PDA

View Full Version : Texas Mile

redcj7
October 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
The Ford GT Forum had the track reserved today and we could do as many runs as you wanted.

The temperature, however, was close to 100 and really slowed the speeds down.

The fastest I saw was a twin turbo at 215. My best was 169 which was well under what I hoped for. My best run of the day was right after lunch when the temp gauge was only at 160 when I left. My speedometer was close to 180 and I saw the mile sign and let off the gas. I still had 20-30 yards to go and screwed up my time. I never could get the car that cool again and all the rest of my speeds were low 160's.

The regular Texas Mile starts tomorrow and the semi's were already rolling in and unloading 1000 hp Turbo Porsches and Lambo's with parachutes on them. Very cool stuff.

scottycards
October 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Nice. Great job on the 169- that's really getting after it. You ran fast, had fun, and didn't crash. Mission accomplished!

RockyRed
October 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Good work there redcj.......enjoy the speed !!!!

Be careful with that Ford.................:)

Scott91MJ
October 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
You have fun while your down there! Good job on the 169

scottycards
October 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Feel like you're ready to run some of those 160+ speeds in TX come April?

There are more than a few curves that are really fun at 160 or so.......like the three hills with blind crests at about Mile 28 Southbound, and coming back, even more fun.

redcj7
October 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I'm kinda torn on BBORR. It turns out it is the same week as the UTV Rally in Moab.

It's hell to have so many hobbies.

scottycards
October 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Let's see.....UTV's..........or a buck sixty.

Man, not much of a decision for me, but I understand.

Speaking of 160- heading to St. George tomorrow early to pick up some car parts. I'll try to snap a photo of the speedo in that range if possible.

Wanna follow along? Back Sunday. A quick 1500 miles.

Scott91MJ
October 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM
where's a good spot to hit that speed (safely) in that trip scotty?

scottycards
October 17th, 2009, 05:00 AM
where's a good spot to hit that speed (safely) in that trip scotty?

Not that I'd ever really do it, ;), but I-70 between Green River and Salida- the "110 miles until next gas station" stretch has a couple of pretty open spots where you can see for a long way.

Getting ready to head out in the next hour or so. Valentine is on, scanner installed, iPod plugged in.

Today should be a good day. Gonna burn two full tanks of gas on the open highway. Yeah, it'll be a good day. Just cruising solo across the Utah desert.

Hippie
October 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Ya bastid Scotty :flipoff2: I get the joy of hanging drywall on the ceiling of the atrium :silly:

redcj7
October 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
The day after we ran, the temperatures dropped and the speeds went up.

A twin turbo Gallardo hit 238 with a missed 2-3 shift, and a twin turbo GT hit 226.