PDA

View Full Version : Lightscribe - Gimmicky or worth it?

ColoradoSkier
October 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Any of you delivering images on CDs or DVDs engraved via Lightscribe? Delivering my first one this way today, curious to see how it is received.

thenimirra
October 9th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I haven't used Lightscribe, but my new HP Photosmart Printer prints photos directly on to the disk and I LOVE it! No more sticky adhesives!

ColoradoSkier
October 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
My HP lappy came with a Lightscribe drive, just used for the first time the other day - came out pretty good. Delivering that disc tomorrow, hoping the reaction is good. I thought it was cool, so I guess that can be good enough. :)

ArloGuthroJeep
October 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Have a picture of what it looks like? The last time I saw one it was really faint and took something like 45 minutes to burn the image. How quickly did your burner, burn it?

Jeffro600
October 9th, 2009, 09:58 PM
It works good if you fiddle around with it enough and get the settings dialed in. I like it better just for text than actual graphics...pictures seem to be faint and take FOREVER to burn. Quality is just OK...pictures usually look like they came off a nice dot matrix printer or similar to newspaper print.

FWIW, i just use glossy stick on CD shaped labels that i print in my Canon printer. That way, i dont have to buy the proprietary(and usually expensive) lightscribe discs and can have full color images that look like actual photos.

If you have the time to dial it in and dont mind buying lightscribe specific DVD's, it works fine...otherwise, i vote yet another HP Gimmick.

OrangeCrush
October 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I think it looks not so good the stick on labels look alot more professional

Clint
October 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM
It works good if you fiddle around with it enough and get the settings dialed in. I like it better just for text than actual graphics...pictures seem to be faint and take FOREVER to burn. Quality is just OK...pictures usually look like they came off a nice dot matrix printer or similar to newspaper print.

FWIW, i just use glossy stick on CD shaped labels that i print in my Canon printer. That way, i dont have to buy the proprietary(and usually expensive) lightscribe discs and can have full color images that look like actual photos.

If you have the time to dial it in and dont mind buying lightscribe specific DVD's, it works fine...otherwise, i vote yet another HP Gimmick.

not HP specific. lots of machines have it now.

Jeffro600
October 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
not HP specific. lots of machines have it now.

Shows ya how much i care about or use PC's... :flipoff2:

ColoradoSkier
October 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Took about 20 minutes. It's kind of faint, but I think it looks good. Way better than a sharpie or label.

Hayes
October 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I never could get it to work...

rmjeep
October 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I haven't used Lightscribe, but my new HP Photosmart Printer prints photos directly on to the disk and I LOVE it! No more sticky adhesives!

I too have a printer that prints directly on cd media, lightscribe is good in a pinch - assuming I have the media - so I don't have to use a sharpy