floating around out there. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/13/rumormill-ecoboost-v8-ford-shelby-mustang-in-the-pipeline/

Steve
January 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Personally, I'm pretty satisified with the 210HP V6 in my 2007, which is probably more like 160HP here at 6000ft. Plenty of power for a daily driver.

As someone who owned a 2006 V6/auto and now owns a 2008 "tweaked" 5 speed GT, I can say that the latter is way more fun. :D

Mcstiff
January 7th, 2010, 11:08 AM
SVO!

I a person wanted to they could create a tune that limited boost and optimized MPG unless WOT.

I hope that the OEMs give this a try (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.motoiq.com%252FMagazineArticles%252Ftabid%252F59%252FarticleType%252F ArticleView%252FarticleId%252F1288%252FPageID%252F1438%252FTechnobabble-Electric-Cars-and-Turbos-how-MIT-is-Going-to-Save-The-World.aspx&h=4b068af11a9e26ef12616ca7c9c8addb&ref=mf). It seems silly to use E85 vs E100 if you are trying to have a tank that gets filled every 5k. Even sillier and perhaps more importantly is that with a high cyl PSI engine you could just run E85 :shrug: I would love to have the ability to blend 85 OCT and E100 on the fly based on boost and load :D You could switch from 85 OCT cruise to 120 OCT WOT like that.

mtn WJ
January 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
CJ

I am sure you are aware of all the super charger and turbo options for the V6 Mustangs. They can be built to some pretty cool specs. A guy that works for my company in California has a blown V6 Mustang, it was a dealer optioned car and I do not recall who the builder was. It has a tweaked suspension too. He took me for a ride over lunch one day when I was at the corp office. It was badass to say the least. the lighter weight V6 and forced air induction is a plus for some people and why there is a growing number of V6 tuner mustangs.

Me I like the 4.6 motor. I had a 4.6 4 CAM SVT in a Marauder. It was very smooth, lots of torque and seemed bullet proof. The Mod motors can really last a long time if properly maintained. Lots of Crown Vics with 3-400k miles in the taxi cabs.

_CJ
January 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
As someone who owned a 2006 V6/auto and now owns a 2008 "tweaked" 5 speed GT, I can say that the latter is way more fun. :D

Did a little research on the "Pony Package" we have. Seems they increased the sway bar thickness, increased the spring rate, different shocks than standard V6 fare. Don't know if they used GT parts, but it would make sense. This car is just downright fun to drive as a daily driver. :thumbsup: