PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Photo Equipment

Jocko
October 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I used to foolishly think it couldn't happen to me. Was I ever wrong.

Saturday night, after attending my daughter's gymnastics meet, I had both hands full carrying in dinner. "I'll go out and get my camera bag after I eat," I thought. Well, I didn't go back out and the next morning I saw my truck had been broken into. The only thing they grabbed was the bag. They didn't rummage through anything else. Unfortunately for me, the bag had my Nikon D3 (with two 8 gig cards in it and all the photos from the meet), 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, SB-800 speed-lite and SD-8A battery pack.

My stomach tied into a knot and disbelief and rage overwhelmed me. What an idiot I was to not go back out and get the bag that had nearly ten grand worth of gear in it. I am working with my insurance co. right now to see what is covered. Luckily for me it looks like my policy will cover up to $10,000. I will only believe it when I see it. Regardless, I need to replace the stolen gear.

Check your policies and make sure you are covered. If not, add an underwriters policy to cover you gear. And make sure, if you are using your gear for commercial work in any way, shape or form, you are properly insured. I am starting a policy for $25,000 and $1,000,000 liability for $560/year.

THIS SUCKS!

BumperMan
October 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Chad;

I am so sorry to hear this. This is a delima that has plagued me since I started this. I can not have any type of photo equipment at work, but often want to shoot after work. I never know what to do, and always end up going home to get my gear, and wasting precious time. This is a reminder to me to not leave my gear in the truck.

Again, sorry to hear. Fawkin theives.

CYAN5DE
October 27th, 2009, 12:08 PM
glad it is (maybe) covered. Hope it is.

that is from your homeowners insurance?

Jocko
October 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks Bud. You just never know. I have left so much stuff in my pick up over the years and have never thought twice about it. I am so frustrated with myself now. Everyone is a suspect now. I don't even trust some of my neighbors. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

Cyan5de,

I talked to a USAA rep earlier. Luckily they upped their coverage on stolen items to $10,000 from $2,500 last February. I hope it all pans out. I also have a $2,500 reward on Craiglist for the return of the stolen gear.

Tiffany
October 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
That is horrible Chad!!!

There have been many a night I have said I will grab the gear in the morning only to have that nagging feeling to get up out the warm bed and go bring my stuff in the house. But I have a group if misfits at the top of the cul-de-sac so the likelihood of things going missing are pretty high for me...

I sure do hope insurance covers everything and you can get it replaced quickly.

Jocko
October 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks Tiff.

I'm a nervous wreck right now.

ArloGuthroJeep
October 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Sorry to hear about the theft:(

I have all my camera gear insured through State Farm. $3000 is something like $3/month, $8000 is $7/month I believe. Pretty cheap considering is covers theft, loss, damage, etc...$0 deductible.

scottycards
October 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I saw this headline, and then saw it was Jocko. Don't know you Chad, but I always am amazed by your photo skills.

Horrible news. I hope insurance comes through for you, and you're back in action soon.

Thieves are such lowlifes. Man, sorry to hear this news.

thenimirra
October 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
omg! I've done this before too! So don't kick yourself too much. We've all probably done it. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I can only imagine the heartache and anger. Pisses me off just thinking about it. Fracking theives. Some stupid kids tried to break into basement where my studio equipment is kept. Thankfully I had an alarm, but you feel so violated. And to have those memories gone on the cards that they took from you too....

I'm so glad you have insurance though. I have that underwriter's coverage you spoke of and it not only covers my equipment but it covers my clients too if they trip over a cord, break their leg and try to sue me!

Totally understand about feeling paranoid too. I feel like everyone on my block knows I'm the single lady that does all the photography...you feel like a target. But slowly, you start to gain a sense of security again.

Jocko
October 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks everyone. Right now I am working with my rep. So far she has been very helpful. I hope it all works out in the end.

I'm still pissed though.

Jocko

JeepDiva
October 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM
That sucks! I hope everything goes smoothly with the insurance company.

Clint
October 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Chad, Ill post this over on lunatic when I get a chance tonight, might turn up in a pawn shop over here in GJ or something...

BumperMan
October 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM
At least you have USAA. If anyone is going to cover it without too much hassle it is them. Good luck man. I will add really nice gear to my CL search.

ColoradoSkier
October 28th, 2009, 07:29 AM
So sorry to hear that. Of course the gear can be replaced, but the pics you lost too, that sucks more I think.

Jocko
October 31st, 2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks again everyone!

I am happy to say USAA stepped up big time. The settlement will replace everything that was stolen. I am buying "like new-but used" stuff to replace my gear because it will keep the price down and some of the items I had are no longer made or are back ordered.

I thought long and hard about waiting for the D3s to arrive (supposedly late November) but decided to stay with a proven work horse. I am foregoing the 50mm prime and invested in a 14-24 2.8 instead. Now I need to decide if I want an overpriced SB-800 and battery pack or an overpriced SB-900 and battery pack. The bulk of my new gear will arrive Wednesday and I feel like a kid counting down the days until Christmas.

I still feel sick to my stomach that someone would do this AND that I left my gear in my truck. I would be feeling even more sick if it wasn't for USAA. Luckily they changed their policy in February to cover theft of any items (business related or not) from $2,500 to $10,000. If it weren't for that, I would be replacing most stuff out of pocket.

One final note: CHECK YOUR INSURANCE POLICY and MAKE SURE YOU ARE COVERED. The Shutterbug "regulars" would all be considered professional in the eyes of the insurance company. If at the very least, get property coverage on your gear. I got lucky... you might not get so lucky.

JeepDiva
October 31st, 2009, 08:26 AM
Great news! Something tells me the UPS man won't even make it out of his truck when he brings your new gear :D

potter
October 31st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Sweet! Good to hear they've got you covered.

BumperMan
November 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks to your misfortune, I called USAA last week and added a rider for my gear. Which is not even close to the gear you lost.

Jocko
November 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
Good for you Budman. The peace of mind is well worth the money.

Now don't go doing anything stupid like leaving your gear in your truck!

Hayes
November 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Glad to hear things are going to work out for you. I left my laptop in my car one night and it got stolen. It's crazy how that happens. Now I don't leave anything in my car anymore. I even leave the glovebox open so they know there isn't anything in there that they might want.

Jeffro600
November 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Good to hear they took care of ya! USAA is pretty good about taking care of their customers...i had them for a while before switching to State Farm but i think im going to go back to them after the first of the year.

I carry a 10K rider on all my gear and it covers everything...including any computers, printers, studio gear or anything else i have in tow with me. About 2 months ago i dropped my 100-400L in the Pacific and turned it into a 3 pound worthless salty brick...they bought me a brand new one, pretty much no questions asked!