PDA

View Full Version : Goose Hunting

BigChev
November 23rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
For all of you waterfowl hunters out there, since the season just opened up, where are some good spots to go? I would like to avoid SWA's since they were packed with people on Saturday. Have, or know of any good private land, I may be able to get landowner permission to hunt on? I would be willing to share birds, or lease if the price is right.

bigo1966
November 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Im in the same boat.

Colin
November 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
How far ya'll willing to drive?

kmon35
November 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
I've never tried one, but I see ads on craigslist quite a bit for leases.

You could also call Bruce's in Severence, I think he still leases out pits by the day.

It's getting harder to hunt if you don't have a lot of money.

BigChev
November 24th, 2009, 12:05 PM
The drive I'm not too worried about. Over 2 hours and that is pushing it, but have driven as much as 3 hours. I don't need a pit, I don't plan on leaving decoys out, I don't drive on fields, just want a place that is off the beaten path where I don't have to worry about the guy 50 yards down from me on the same lake.

Don't have a lot of money, so it has usually been on public land, the hard way. I was hoping someone might know of a plot of land that I may be able to try out.

About the last thing I want to do is pay an outfitter. They charge an arm and a leg, and it is just for the location.

bigo1966
November 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ive always wanted to try 11 mile for goose, who knows if there are any up there. http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/ElevenMile/ParkActivities/Hunting/

map.

http://parks.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/1E5568C2-F05B-45BF-A341-63AEE95E7372/0/11MileMapHuntingClosure1714.pdf

BigChev
November 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Not a bad idea. I am trying to find a field right now. I don't have floating decoys or a boat, so I try and stray from large lakes until they freeze over.

BigChev
November 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Ive always wanted to try 11 mile for goose, who knows if there are any up there. http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/ElevenMile/ParkActivities/Hunting/

map.

http://parks.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/1E5568C2-F05B-45BF-A341-63AEE95E7372/0/11MileMapHuntingClosure1714.pdf

I think lake Dillon is the same way. Do some fishin' and shoot some geese. Sounds like fun.

Colin
November 25th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I have some lines for some private property near Fort Morgan. I'll give the owner's a call and see how flexible they are.

BigChev
November 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
That would be awesome Colin, thanks. I used to hunt north of Snyder out there way back when. Loved the area and lots of geese, but the field we had just didn't line up with the normal flight routine of the geese.

mrutledge
November 30th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Most of the mountain areas freeze up and drive the geese out early. Many can be good for the early goose split though.

Avoid Bruce's. That isn't hunting. It's pass shooting surrounded by idiots. Same with Bar Lake State park. If you go, you'll have the same luck without decoys or calls.

If you have all your own gear many outfitters will lease a field to you for the day. Back Country Waterfowl is a very small club with some decent properties. I was a member for a while. I believe season dues are $600. Last I heard Tom did day hunts for $50-$75. He posts on craigslist when he has club openings.

Don't forget the DOW walk in access areas, state trust lands, and state parks. (See the waterfowl brochure for special regulations.) With a little scouting you should be able to find one that will see some traffic. Contrary to popular belief these properties are not limited to pheasant. Just don't mess up the field when trying to conceal yourself. That tends to upset the landowner and other hunters.

Sadly, waterfowling in colorado has become expensive. Opening days on public lands are crowded. Weekends tend to be crowded. If you can sneak out during the week, or hunt the evening, you'll have better luck with the crowds.

Oh, please be respectful of others when hunting public lands. I won't go into a rant here, but don't hunt over someone else's decoys. Most people would rather have you join them than deal with that sort if crap.

-Matt

ASCTLC
November 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Delt with hunters over our decoys and efforts on Saturday morning up here. One pair stayed a somewhat respectable ways out but another single hunter got quite a bit closer, got greedy and tried sky busting on a group coming in for another round before landing. The pair of guys we spoke with after we packed up said there was no way in hell that guy could have hoped to hit a goose. Greed got the better of him and he thought he'd better try before someone else had a chance.

BigChev
November 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Completely agree with you mrutledge and ASCTLC. I actually spoke with Tom at Back Country and thought about joining. No money for it this year, and wanted the fee right now. That's pretty tough with the holidays coming up.

I went public land Sunday and got three geese but had to deal with sky busters on both ends of the area. Makes it hard to work birds that want to land over my dekes.

I do not pass shoot. I don't think that is the way to hunt. Sure I could get a 10 gauge and shoot some of that exotic stuff and kill geese at 70 yards. But what's the fun in that? I like to call the geese in and watch them work my decoys. Seeing all those birds cupped and committed is flat awesome!

mrutledge
November 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I went public land Sunday and got three geese but had to deal with sky busters on both ends of the area. Makes it hard to work birds that want to land over my dekes.

Not many people bagged birds this weekend. May I ask what part of the state you were in? No need to be too specific...

-Matt

BigChev
December 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Fort Collins/Loveland area. I didn't expect to see many birds but there for about an hour there were birds everywhere. I talked to another hunter out there and there was a guy with 8 to 10 dozen dekes and his group got 8 or 9.

Must be nice to have that many. Its only money right? I have a dozen.

mrutledge
December 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Fort Collins/Loveland area. I didn't expect to see many birds but there for about an hour there were birds everywhere. I talked to another hunter out there and there was a guy with 8 to 10 dozen dekes and his group got 8 or 9.

Must be nice to have that many. Its only money right? I have a dozen.

Nothing but money... Silhouettes are a good way to add numbers to a spread without breaking the bank. That and craigslist.

Looks like there has been a push of birds recently. Friday can't get here quick enough.

BigChev
December 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
I have had good luck with small spreads of realistic decoys. I don't have a private field that I can drive out on and unload my trailer with decoys in it. Which goose hunting has largely turned into.

Super large spreads are effective if you have the field to put them in, and several people to call.

I would like a super large field to hunt in, between my dozen and my hunting partner we have 8 dozen decoys. But no where to put them. And there is no way I am carrying all those into a public area, with the walk most of them take.

Weather report says cold weather tomorrow and Thursday, hopefully push some more birds in! Weekend can't come fast enough!

ASCTLC
December 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
We walk in and carry our decoys on public access. A mix of shell and silos. Just no way we can justify paying our way to land use. Success may be limited comapred to private but then again, success is that much more rewarding.

Was watching a video last night Foiles Goose Calling and am just baffled by his numerous comments of getting in the field bagging his limit and getting back home as fast as he could. WTF? Can only guess he doesn't like the hunt and feels ego pressured to bag as fast as possible. Either that or he has hunting partners he can't stand to be around :shrug: IMO, don't waste a cent on that video. Had about 15-20 minutes of actual calling information at the start of the vid, then the rest of the hour+ was total advertisement.

BigChev
December 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
We walk in and carry our decoys on public access. A mix of shell and silos. Just no way we can justify paying our way to land use. Success may be limited comapred to private but then again, success is that much more rewarding.

Was watching a video last night Foiles Goose Calling and am just baffled by his numerous comments of getting in the field bagging his limit and getting back home as fast as he could. WTF? Can only guess he doesn't like the hunt and feels ego pressured to bag as fast as possible. Either that or he has hunting partners he can't stand to be around :shrug: IMO, don't waste a cent on that video. Had about 15-20 minutes of actual calling information at the start of the vid, then the rest of the hour+ was total advertisement.

Agreed. I can't justify it either.

I have the same Foiles DVD, the calling instruction was good, what little there was of it. When he did explain it, and then his example was so fast you couldn't really pick out the sound that well. If you are looking for a good goose calling DVD/CD get the bad grammar one with Scott Thrienin. Very good, highly recommend!

ASCTLC
December 1st, 2009, 03:14 PM
Agreed. I can't justify it either.

I have the same Foiles DVD, the calling instruction was good, what little there was of it. When he did explain it, and then his example was so fast you couldn't really pick out the sound that well. If you are looking for a good goose calling DVD/CD get the bad grammar one with Scott Thrienin. Very good, highly recommend!

I've heard the same about the Bad Grammer. Unfortunately after I lost my $20 on the Foiles.

Good luck to you this weekend. Not sure if I'll be up here around Greeley somewhere or way down south somewhere this weekend but looking so forward to the COLD weather coming in.

BigChev
December 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Bad grammar is much better. Each track has recordings of live geese, the voice inflection he uses into the call, SLOW examples of it, then how he uses it out hunting (with example) and how he uses it on the contest stage (with example).

BigChev
December 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
I've heard the same about the Bad Grammer. Unfortunately after I lost my $20 on the Foiles.

Good luck to you this weekend. Not sure if I'll be up here around Greeley somewhere or way down south somewhere this weekend but looking so forward to the COLD weather coming in.

Thanks! You too!

kmon35
December 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM
The only time I think it helps to get into and then out of a field quickly, is to keep the geese comming back. I have a friend who has permission on a lot of different farms, and he usually rotates them to keep the pressure down.

A couple years ago, the snow was so bad, they were only comming into one field. We would set up a small spread, shoot at the first 2 flocks, and that was it for the day. The geese would keep flying in there day after day.

mrutledge
December 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
The only time I think it helps to get into and then out of a field quickly, is to keep the geese comming back. I have a friend who has permission on a lot of different farms, and he usually rotates them to keep the pressure down.

A couple years ago, the snow was so bad, they were only comming into one field. We would set up a small spread, shoot at the first 2 flocks, and that was it for the day. The geese would keep flying in there day after day.

That is an excellent strategy. Gives the birds a spot to do their thing and keeps your possession numbers down so you can hunt more.

Shaping up to be a good weekend. I haven't seen this many birds in the area since the push back north last spring. I'll be hiding under a pile of cut corn stalks come sun rise Friday morning...

Jeffro600
December 2nd, 2009, 04:03 AM
You guys need to go further east...

We were out near Bonnie Reservoir and Hale Ponds(north of Burlington) 2 weeks ago and i couldnt believe how thick the geese, duck and pheasant were. You probably could have had your limit on all the above in a matter of minutes...i limited out on Pheasant in less than an hour and that was being selective with what i was shooting at. We went the day after the opener and were the only ones around for miles. TONS of state trust land out there too. If i would have had my waterfowl stamp at the time, it would have been game on!

mrutledge
December 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
You guys need to go further east...

We were out near Bonnie Reservoir and Hale Ponds(north of Burlington) 2 weeks ago and i couldnt believe how thick the geese, duck and pheasant were. You probably could have had your limit on all the above in a matter of minutes...i limited out on Pheasant in less than an hour and that was being selective with what i was shooting at. We went the day after the opener and were the only ones around for miles. TONS of state trust land out there too. If i would have had my waterfowl stamp at the time, it would have been game on!

You know Jeffro, I haven't been out that way since I was a kid. I might have to check it out Monday and see if I can bring home some pheasant.

-Matt

ASCTLC
December 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
I've never been out Bonnie Resv. way before. Will have to try to study the maps and figure out the areas that allow access (I'm new to bird and waterfowl hunting).

Andy

BigChev
December 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
http://www.ducks.org/Hunting/Decoys/4739/FiveDeadlyGooseSpreads.html?poe=Dec09Enews

Here is an article from DU about decoy spreads. Just thought I would share the info.

Out east is great for waterfowl. Especially the South Platte River between Fort Morgan and Brush. Always a ton of birds out there. A guy I work with did really well on pheasant opening day around Joes Colorado. I haven't been pheasant hunting in colorado yet this year. Went to Kansas on the opener and we shot 113 pheasants!

ASCTLC
December 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the spread info. Anything's gotta be better than just throwing them around (but then again, maybe not :shrug: )

mrutledge
December 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Still slow going at my fields up north. You guys killing anything yet?

-Matt

ASCTLC
December 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Nope. It's like the geese haven't even begun coming through yet. Wierd year.

mrutledge
December 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Nope. It's like the geese haven't even begun coming through yet. Wierd year.

That's actually a fair assessment. I think we have birds from Wyoming, but none from Montana and points further north. Very few greaters in the area.

Rumors of not much snow and lots of available food up in Montana and central Canada.

Action is starting to pick up around the Ft. Collins area, but it's not what we usually see around this time of year.

-Matt

BigChev
December 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Some guys are having great years, and others have seen very few birds. I myself have gotten 4 this year. Better than last year. So I can't complain. I've never had a spot that I come away with my limit each time.

Area around DIA is LOADED with birds!!! Massive flocks around that area.