PDA

View Full Version : Wacom type tablets

ColoradoSkier
October 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
So I won a $100 Best Buy goftcard and am debating the purchase of a Wacom type tablet. Does anyone use something like this to help in editing photos? If so, what do you have and why do you like it?

Jeffro600
October 15th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Ive been curious about these too...a lot of high end pro's swear by them but from what ive gathered, their an acquired taste.

Are you just the lucky one lately?? Where'd you win a BB card?? :P

satan
October 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I've got a smaller Wacom - LOVE it. the dynamic controls that are available on a stylus are much nicer than the mouse "drag and do" technology. E.G.: You can use stylus pressure to control opacity, very similar to air brush -- and a lot of other controls of that sort. I particularly dig the fact that can flip the stylus over and use the other end for a different function (most often set to "erase" :P )

I feel a tablet gives me significantly beter control over everything... My decision to buy was simple: Try hand-writing my name with a mouse = FAIL Now hand-write with a pencil.

ColoradoSkier
October 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Ive been curious about these too...a lot of high end pro's swear by them but from what ive gathered, their an acquired taste.

Are you just the lucky one lately?? Where'd you win a BB card?? :P

I was at a conference this week. Yesterday was my birthday, and I won a 16GB iPod Nano, $20 at iTunes, and $100 at BestBuy. Best birthday ever (not to mention the great parties and entertainment at this conference).

ColoradoSkier
October 15th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I've got a smaller Wacom - LOVE it. the dynamic controls that are available on a stylus are much nicer than the mouse "drag and do" technology. E.G.: You can use stylus pressure to control opacity, very similar to air brush -- and a lot of other controls of that sort. I particularly dig the fact that can flip the stylus over and use the other end for a different function (most often set to "erase" :P )

I feel a tablet gives me significantly beter control over everything... My decision to buy was simple: Try hand-writing my name with a mouse = FAIL Now hand-write with a pencil.

They currently have the Wacom Bamboo, which is smaller, lesser features, and cheaper, and then the Intuos line. Which do you have?

satan
October 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Oh man -- looking at their site -- mine's been discontinued for some time -- IIRC it's in the early Intuos line (2 or 3) & Slightly larger than the current "Bamboo" model (mine is 7x5 or 8x6 about) with 2048 levels for pressure on the stylus -- the Bamboo has 1024 (looks like the Bamboo pen has only 512)... 1024 should be more than exciting in most cases, I can't imagine that I use the resolution that I have. I think the Bamboo has better LPI resolution -

(this one http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos2-Tablet-Platinum-XD68USBPLAT/dp/B00009WO1F - older, but nice)

I've got nothing for "touch" or "gesture"... just the stylus..

Pricing is sure a lot lower than it used to be - and I like these new navigation tricks.

I'm not seeing any buttons on the stylus - i've got 3 on mine -- I suppose the functions are now on the mat.

I like the look and features of these new ones... It'd be fun to 'test-drive' one to feel some of the chnages (I read in one of the descriptions about a textured drawing surface - that would seem to be a plus as mine is 'slick' and it just didn't 'feel right' for a few uses.. was kinda like writing ball-point on glass"

Not sure if this is relevant, but my use is Photoshop on a multi processor Win2K platform - Photoshop has GREAT support for the tablet

ColoradoSkier
October 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I wonder if there is any use for these in Lightroom? I would think so in Develop mode...

Jeffro600
October 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I wonder if there is any use for these in Lightroom? I would think so in Develop mode...

With LR2, sure! There would be lots of functionality with the selective edit tools. But for the most part, the extend of my LR use is just cropping\adjusting the sliders...but generally when i go much past that editing wise, i open photoshop because it allows much more capability.

Ive been half tempted to pick up the Wacom Bamboo...its like 60 bucks from best buy and gets good reviews from people over on POTN. Most of them say, for an entry level tablet, its the best bang for your buck. Worst case, could always take it back if i didnt like it...

ColoradoSkier
October 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Indeed. Or it might go back to trade up for the Intuos... :)

Jeffro600
October 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Well you intrigued me enough to go buy one...i got the Bamboo CTL460...for some reason it doesnt show up on BB's website but they had a truck load of them at the store. I think its their newer line to replace the older ones because i dont see the it on BB's website, they only show the MTE450(which i think is the older ones)...where as on Wacoms page, they show the CTL460(the newer ones...again, i think?) and not the MTE450...they were both the same price but seem to function the same...whatever...

Anywho, first impressions...awkward. Its very precise and i can see where it would come in handy for pixel level photo editing but its like trying to relearn how to do simple tasks like scrolling, zooming, etc. The pressure sensitive system is OK...its not nearly as precise as i thought it would be but it works pretty good for dodging\burning, etc. The pen feel is decent...best way i can describe it is writing on a glass pane with a sharpie. Its smooth but has just a tiny bit of tackiness(i guess that would be best to describe it??) to keep it from sliding all over like crazy. Its definitely different. Im not overly impressed with this one though and think im going to take it back and get the MTE450...this one has ZERO buttons on it and even a couple of them would be nice to have for assigning commonly used tasks like undo, zooming, etc. It does have a couple buttons on the pen but their limited in what they can do. Its odd because it does not work like a touch pad normally would...i.e. you put your finger on it and it tracks...this, wherever you put your pen on the pad, is where the pointer jumps to on the screen...so if you have your cursor in the upper right hand corner but place the pen on the lower left hand, it jumps to the lower left hand...kinda weird, takes a little practice i guess...

Its OK...not sure if its a MUST have for serious editing but i could see where it could come in handy. Like i said, i think im gonna swap it out for the other one and see if theres any difference in function...having a couple of buttons on it might make all the difference...

Jeffro600
October 15th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Found the pressure sensitivity settings...if you turn the setting more towards firm pressure required, it seems to have a good bit more range and feels a little more like using a real pen.

I dunno...maybe its already starting to grow on me...:P

ColoradoSkier
October 16th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Might pick one up tonight or tomorrow. Glad you test drove it for me. :)

Jeffro600
October 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Chester, if you havent bought one yet, get the MTE450!! I took mine back this morning and exchanged it and this one is MUCH MUCH better in every way!

The pad on this one is a million times more sensitive to pressure than the other one was...this i can see as a very useful feature! It also has 4 customizable buttons and a small "track ring" that add worlds of functionality to it!

Overall, playing with this one for just a few mins, im MUCH more impressed! I think ill keep it!

Jeffro600
October 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Totally diggin this thing now!! How the hell did i ever live without it?!?!

If you do alot of selective editing(burn\dodge, cloning, etc) this thing is a godsend!! I shot a wedding this afternoon and its just letting me whip through photos like nothin! I will never edit with a mouse again! I might just take it back and get the bigger one!!

ColoradoSkier
October 19th, 2009, 08:00 AM
When I went to Best Buy, they had the Bamboo Pen, the Bamboo Touch, and the Bamboo Craft ( http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_craft.php ). I brought the Craft home since it responded to pen and touch, and had buttons on the pad. Haven't hooked it up yet, but might today or tomorrow after I get caught up from being at a conference last week. Retails for $129. So about $40 out the door with my gift card.

Jeffro600
October 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
When I went to Best Buy, they had the Bamboo Pen, the Bamboo Touch, and the Bamboo Craft ( http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_craft.php ). I brought the Craft home since it responded to pen and touch, and had buttons on the pad. Haven't hooked it up yet, but might today or tomorrow after I get caught up from being at a conference last week. Retails for $129. So about $40 out the door with my gift card.

The Bamboo pen(CTL460) was the first one i tried. The Touch was basically no pen, just fingers...

Please let us know how the Craft works out for ya!

One thing im finding is that the pressure sensitivity levels work differently from program to program...Photoshop seems to have the greatest range, followed closely by LR2...i tried it in Aperture and was less than impressed though...it was almost completely nonexistant in Canons RAW conversion software... My only complaint so far about mine is that i wish it were bigger. The medium sized one would be probably about perfect but its like 200ish dollars more...:eek:

ColoradoSkier
October 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
So swamped with work, not sure when I will be able to play with it, much less get it installed. And on top of that my new camera is supposed to be arriving today (the Ricoh I won in the photo contest).

OFRD_GRL
October 19th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I have a HUGE wacom and LOVE LOVE LOVE it..

ColoradoSkier
November 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Finally installed it. Wow, it took over the whole desktop. Going to have to fiddle with settings and make it app specific. It split my two monitor setup over the surface too, so it was like a drunken mouse operation...

ColoradoSkier
November 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM
40+ Waco Tutorials

http://designm.ag/tutorials/wacom-tutorials/

Jeffro600
November 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I dont even use a mouse anymore...i use the tablet for pretty much everything including web surfing!

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Might immerse myself today or tomorrow with it.

satan
November 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
You WILL love it...

:lolly:

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I honestly think I will love it more if I could limit it's scope to a specific program. With 2 monitors, it is way to sensitive because it thinks it has to span both of them.

Doesn't look like this model supports limiting monitors or apps. I think it is going back. Now do I want to spend $70 more on an Intuos 4 or do I want to say screw it?

Jeffro600
November 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Maybe keep using a mouse for all other tasks other than editing...a mouse wont touch this thing for the precision, feel and speed that i can now edit with. I had to edit some photos on my laptop using a regular mouse last weekend...dont see how i ever went without a tablet now??

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Took the Bamboo back and got the Intuos 4. Going to eat and watch some hockey, then I might hook it up and see if this is less aggravating, or if I am going to be looking for something completely different at best buy (I could have bought a Wii by now).

Jeffro600
November 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
From what im finding on user reviews of all things tablet, their a love it or hate it sort of thing.

I would have loved to have gotten the Intuos 4 medium, but thats the price of more studio lights(349)!

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Really think this will do what I want, about to install the software and see.

Jeffro600
November 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You couldnt tune\tweak the bamboo for each particular program? I thought you could...?

Hmm, either way, ive found myself not using the buttons nearly as much as i thought i would. I set them up for VERY basic functions...mostly undo, redo and for zooming.

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I couldn't get it to not want to jump across both monitors (with the result being that the sensitivity was insane). I think this one can be locked down to one app or monitor.

Yep - just locked it to one monitor. This is going to be awesome I think. Came with a mouse too, but don't see the need for it. BTW - this is the PTK440. It feels plenty big, but if I ever needed to, the Medium would probably be more than enough. Going to try some photo edits now.

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 08:34 PM
OK, now I am a believer, this thing is awesome.

Jeffro600
November 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
OK, now I am a believer, this thing is awesome.

There was a Intuos 4 Medium on CL a couple days ago for 175 brand new in the box...i should have went and bought it!

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM
There was a Intuos 4 Medium on CL a couple days ago for 175 brand new in the box...i should have went and bought it!

Oh heck yes you should have...

Jeffro600
November 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
They show up over on POTN's classifieds section every now and then too for around the same price...ill keep my eyes peeled. I like the Bamboo that i have, just wish it was a little larger.

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Importing my LR library from my desktop to my laptop. ~14.5k pics. This might take a while. But since I installed the tablet on here, and it is my primary machine, seems to make sense. Going to go watch the hockey game and then maybe do some editing when this is done (not sure how long this import will take).

Jeffro600
November 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Importing my LR library from my desktop to my laptop. ~14.5k pics. This might take a while. But since I installed the tablet on here, and it is my primary machine, seems to make sense. Going to go watch the hockey game and then maybe do some editing when this is done (not sure how long this import will take).

lol, plan on not using it for a day or so! :flipoff2: Well, depending on the size of your files and how much HP you have under your computer hoods...i recently transferred all my desktop photos to my laptop...19ish thousand pictures, all at 10+ MB's(about 200GB's worth of photos) and it took a good day, day and a half to get them from one computer to the other.

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Will be all night at least, only at 3k so far.

Tiffany
November 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
What is the easiest way to transfer? I currently have my LR catalog on my external...

ColoradoSkier
November 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Mine is on my external drive on my desktop. I am importing the catalog from there to the HDD in the laptop, bring the files with it. Probably didn't have to honestly, but it makes sense to me at the moment. As much as I travel with this laptop though, I will be sure to back up to something fairly regularly. I need to learn more about what backing up means in LR.

Jeffro600
November 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM
What is the easiest way to transfer? I currently have my LR catalog on my external...

Try this Tiffany...

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2008/friday-video-moving-between-laptop-and-desktop/

I use this method and while its slowwwww, it works good.

ColoradoSkier
November 7th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Doh - woke up this morning to see not enough space on lappy hdd. Oh well. Just need to move the intuos.

Jeffro600
November 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM

*SIGH*

Stupid PC's...my netbook completely died last night without warning or reason...BB gave me a brand new one(glad i bought the extended warranty!!) but now im re-importing all my LR crap... :rant:

ColoradoSkier
November 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I am trying to think through how I can keep the files where they are and still import the catalog to my laptop. Hopefully LR3 isn't a pain about networked volumes. Ideally I want to get a 1TB NAS device for the house...

Jeffro600
November 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I am trying to think through how I can keep the files where they are and still import the catalog to my laptop. Hopefully LR3 isn't a pain about networked volumes. Ideally I want to get a 1TB NAS device for the house...

Im still waiting for them to jam a terabyte drive into one of those cute, palm sized travel HD's! Getting to the point that ill need one here soon! Especially if i drop the ball on that 5DMKII... :eek:

ColoradoSkier
November 9th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Natalie's first work of art on the wacom...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs097.snc3/16434_1281940691241_1311785910_809794_3056232_n.jpg

ColoradoSkier
November 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Not sure how this one compares, but $60 is pretty cheap...

http://www.buy.com/prod/penpower-tooya-pro-usb-graphics-tablet-swtab0001-windows-mac-penpower/q/loc/101/205857228.html

Jeffro600
December 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Took the Bamboo back and got the Intuos 4.

Picked up a slightly used medium sized I4 off of CL a few mins ago for 160...cant wait wait to try it! :D

ColoradoSkier
December 11th, 2009, 08:05 AM
The small one takes plenty of space, the medium must be a monster.

Jeffro600
December 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM
The small one takes plenty of space, the medium must be a monster.

It is a bit on the "large" side of things...luckily my desk is HUGE! :D

I think ill keep the other one to throw in my camera\computer bag if im ever doing any mild editing while on a shoot or something.

ColoradoSkier
September 30th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Curious if anyone who has an Intuos 4 has configured it for Lightroom 3. The documentation seems sparse and I want to enable the speed keys and such.

Jeffro600
September 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I still prefer the keyboard for shortcuts because thats what im used to and have always used. I never did configure all the buttons on it but it was easy to do through the software...mac though.

ColoradoSkier
September 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM
It isn't being very intuitive to me at all. Guess I am getting old...