PDA

View Full Version : Metal Prints

JeepDiva
December 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Has anyone ever gotten any metal prints done, like these? Or have any experience with Bay Photo?
http://www.bayphoto.com/bayweb/pro_metalprints.htm

It seems like it would be pretty cool to get a few 4-wheeling photos printed this way.

ColoradoSkier
December 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM
People at dgrin have been raving about them. Bay Photo is one of the fulfillment houses for Smugmug and people seem happy.

After seeing the ad and story in Rangefinder about Metal Art, I might try one of their pieces...

Jeffro600
December 4th, 2009, 11:32 PM
The results ive seen are almost identical to what you get when you print on metallic paper...but WAYYY more expensive. The lady who ordered those canvas's from me had some on display...not sure if they were from Bay Photo or not though. I guess if you needed the durability of the aluminum or just wanted something different, then it would be a good option but from a bang for your buck standpoint, you'd be much better off with prints on metallic paper and then mounting\framing them. It gives them a real shimmery, deep 3D look.

JeepDiva
December 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM
People at dgrin have been raving about them. Bay Photo is one of the fulfillment houses for Smugmug and people seem happy.

After seeing the ad and story in Rangefinder about Metal Art, I might try one of their pieces...

These? http://www.metalmural.com/ They look cool too, but don't show any price info on their website.

The results ive seen are almost identical to what you get when you print on metallic paper...but WAYYY more expensive. The lady who ordered those canvas's from me had some on display...not sure if they were from Bay Photo or not though. I guess if you needed the durability of the aluminum or just wanted something different, then it would be a good option but from a bang for your buck standpoint, you'd be much better off with prints on metallic paper and then mounting\framing them. It gives them a real shimmery, deep 3D look.

Seems like quality mounting/framing would probably put the cost of the metallic paper print higher than the metal print with the float mounting blocks? No?

Jeffro600
December 5th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Seems like quality mounting/framing would probably put the cost of the metallic paper print higher than the metal print with the float mounting blocks? No?

Thats where they fall into the "something different" category. Depends on who does your framing too...i do alot of my own and if you shop around, you can get some KILLER deals on frames and i bet i would have less than half of the cost on one of those larger size metal prints into a framed metallic. Even custom framing isnt too terribly expensive when you catch them on sale. Its all in how resourceful and penny pinching you wanna be... :P