PDA

View Full Version : seriously thinking hard about

thenimirra
October 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
leaving the Post and finding a position (probably more like two part time positions) doing photography at various portrait studios in town. I really do think I've reached my limit dealing with the print journalism side and I'm tired of splitting my focus.

But damn...giving up health benefits and a full time gig is hard to do.

I don't think I'm ready to try to do the studio all by itself. But if I were at least working as a full time photographer, I think that would be a better step in the ultimate right direction.

What say you shutterbugs?

ASCTLC
October 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
I'm not a shutterbug but can only advise; leave on the best of terms. While it may not help, you'll torture yourself mentally if you need to look their direction again in the future and realize you left on anything but the best of terms. BTDT when I was young and it made it tougher than it needed to be.

And good luck if you move on.

Andy

Jeffro600
October 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
But damn...giving up health benefits and a full time gig is hard to do.

What say you shutterbugs?

If your not happy, your not happy...BUT,

Only a fool would give up a paying, full time job with benefits in todays economy! :P

My booking rate has been spotty at best the last 6 months or so...sometimes its non stop, sometimes its dead for months straight. Its not enough to live off of thats for sure but luckily i have other means for income at the moment so its nice to have the supplemental money coming in when i do book jobs.

I dunno, personally, id stick it out for a while longer, maybe another 6 months or so and see that the economy does. It still could get alot worse and if you quit, you cant collect unemployment. If anything, do something to get fired...(kidding) :D

ColoradoSkier
October 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
The rational side of me agrees with Jeffro. But I want to say I am both impressed at how far you have come in 2 years, and also quite jealous that you have reached a point where you are considering this. I love my job, but I think my passion really lies in photography. Someday I hope to have the self-confidence to do it professionally, but in the meantime I can humor myself when the fancy strikes.

thenimirra
October 23rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Yeah, the rational side (and the one that had to talk to my next door neighbor this morning who got laid off) is telling me I have to stay where I am. The gigs I'm getting wouldn't be enough to pay the mortgage. It's really supplemental income. I wonder though if I would get more clientele if I had time to focus on just the marketing and business of photography. As it is, I'm working 8 to 10 hour shifts at the Post, and 2-4 hours in the morning on the photography before I head in to the day job. It's getting tiring, but on the other hand, I'm blessed to have a full time job when so many others don't have one.

Jeffro600
October 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah, the rational side (and the one that had to talk to my next door neighbor this morning who got laid off) is telling me I have to stay where I am. The gigs I'm getting wouldn't be enough to pay the mortgage. It's really supplemental income. I wonder though if I would get more clientele if I had time to focus on just the marketing and business of photography. As it is, I'm working 8 to 10 hour shifts at the Post, and 2-4 hours in the morning on the photography before I head in to the day job. It's getting tiring, but on the other hand, I'm blessed to have a full time job when so many others don't have one.

Sounds like you have kinda answered your own question then...times are tough right now, stick it out for a little while and see what happens! Cruise the business and pro sections over on POTN and see that even pro photographers are having a tough time booking clients or finding ones that are willing to pay enough to make a living off of it. 6-12 months from now everything could do a 360. Ive been out of a job for almost a year now but still religiously spend 3-4+ hours a day job searching but its getting very discouraging when potential employers wont even look at your resume because they are so swamped with applications because of the huge swarm of the unemployed.

Ive pushed REALLY hard in the last 6 months or so to make this a full time gig but there is just too many "pros" and not enough work to make a real living off of it...i thought for sure it would have been a goldmine business out here but so many are out of work right now, it seems like anyone with a camera is willing to attempt(and i say that very loosely and with a bit of sarcasm) going full time pro. It seems the ones making it are the ones that already had their clients established years ago and made a big name for themselves before things went to hell or ones that are working for an established, larger company.

Hang in there! ;)