PDA

View Full Version : How many photo sites do you use?

ColoradoSkier
December 1st, 2009, 07:56 AM
Wrestling with whether or not to cancel my flickr account this year since I am now on Smugmug. I actually have 2 flickr accounts, but the wife wants one of them to remain sedate and unpublicized just as a place for family to see the pics. To that end, I started another one for my professional stuff. At the moment I am inclined to keep it since the sharing and community aspects are better than those on smugmug. At least I think so. Seems to me they serve 2 different purposes.

What do you think?

Tiffany
December 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM
I will always keep Flickr cause it's so much easier to share things from there.

ColoradoSkier
December 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Kinda where I was leaning, and for $25, hard to beat.

Jeffro600
December 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
I will always keep Flickr cause it's so much easier to share things from there.

Sort of the same here...except i cant stand flickr for some odd reason...Instead, i use Photobucket for all my online hosting. Its simple, its fast, its free...i like that. The interface is not nearly as nice looking, but its great for hosting photos for sharing on the web or submitting a password protected proof gallery to clients for review.

I didnt update my Zenfolio page because it landed me one single job the entire 2 years i had it...and i did promote it fairly heavily. At almost 50 bucks a year, thats money i could spend elsewhere on business cards, flyers, coupons, etc. Problem is, everyone has a flashy looking, functional website nowdays so its like digging through the phone book...who has the best looking one while the others get thumbed through and not given the time of day. But there again, Tiff and yourself are pretty talented web designers so you have a definite advantage over the average joe web cruiser such as myself who doesnt want to shell out large amounts of cash to have someone design a site... :P

As far as using the site for advertising goes, there are better ways to do it IMO...at least for me who is not quite as web savvy. For what it cost me for one year of Zen, i had 250 high quality business cards and 250 3.5x8.5 card stock business fliers printed...my Dads GF works at a Salon and i had her put up a little kiosk i made displaying some of the cards and flyers and some examples of my work and have actually had quite a few portrait sessions(both individual and family) and even 2 weddings come out of it in the last 6-8 months. Going to try to see if she can talk the other shops(its a small chain) to do the same thing. Its slow work but its somewhat steady...ive been averaging 2 jobs a month because of it and i think if i can extend to a larger fanbase, i could easily double, or triple that number with minimal cost to me. All it cost me was the cards, fliers and to do a free portrait session with the stylists so they could hang their portraits in the salon...but has returned its cost SEVERAL times over in a short time.

ColoradoSkier
December 1st, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hey, that's a good idea. We have a friend who owns a hair salon, that might work...

Tiffany
December 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM
This will be my last year on SmugMug for sure. It was nice while I wanted to be lazy and not build my own site, but I have picked up more bix from word of mouth and biz cards than the SmugMug site.

And now with fotomoto I can do almost everything on my own site with little hassle. I wasn't particularly impressed with SmugMugs prints so only used that feature about 3 times.

thenimirra
December 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
I decided not to renew my Google Picasa web albums as well as my pro Flickr account. I still have a free Flickr account and just upload my favorites from a session. Everything I do is with SmugMug now including storing all my files and vid with SmugVault. I have wrestled with whether or not to keep my SmugMug account, but I keep sticking with them until I find something that offers as much as they for $150