PDA

View Full Version : Caliber Q's

Hippie
October 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Sooo some of you may remember me posting about seeing bear sign on my driveway in April/May and then about seeing a momma and 2 cubs a few months back, anyway, I found bear scat way to close to the house for my comfort with the end of the season and hibernation coming and there search for food. We have no trash or anything to invite them in but you never know.

To my question - What would be a good caliber pistol for the wife that she could get used to and still be effective against a full grown black bear? I have my thoughts but want some others input. RK(wife) has shot many of my guns but the 357 she has yet to shoot - I think she is afraid of it. At this point I am worried about a bear coming into the house and her having to defend herself.

I have some real firepower placed in easy access in the house but you never know and I want something she can carry on the property when she is out walking .

suggestions ?

TIA :beer:

PhantomD AKA Zach
October 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
I would think a 12 gauge slug would be good

OrangeCrush
October 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Reread the requirements

Go get a S&W .500 if you are worried about a full grown bear

2600 ft lb muzzle vs 900 ft lbs on a 44 magnum

Jeffro600
October 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Jeff,
You guys can meet me at the firing line sometime and she can try out my Kimber custom carry II .45 acp 1911 fires nicely

For bear?? 45 ACP is just going to piss it off... :tisk:

Blackbears more often than not are shy by nature...so the risk is low you'd ever have a threatening encounter with one unless you were messing with one of its cubs or deliberately trying to piss it off. BUT...You want bone crushing power...hardcast, flatnose bullets with lots of penetration, bone smashing designs and large, flat metplats that create huge, gaping wound channels. 357 with HEAVY loads would be ok in a pinch, but personally, id still want bigger if it has the potential to be a life threatening situation. Check out BuffaloBore ammo...they have some really high powered stuff in a variety of calibers. 44 Magnum would be ideal...and a much better choice IMO.

Rugers Alaskan model revolvers would be ideal for this sort of thing...their small, easy to carry and pack a huge punch!

FWIW, this is what i carry in "Dangerous Game" areas...it gets fed a 300 grain, flat nose, hardcast bullet(that i cast myself) charged by a HOT load of Alliant 2400...if the bullet doesnt do the job, the muzzle blast should, lol! It means business!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s296/SharpsShooter69/629-6Mountain.jpg
Smith and Wesson 629 "Mountain Gun" 44 Magnum

PhantomD AKA Zach
October 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Sorry, I posted that from my iPhone... that little dinky screen can be a bear to read sometimes!

Buy what she can shoot reliably! and accurately

-Zach

Loki
October 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Any handgun that would be an acceptable choice in a bear defense situation is going to bring with it a large amount of recoil. If she's recoil shy, maybe the best choice isnt a handgun, but maybe bear spray would suit her better?

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_dff9ff4c-df33-5ed0-bb8e-62de045ae20e.html

Hippie
October 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Loki - good idea I had not thought about that :thumbsup:

potter
October 4th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'd be afraid of the bear spray if it's already in the house. You don't want to scare it while it's trapped in a confined area. You want it dead.

Loki
October 4th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I'd be afraid of the bear spray if it's already in the house. You don't want to scare it while it's trapped in a confined area. You want it dead.

Genius! :thumbsup:

Wounding it with underpowered firearm is much better in the house. :rolleyes:

If its in the house and she's alone or with the kids, just get out of the house.

noahfecks
October 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
x2 on the bear spray. Your wife will be confident in its use and more likely to use it early on in the confrontation. The bear is looking for an easy meal, I doubt that the being shot with the spray will make the meal worth the effort. Have you tried spraying the potential food scources arround the house (trash) with amonia to discourage the bear from coming arround in the first place?

Yucca-Man
October 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Trash, BBQ grill, bird feeders - all are potential food sources for a critter that's just looking for calories. I doubt the bear would be 'trapped' in the house as they tend to have a good sense of direction. However, if it's wounded (especially if wounded in the house) then it might be a different story with a much more dangerous outcome.

She'd be much safer with a barricaded door and noise - scare the bear away and resort to a gun as an absolute last line of defense if she can't evacuate.

Whitey
October 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
44 magnum is plenty to take out a black bear. Look at the Desert Eagle in .44 mag, it can be ported to reduce recoil as easily as any revolver. My S&W Trail Boss, ported, 3" BBL, SS, .44mag is a pleasure to shoot. .41 mag is real close ballistic wise, good choice as well.

Not sure how your wife would do with a .44 mag, but I can safely say you'd love the Trail Boss. :D

If nothing else, get a 12ga with slugs. Works in Alaska on bigger bears. :thumbsup:

rondog
October 5th, 2009, 12:23 AM
12 ga. shotgun with good, high-powered slugs is the best, and easiest for a woman to handle too. You don't want to fawk around with bears, as far as "is this enough gun?" Good slugs will knock it on it's ass. You want dead bear, not "wounded and mad as hell, but gonna die soon" bear, that will cause havoc before it drops.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/sabotslug01.jpg

potter
October 5th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Genius! :thumbsup:

Wounding it with underpowered firearm is much better in the house. :rolleyes:

Uhm, Isn't the point of this thread to find out which firearm wouldn't be underpowered?

To my question - What would be a good caliber pistol for the wife that she could get used to and still be effective against a full grown black bear?

:rolleyes: :shrug:

Hippie
October 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Potter - part of the question, yes.

I am/was asking more for recomendations that my wife can handle and would not be afraid to use. I like Loki's suggestion of bear spray for her, she can and will use the stuff.

I know her limitations and figured the recomendations given for hand cannons would be the common responses, these are not an option for her do to several reasons. I also got what I hoped for in the spray - something I had not thought of that she will use if she does not have access to the weapons placed stratigically around the house or if she is out hiking by herself .

Rock Kitty
October 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Always interesting to read what I "can" and "cannot" handle ;). Don't want to be close enough for spray - me want FIRE POWER! Or, get in the car and get the hell out! The cats can manage for themselves!

Yucca-Man
October 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
:popcorn:

Steve
October 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Always interesting to read what I "can" and "cannot" handle ;). Don't want to be close enough for spray...

:laughing:

Seriously, a good can of bear spray will spray accurately out to 20' or farther. It's not for close combat use. ;)

noahfecks
October 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
The most important part of the OP's question was what will my wife pick up and use with confidence. I think he found his "caliber" in a can of bear spray.

unclebill
October 13th, 2009, 08:01 AM
The most important part of the OP's question was what will my wife pick up and use with confidence. I think he found his "caliber" in a can of bear spray.

yes sir.
i have bears in my yard every fall.
the .454casull is what i have if need be.
but i am also a man that shoots a lot of bigbore revolvers.
if i were you i would teach my wife how to use a shotgun.

Big Kev
October 18th, 2009, 05:39 AM
If she is out hiking maybe a bear bell too. They will let the bears know she is in the area so it is not a surprise for them.

Grant H.
October 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Umm guys...

A 12 gauge slug is going to piss the bear off unless you tag it in the eye.

The problem that most guns face in the situation of a bear is penetration. A bear, that has been feeding all summer long, packing on the weight for hibernation, will have a whole metric shyte ton of fat on it. A slug does a lot of "surface" damage but does not penetrate as deep as it would need to to get vitals on a bear.

For a more or less "polite" weapon (ie your wife can handle it with out pain and damage to the wrist) is a good 10mm (Glock 20 with recoil buffer; Tangfolio EAA Witness). They have less recoil with ~similar power to a .44 mag. Load that up with FMJ ammo in the 230 gr range and you have a decent gun for bears.

However, in the situation of my wife with a bear, I would prefer she has a can of bear spray that she will use early on and prevent the need of a more powerful solution. Steve is right, a good can of bear spray is usable out to 20 feet or so.

Jeffro600
October 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Umm guys...

The problem that most guns face in the situation of a bear is penetration. A bear, that has been feeding all summer long, packing on the weight for hibernation, will have a whole metric shyte ton of fat on it. A slug does a lot of "surface" damage but does not penetrate as deep as it would need to to get vitals on a bear.

lolz

While there are different degrees of "shotgun rounds", a 12 gauge slug gun is the number one killer of Browns according to the Alaskan Science Center and numerous hunting outfits. And a brown bear is considerably tougher than any measly black bear you will find in CO. Take that for what its worth...:rolleyes:

Steve
October 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM
lolz

While there are different degrees of "shotgun rounds", a 12 gauge slug gun is the number one killer of Browns according to the Alaskan Science Center and numerous hunting outfits. And a brown bear is considerably tougher than any measly black bear you will find in CO. Take that for what its worth...:rolleyes:

lolz

We have two offices in AK with personnel that spend extended time in the field. When we asked a bear hunting expert for advice on what firearm we should purchase, train personnel on, and mandate they take into the field for bear protection, they very soundly recommended against a shotgun slug. I don't remember the caliber of rifle, but it's big. Take that for what it's worth...:rolleyes:

Jeffro600
October 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM
lolz

We have two offices in AK with personnel that spend extended time in the field. When we asked a bear hunting expert for advice on what firearm we should purchase, train personnel on, and mandate they take into the field for bear protection, they very soundly recommended against a shotgun slug. I don't remember the caliber of rifle, but it's big. Take that for what it's worth...:rolleyes:

You must be a master of any and all trades or hobbies with your "day job"...

And apparently they are in the "bigger is better" crowd....and i concur with them on that...and the reason why they highly recommend against it is because its the BARE MINIMUM that should even be considered for browns but i guarantee you their higher up on the recommended list than a 10MM. But since were talking black bear here which are considerably smaller, easier to kill and nowhere near as mean, its a moot point either way. I was only using it for comparisons sake with the other poster.

Steve
October 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
You must be a master of any and all trades or hobbies with your "day job"...

You have no idea. I don't get to do any "real" technical work any more. Projects and personnel in many states, including AK, and soon to be in Western Europe and Russia down the road, means I get to figure out the weird stuff and keep winning work to keep everybody busy and the owners happy.

Was shooting this weekend with a buddy who has a 10 mm. Very nice gun. Very hard to find ammo for it at any price according to him.

unclebill
October 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Umm guys...

For a more or less "polite" weapon (ie your wife can handle it with out pain and damage to the wrist) is a good 10mm (Glock 20 with recoil buffer; Tangfolio EAA Witness). They have less recoil with ~similar power to a .44 mag. Load that up with FMJ ammo in the 230 gr range and you have a decent gun for bears.

However, in the situation of my wife with a bear, I would prefer she has a can of bear spray that she will use early on and prevent the need of a more powerful solution. Steve is right, a good can of bear spray is usable out to 20 feet or so.
umm grant
according to the federal govt. you are wrong
quote from this site;http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/forest_facts/safety/bearfacts.htm

A .300-Magnum rifle or a 12-gauge shotgun with rifled slugs are appropriate weapons if you have to shoot a bear. Heavy handguns such as a .44-Magnum may be inadequate in emergency situations, especially in untrained hands.

Grant H.
October 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM
umm grant
according to the federal govt. you are wrong
quote from this site;http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/forest_facts/safety/bearfacts.htm

A .300-Magnum rifle or a 12-gauge shotgun with rifled slugs are appropriate weapons if you have to shoot a bear. Heavy handguns such as a .44-Magnum may be inadequate in emergency situations, especially in untrained hands.

My bad...

Praise the Obamanation that the Federal Government told us what to use... :rolleyes:

Really???? C'mon man... At least try.

A .30 cal magnum would do the trick, but a shotgun slug expands too much.

Mudbug63
October 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM
20mm recoilless rifle? :flipoff2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx7AfAyEies

[/thread]

Loki
October 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
[reopen thread]

MK153 SMAW...

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/smaw-3.jpg

[re-/thread] :flipoff2:

unclebill
October 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM
My bad...

Praise the Obamanation that the Federal Government told us what to use... :rolleyes:

Really???? C'mon man... At least try.

A .30 cal magnum would do the trick, but a shotgun slug expands too much.

so it's the presidents fault that YOU think a shotgun wont do the trick?

Hippie
October 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM
This thread is starting to get funny
[reopen thread]

MK153 SMAW...

http://world.guns.ru/grenade/smaw-3.jpg

[re-/thread] :flipoff2:

Loki - Where can I get one of those :drool:

Loki
October 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
This thread is starting to get funny

Loki - Where can I get one of those :drool:

Here (http://www.marines.com/) :D

BumperMan
October 21st, 2009, 11:57 PM
Has anyone here besides me actually killed a brown bear?

12Ga slugs actually penetrate like crazy. see box o truth.

The fat on a bear is the least of your worries. The real problem is their armor plated heads, and the thick armor like shoulder. However, if you can break that bone, you have broken the bear down, and severely limited his ability to run. A shotgun slug works well. A pistol round with a good penetrator i.e. not a self defense round will work Okay.

Jeffro600
October 22nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
12Ga slugs actually penetrate like crazy.

Glad im not the only one that thinks so! :rolleyes:

BumperMan
October 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Now that I have tim to type. Some of the guides I knew up there who carried for bear defense packed shotguns loaded up like this. Buck shot - slug - slug - Buck shot - slug

1 to the face to blind them and mess up their ability to smell, slug to the shoulder, slug to the shoulder (other one if possible) buck to the face slug to the shoulder. The goal is to 1. break them down so they can not get you, and 2 find a major organ to kill them.

Everyone should go check out the skeleton of a bear to see just how armor plated they really are.

ETA: If you are going pack a handgun for bears, the round needs to be designed for penetration, not knockdown power. You want to get through those bones and into the vitals. I carried a 357 up there with hot loaded steel jacketed bullets. I never had to use them, but I was confident that I could get through the shoulder and into the vitals.

Loki
October 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
.357mag on Brown bears? :eek:

I don't care what its loaded with... No Thanks.

And 5 shots from a shotgun on a charging bear, with predicted placement like that, would require nerves of steel and a great deal of training in high pressure situations.

That being said, I wouldn't feel under gunned with my 12g slugger in bear country.

BumperMan
October 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
.357mag on Brown bears? :eek:

I don't care what its loaded with... No Thanks.

And 5 shots from a shotgun on a charging bear, with predicted placement like that, would require nerves of steel and a great deal of training in high pressure situations.

That being said, I wouldn't feel under gunned with my 12g slugger in bear country.

You obviously missed my point about penetration. Name me a handgun except the 44 mag that will penetrate better than an steel jacketed 357.

BumperMan
October 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
I killed a charging black bear sow with my .270 with 2 shots. 1 to kill, and one for good measure. I killed my brown bear (not charging) with 1 shot from teh 270.

Loki
October 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Depending on the terrain, but 2-3 shots at a charging bear is about all your going to get off, unless they are charging from a great distance away. I want the most power I can shoot accurately, in that situation.

I think Browns are way to big for the .357 no matter what they are loaded with. These are huge dangerous animals with heavy duty bone structure and I'd rather not trust my life or others to what a, in this situation, is a marginal cartridge. Can it work sure, will it work? not a chance Im going to take.

I know there is a great deal of Muchismo on this board about using a .270 for hunting. To me its an unethical choice for hunting Elk, Browns, or Moose. Again can it work? Yes. But I believe I owe it to the animal, to make the best possible shot with an gun of adequate power to make a clean quick kill.

Just my Opinion's. :beer:

BumperMan
October 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
So, answer my question about what handgun round would work better than a 357 for bear defense.

Muchismo about hunting with a .270. that is interesting. Do you buy your ammo off the shelf, or reload? What do you shoot? Gun, bullet weight, bullet design? I always love it when people believe that you have to have XXXY cal. to hunt, then they go buy the basic off the shelf rounds with basic hunting bullets.

I would much rather shoot a big animal with a .270 that i know I can accuratly shoot time and again than some big bore magnum that is going to pound me and make me start to have terrible accuracy due to recoil.

Steve
October 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Has anyone here besides me actually killed a brown bear?

Probably not. I have no desire to hunt bear of any kind, although I have come face to face with one several feet away while elk hunting. I'm not sure who was more scared. I know had I wanted to, I might have had time to get off one shot before it was on me. Fortunately it ran the other direction. There's a huge difference between hunting a bear and carrying for self protection from a bear.

I know there is a great deal of Muchismo on this board about using a .270 for hunting. To me its an unethical choice for hunting Elk...

:confused:

I've killed a number of elk with my .270, all with one shot. It's not always about the caliber of the rifle; it's at least as much about the judgement and skill of the hunter. ;)

Loki
October 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
For protection in Brown bear territory. Minimum handgun I would rely on is a 44mag. I also could opt for the .480 Ruger, anything that size or bigger is acceptable to me. I'd go with the 44mag its got a shorter barrel and one more round, especially if I'm walking thru close confine like alders.

For Elk hunting I have a Ruger M77 in .300 Win Mag, its sighted in with 180gr Winchester Accubond cartridges. so yea its off the shelf ammo. Designed for large game, and I have no doubts that with proper shot placement it will do the job.

For Hunting Browns though, I'd prefer my Guide Gun, in .450 Marlin. I load it with Hornady 350gr flat points. I have heard good things about the 325gr flex tips so picked up a few boxes of those, haven't tried them yet though. Can you hunt Browns with other calibers? Sure you can this is just my choice.

I'm not saying that you need a cannon to shoot a Squirrel. Its all what you're comfortable with, and accurate with because of that comfort level.

Everybody has their opinons on the right caliber for this species of game. These are mine.

BumperMan
October 22nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Well your pics for Bear defense are great choices. My problem with them is i would have had a gun just for bear defense, and that is just not practical when I already had a 357 that could be loaded to take fine care of a bear.

I love to use phone books to test the penetration of bullets. You would be amazed with what my 357 would do with the loads I have for it.

I have to be honest, I was really hoping you would say what a bunch of the Alaskans that I talked to said. I carry a .45. Those guys were my favorite to take to the range with a box full of anchorage phone books and embarrass.

For my .270 I shoot hand loaded 150 gr Bronze points. they are loaded up near the top of the scale. I find the 300 to have too much recoil for my taste. I used to own 2 300 wby mags. It is a great round, and the 180 is a good bullet to shoot out of it. However, I have no interest in getting thumped every time I pull the trigger, nor do I have any interest in putting a ton on cash into a gun to keep it from kicking me.

I lived in AK for 6 years, and hunted everything I could up there (except for rams. Damn knee surgery) to include brown bear, and bison. I never had a problem with bringing down any of them humanly. I study the animal I am going to hunt to include muscle structure, skeleton, and organ placement. I don't take wild shots, and I don't rush. People who do not know what they are doing can get away with more with a bigger cal. However, if they hunt enough, and don't get better, it will eventually catch up with them.

Steve
October 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
I used to own 2 300 wby mags. It is a great round, and the 180 is a good bullet to shoot out of it. However, I have no interest in getting thumped every time I pull the trigger, nor do I have any interest in putting a ton on cash into a gun to keep it from kicking me.

I hunt with a WBY .270 mag. It kicks. Big time. That makes accuracy important. I sighted in last Saturday. First shot at 200 yds was 1/2" off the bulls eye. I was done. Every elk I've shot with it took one shot. :)

Loki
October 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
I'd rather have the 357 than a 45. But I still think its underpowered for a pissed off Brown.

See, any excuse to get another weapon is good enough for me. :thumbsup: To the wife: "Yes there are Grizzly bears in Yellowstone, I could bring the 357 but its probably not enough gun, if we need it. A 44mag would be a much better choice, and if we encounter one, you mother wouldn't have to worry about running from it, where with the 357 she might." ;):D;)

I don't mind the recoil of the .300 win mag it is more than the 270 but its normal to me now, and I don't even think about it really.

Jeffro600
October 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Name me a handgun except the 44 mag that will penetrate better than an steel jacketed 357.

10MM, 41 Mag, 45 Colt(with hot loads), 454 Casull, 500 S&W...want me to keep goin? :flipoff2:

Yucca-Man
October 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Depending on the terrain, but 2-3 shots at a charging bear is about all your going to get off, unless they are charging from a great distance away. I want the most power I can shoot accurately, in that situation.Simple answer then:

http://dummidumbwit.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/ord_m2_mounted_lance_lg.jpg

:flipoff2: It's available with a wide variety of mounts, including the above vehicle-mount, man-portable tripod, taller anti-aircraft tripod/post, or even aircraft-mounted, both fixed or turret-mounted.

ETA: It's accurate enough that Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock was able to use one for a one-shot kill at nearly 2,500 yards...

Loki
October 22nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
That would cover it. :D

Whitey
October 25th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Gonna be heading to bear territory, (grizzly & black), in north central Idaho, (near Montana), next month & will take my SS 2" mag-na-ported S&W .44 mag. Gonna use my own handloads, 240 gr jacketed, a 'smidge' on the hot side.

I'm not hunting personally, my brother has a moose tag and a wolf tag he wants to fill & I'll tag along. He's using a 300 Win Mag, handloads with Nosler Partition, I don't recall the projectile weight, sorry.

Tossing around taking a .450 Marlin, lever action carbine, but haven't decided on that yet. Really looking forward to it, haven't been for a few years, even tough we used to do an annual hunt that way for years.

unclebill
October 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM
You obviously missed my point about penetration. Name me a handgun except the 44 mag that will penetrate better than an steel jacketed 357.

i've got a .454 casull and some jacketed 300 grain rounds.
oh yes.
they penetrate alright.

BumperMan
October 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I was refering to handguns that cost less than $4356 per shot to shoot. But you are correct, the 454, and 500 etc penetrate nicely.

unclebill
October 27th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I was refering to handguns that cost less than $4356 per shot to shoot. But you are correct, the 454, and 500 etc penetrate nicely.

haha
yep expensive if you dont reload.
i got mine down to about 37 cents a pop using hardcast 315 gr. lead

Whitey
October 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM
This says something about having a large caliber gun, depending on where you are of course.
Received this in an e-mail today from my brother, (he doesn't know this guy), got it from another friend.

Subject: This Is Why They Carry Guns In Alaska

This guy lives just outside of Soldotna.

Friends,

Have I got a story for you guys!

King season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I
thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 am this morning
(Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house, ON OUR ROAD while walking
my dogs (trying to get in shape for hunting season, ironically!) for the
record, this is in a residential area-not back in the woods, no
bow hunting, no stealth occurring . . .

I heard a twig snap, and looked back . . . full on charge-a huge brownie,
ears back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; no
woof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you
think or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in
about one-second! Totally surreal-I just started shooting in the general
direction, and praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?)
shot he dropped and*skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I was
shooting from - I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the
last shot, and his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my
first shot!

It was a prehistoric old boar-no teeth, no fat-weighed between 900-1000
lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear - its
paw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

Never-ever-thought "it" would happen to me! Itís always some other smuck, Right?*
Well, no bull- I am still high on adrenaline, with my gut in a Knot.
Feels like I did 10,000 crunches without stopping! Almost puked for
an hour after, had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers
conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out-cant even put that
feeling into words, by far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!

No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull (and
some "hot" 350 grain solids) just for the heck of it, and managed to
draw and snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! Total
Luck shot!

All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave the
wife and kids at home on this walk! Got a charter tomorrow, so gonna TRY
to get some sleep now!

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11952&d=1256789683
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11953&d=1256789683
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11954&d=1256789683
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11955&d=1256789683
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11956&d=1256789683

Chris Halvorson
October 29th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Growing up in Montana, we did a lot of camping and outdoors activities. Grizzlies were always on the mind. The one weapon of choice my father always took was his 12 G. shot gun loaded with 00 buck, 2 slugs, 00, slug as well. He had a flash light standing by too for nigh time animal activities.

My brother still lives there and carries a .454 when wheeling....that thing kicks like no other, but when confronted with a bear, you will not even notice the recoil.

Loki
October 29th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Not to continue the pissing match Budman, but would you feel confident in that brown bear encounter, that a .357 is going to be enough gun???

BumperMan
October 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Not to continue the pissing match Budman, but would you feel confident in that brown bear encounter, that a .357 is going to be enough gun???

6 year in the AK wilderness. I always felt confident in my 357, and my 270. Like I said before, it is about getting through those bones. If it is not your day, the bear is going to win, if it is your day, you will win. I killed 2 bears up there. One pissed off sow blacky at about 7 or so meters, and one very hungry brown at about 25 meters. Both were shot with my 270, both 2 shots. I probably did not need the second one on the brown, but it never hurts. are the big boutique calibers better? Yes. Will the 357 loaded properly work? Yes.

Loki
October 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Well for your sake I hope you never have to test that opinion. :D

Colorado XJ
November 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
For sheer firepower, I'd suggest a saiga 12 for ya. It's basically a 12 gauge version of the AK-47 :D It's not a pistol but it has a huge capacity, high fire rate, can handle 3" slugs indefinitely, and it has less recoil because it's a semi-auto. And as an added bonus, it looks completely badass :~)

http://www.tromix.com/images/S02-16inchwt.gif

(did I mention I'm getting one fairly soon :D)