PDA

View Full Version : So fired up for first rifle season

Trango
October 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Am I the only one who is pretty much sleepless in anticipation of First Rifle?

Yucca-Man
October 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Quite possibly. :flipoff2:

ZappBranigan
October 2nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah, my rifle season is over. :P

(Antelope, in Wyoming.)

You're talking about elk, right? My brother-in-law has a good saying about elk hunting:

"It's all fun and games until you pull the trigger. Then the work begins!"

Loki
October 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Funny we used to say that about white tail hunting in PA. :D

DADA_JEEP
October 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
we've gotten prjected reports here in Craig, that our out of state and international hunting is going to be down by HUGE numbers, so if you're still looking for tags, or more tags, they are available. we realy hadn't been hit yet real hard by the economy, but it's looking like our #1 winter industry i going to take a pretty big hit this year. all speculation so far, no physical proof as of yet.

Steve
October 2nd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Am I the only one who is pretty much sleepless in anticipation of First Rifle?

Pretty much. Since I'm hunting in 3rd season I can't get too excited about 1st season. :P

You're talking about elk, right? My brother-in-law has a good saying about elk hunting:

"It's all fun and games until you pull the trigger. Then the work begins!"

Truth, especially when you pull the trigger - and don't miss - right before sunset. That's never stopped me.

ZappBranigan
October 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
we've gotten prjected reports here in Craig, that our out of state and international hunting is going to be down by HUGE numbers, so if you're still looking for tags, or more tags, they are available. we realy hadn't been hit yet real hard by the economy, but it's looking like our #1 winter industry i going to take a pretty big hit this year. all speculation so far, no physical proof as of yet.

Well it seems like the DOW cut way back on tags issued, so that may be the reason. My brother, brother in law and a couple of his friends all put in for RFW tags up by Craig. Of the 5 of them who put in for tags, only one drew a tag. Last year we all got tags.

Warloch
October 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
I am going back up to Craig for first season this year (I grew up there), and 6 out of 7 drew tags. We normally go second, but after the slaughter last year figured it might be best to go earlier.

Trango
October 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
I also put in for a RFW tag and didn't get drawn this year for that.

Psyched for elk. Last year was good for deer but a bust for elk - very excited to see what this year holds.

4wdhunter
October 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
I hunt blackpowder so my season was over a few weeks back. Weather was too warm and didn't see much except on opening morning.

UnlimitedFun
October 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Truth, especially when you pull the trigger - and don't miss - right before sunset.

And a snow storm is starting to roll in...

But elk hunting is something that I will never go a year without doing if I have any say in it...2nd rifle this year with my 13 y/o daughter.

Trango
October 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
BP season was hunting in tshirts. Wacky.

Unlimited, do you think the snow and cold is enough at this point to push herds out of summer and into winter range?

Oscar
October 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
what you dont shoot them in your yard?

kmon35
October 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
I would doubt this storm will be enough to move them. I would think it would need to be sustained for some time before they move.

Disclaimer; I am not a really successful hunter as evidenced by one elk and one deer in the last seven years of hunting.

I will continue to go every year because I don't measure success with dead animals. I measure it with what I learned, how much fun I had learning it, and the immense sense of peace and tranquility I experience every year.

Good luck 1st season folks, leave something for us second seasoners.

Steve
October 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
BP season was hunting in tshirts. Wacky.

Unlimited, do you think the snow and cold is enough at this point to push herds out of summer and into winter range?

I've hunted elk in 3rd season in t-shirts in the middle of the day. That's at 9,000 ft in early November. Nice for riding horses, not so nice for elk hunting.

And no, there haven't been any storms big enough yet to move them down out of the high country.

UnlimitedFun
October 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
I would doubt this storm will be enough to move them. I would think it would need to be sustained for some time before they move.

I will continue to go every year because I don't measure success with dead animals. I measure it with what I learned, how much fun I had learning it, and the immense sense of peace and tranquility I experience every year.

There hasn't been enough high-country snow to push them down too far yet. From what I have learned from people much smarter than I, "generally" the snow needs to exceed 3' in depth (and stay for a prolonged time) before they are really pressured to move towards winter areas.

Excellent outlook :thumbsup: A very wise man once told me that if you shot an animal every year it would be called killing and not hunting.

Yucca-Man
October 2nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
There hasn't been enough high-country snow to push them down too far yet.True enough - saw plenty of bachelor elk wandering between 10,000-12,000 feet at Rocky Mtn Natl Park Monday.

Oscar
October 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Our place sits at 9160 feet we have a herd of at least 30 cows and 5 bulls hanging around one is a 7x7 they seem to pass through about every 3 or 4 days. This the first year we have seen any Bulls. I think since it didnt get that hot they didnt go to high.

DADA_JEEP
October 2nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
we had a nice storm yesterday, but all the snows is gone, and it's the just like it was last week.

UnlimitedFun
October 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Our place sits at 9160 feet we have a herd of at least 30 cows and 5 bulls hanging around one is a 7x7 they seem to pass through about every 3 or 4 days. This the first year we have seen any Bulls. I think since it didnt get that hot they didnt go to high.

Driving along 24 on Labor Day I think we saw that herd. They were grazing on the land right beside the CWWC property. The big bull was very impressive from what we could see driving by.

Oscar
October 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
yup sounds like thats it

Hippie
October 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Saw 4 doe's and a BIG 4 point buck on my roof yesterday evening and 2 does and 2 fawns 5 ft out the bedroom door this morning also have BIG elk tracks about 600 ft down the drive way. I need to call DOW and see if I can pull tags next year for my property :flipoff2:

K2
October 4th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I got a 270 last weekend and sighted it in today! I am feeling great! I was not successful with the bow, but I did find some good areas for next week. Good luck, lets hear some stories next week!

Trango
October 4th, 2009, 11:56 PM

Excellent outlook. This will be my fourth season out in the past few years, and I am optimistic about learning more and getting even more enjoyment out of these experiences.

Thanks for the thoughts on weather and where the animals may be.

Good luck everyone!

Best,
Bob

BigChev
October 5th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I am a first seasoner this year. I have been able to go the last 3 years in a row, but before that I was on a 7 year hiatus. So I haven't been able to bring elk home in 9 years, sure hope I can get one this year! I like elk meat, time with friends in the woods, and time away from the wife (just don't tell her that!).

Anyway, good luck to all.

minime123074
October 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm all packed and ready to go. This will be my first year doing 1st season. I hope it pays off. Can't wait until tommorrow.

dezrik
October 8th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Here in Meeker, I went up yellowjacket and their were hunters every five feet Along the road, Im not a hunter, But Ive heard from other people 1st season around here won't be that great, Second/Third Season is going to be the best this year, Will see :D

Pilot
October 12th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Funny we used to say that about white tail hunting in PA. :D

Yeah, but our PA Whitetails ain't the size of an Elk or Mulie. Still, they all suck to pack out. That's what the coolies and gunbearers are for. :D

bigo1966
October 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I just talked to a guy that got back from the Kremmling area yesterday and he said the same thing. Hunters everywhere. Im guessing the weekend adds to this or is this how it always is during deer or elk season? Next year will be my first big game year(i hope). I have a few (hundred) question. Are some areas more crowded than others? Has anyone here hunted GMU 50 near 11 mile? I grew up hiking and camping that area. What is the best season to apply for, or is that more of a preference??

kmon35
October 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
A friend of mine got back yesterday, and they filled 3 of 4 tags. 2 cows and 1 bull. I am not too sure of their area but thik it is west of Craig.

I am packing, leave on Thurs., if I can get us moved Wed. night.

DADA_JEEP
October 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
you guys coming thru craig let me know, stop and say hi

Yucca-Man
October 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
you guys coming thru craig let me know, I'll stop you and say hiFixered! :flipoff2:

DADA_JEEP
October 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
:D i wasn't going to say it.....

Steve
October 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Next year will be my first big game year(i hope). I have a few (hundred) question. Are some areas more crowded than others?

Without a doubt. The closer to the front range the more crowded. That's also true for some of the more well-known areas. Some areas with lots of elk see very few hunters. ;)

What is the best season to apply for, or is that more of a preference??

It's a preference and a guess on what the weather will do. Unfortunately you have to apply for draw tags in April so you have no idea what the weather will be like before or when you hunt. We hunt 3rd season. The odds are better that it will be colder and snowier then, which is good for the hunting. Some people would rather be comfy in warmer weather.

Trango
October 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Results: So darn close.

On the first two days, we hiked all over the place above treeline and didn't see much sign up high. I did see some tracks at about 11,200, and followed them about a mile until dark, and then made it back down to camp at 9600. That was the best sign we had seen in 2 days, so we decided to move camp down to 8400, and a few ridges away. This was based as much as it was on the shortage of good sign, as it was on the advice we got from some old timers whom some of our party met while doing recon of their own.

After moving, we headed out on Monday morning, and while scouting/walking and figuring out where the sign was strongest, I saw a cow half-trotting/half-galloping towards me. She was on a tangent about 100-110 yards out. I didn't feel confident with a shot on a running animal, and she was soon gone.

The next morning, while sitting in that same meadow, which was absolutely filled with sign, a nice bull walked past me, and laughed at me and my cow tag. It was the beginning of legal hunting hours, and I just barely made out a 5x5 or so rack.

The rest of the trip was a very peaceful time of getting snowed on, meadow and aspen watching, and hearing plenty of shots taken in the woods around us. ;)

Overall, it was a great season, and we all learned alot about the specific unit and how to find elk.

Thanks to everyone for the friendly and helpful banter! :beer:

Best,
Bob

1BGDOG
October 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM
So, you wouldn't make a good Indian like our friend Triple Deuce? I bust your bawls

Trango
October 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
After this past week, I might make a good one. I just came into the gig thinking I could walk around, find some animals, and then take potshots. Then I realized that they were just really big deer = excellent hearing, smell, etc. You just can't blunder around the forest - you have to sit and wait. Sure, you can track relatively silently if there's snow on the ground, but if it's just forest litter underfoor, you make so much noise that walking at all just stuffs you.

Yeah. That was the big insight. :)

Steve
October 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I just came into the gig thinking I could walk around, find some animals, and then take potshots.

:laughing:

Glad to hear the trip went well. :thumbsup:

Trango
October 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Check this out. First day, we were planning on leaving the west side of Ike tunnel and walk basically down to the end of the Williams Fork canyon (where Ptarmigan Peak trailhead is, and where two non-hiking guys would bring the trucks), but Ike was closed for an accident.

So we got dropped off at the base of Loveland. Hiked up and the Divide and over another ridge, and then another 8 miles, glassing every plain and meadow we came to.

We did come face to face with a medium weight bull moose, who wouldn't back down until we both started yelling at it :), and we heard a bear off in the bushes, but no elk. :)

Yeah, I should have thought of them as just big, mountain deer. I was thinking that it was different wisdom than hunting whitetail and muleys. Nope, same wisdom, same Cervid paranoia to movement. Took a few days to get that dialled down. Hey, first time. :)

Best,
Bob

ASCTLC
October 16th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Scored at Buffalo Peaks. Buddy got a nice big mature 6x6 second day and I took a spike the last day with barely over an hour of shooting light left. Too little at tree line so we went low (~10,000 - 10,800).

Trango
October 16th, 2009, 08:20 AM
The last hour of the last day - I bet you were psyched.

ASCTLC
October 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
The last hour of the last day - I bet you were psyched.

You bet. Cold, wet, absolutely exhausted putting many miles on my feet per day - then I bumped him. He turned and ran but I saw he was making a left around the end of the hill. I bee-lined it straight over and he was standing there looking backwards like I would follow his same path after him. Silly elk :silly:

van7559
October 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Any pics?

Rubi Unlimited
October 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
1st season we bagged 2 bull, 1 cow and a Ford
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/PhotoTWB/Elk%20hunts%202009/1st%20season/Elk20091stseason113-1.jpg

DADA_JEEP
October 16th, 2009, 10:30 PM
1st season we bagged 2 bull, 1 cow and a Ford

:worthless: of the dead ford

Yucca-Man
October 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Psssht. You see one dead Ford, you've seem all of 'em.

ASCTLC
October 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Any pics?

Here's Mike's 6x6. Nothing but a belly up pic of my spike, tied to the trees to be unzipped.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31/ASCTLC/Elkhunt09033.jpg

K2
October 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Results: So darn close.
After moving, we headed out on Monday morning, and while scouting/walking and figuring out where the sign was strongest, I saw a cow half-trotting/half-galloping towards me. She was on a tangent about 100-110 yards out. I didn't feel confident with a shot on a running animal, and she was soon gone.

Thanks to everyone for the friendly and helpful banter! :beer:

Best,
Bob

Try to whistle, they will stop for a brief moment and you can get a shot. I dont feel comfortable shooting a rifle at a moving target either. Good ethical hinting in my opinion.

We filled 3 of 6 tags, on opening day a cow, a 4x4 and a 6x6. I took a shot at a cow at ~220yds (range finder said 219 to the trees she was behind). My cousin and I tried a 1... 2... 3... SHOOT technique that I think needs more practice. Saw a bunch and learned even more. They bed down tight on sunny days and even more so after they have been shot at a couple of times. I bumped 6 out while stalking through the woods archery style, they sounded like a train running away from me. They were bedded down tight in the dark timber.

Steve
November 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
3rd season for elk was very successful. :thumbsup:

ASCTLC
November 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Tender cows or stick on their heads?

Steve
November 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I had a cow tag. Drove up to the cabin Saturday morning. Left the cabin to hunt about 4 pm. Was field dressing by 5. :)

Jeffro600
November 8th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I had a cow tag. Drove up to the cabin Saturday morning. Left the cabin to hunt about 4 pm. Was field dressing by 5. :)

Pics or it didnt happen... :flipoff2:

DADA_JEEP
November 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM
any way to find out if someone has an unfilled cow tag they don't want? my neighbor from aurora is coming up this way in a few weeks and i was hoping to get them a 2nd tag.

Steve
November 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Pics or it didnt happen... :flipoff2:

I have pics. I don't need to post them. The 150 lbs or so of elk meat that will fill my freezer soon is more than enough proof for me. :flipoff2:

Jeffro600
November 10th, 2009, 05:57 PM
MMMhmm

CSP
November 11th, 2009, 12:15 PM
any way to find out if someone has an unfilled cow tag they don't want? my neighbor from aurora is coming up this way in a few weeks and i was hoping to get them a 2nd tag.

Tags are not transferrable from person to person. That's a huge no-no.

Steve
November 11th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Tags are not transferrable from person to person. That's a huge no-no.

Yup. That's how people lose firearms, vehicles, and their hunting rights.

DADA_JEEP
November 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM
ok, i didn't know that. is it still pssible to get a tag from DOW then? there've been a lot less out of state hunters this year, so they are out there somewhere. is some guy in Texas hanging on to his and not coming out to hunt?

Warloch
November 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Need to check with the DOW office in Denver to see if there are any leftover or turned in tags for the area (have a neighbor that did that for the first season). I know that they issued a lot fewer tags for the areas NE of Craig (4, 441) this year than in the past as they are getting to the management level they want.

CSP
November 12th, 2009, 09:57 AM
No need to check with Denver DOW. It's right here:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Leftovers/

Some guy in Texas hanging on to his and not coming out to hunt is still an issued license. Unless he turns it in prior to season starting it's still in his name. I don't know if a turned in license results in another one issued anyhow. I would doubt it.

DADA_JEEP
November 12th, 2009, 10:01 AM
thanks