PDA

View Full Version : Canon 7D...hands on review!

Jeffro600
September 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Got to put my hands on one for about 10 mins last night...all i can say is Canon FINALLY got it right!!! Standard SOLID build quality, a bit of refinement on the finish(mainly the new LCD)...it feels good in your hands and is build almost identically to the x0D series.

18MP, 8 FPS, FINALLY an updated 19 point auto focus system, FINALLY a very slick working built in wireless flash controller, lens micro adjust, LOTS of custom controls...:drool:

Im super excited about this body and am this close to pre-ordering one but am going to wait to see if they roll out any other full frame goodness first...ive already got a nice, fast crop body for action\sports and would rather have a FF for portraits, weddings, etc. Going to be very exciting to see what else they roll out this year. Thats about the only good thing about Fall...seeing and drooling over all the new electronic gear that comes out! :flipoff2:

ArloGuthroJeep
September 28th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I would be all over the 7D...if it were FF:( Sounds like a great camera otherwise though. Hard to believe they came out with a new camera at that price point that wasn't FF.

Jeffro600
September 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I would be all over the 7D...if it were FF:( Sounds like a great camera otherwise though. Hard to believe they came out with a new camera at that price point that wasn't FF.

The 50D wasnt cutting it competing with Nikons D300, this will change that...the camera is only 400 dollars more than the 50D when it first came out...you wont find a new FF camera with this many features for under 2000 bucks.

ArloGuthroJeep
September 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah, but I WANT one for under $2000:D

ArloGuthroJeep
September 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Video from the 7D posted on Edgadget this morning: http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/28/production-canon-eos-7d-video-samples-hit-the-web/

Tiffany
September 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
So Jeff how does the 7D compare to the 5DM2 aside from the FF sensor?

I am in a holding pattern right now with the 50D waiting to see what Canon does in the FF realm. I can either grab the 5DM2 around the first of the year or just keep waiting.

Jeffro600
September 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
So Jeff how does the 7D compare to the 5DM2 aside from the FF sensor?

I am in a holding pattern right now with the 50D waiting to see what Canon does in the FF realm. I can either grab the 5DM2 around the first of the year or just keep waiting.

Ya know Tiff, i have no idea...i still havent even put my hands on a 5DMK2 yet. Rumor mill has Canon putting out 2 more high level DSLR's this year...im hoping one is the 1DMK4 and one is a FF to compete better with Nikons D3 and D700. If Canon would just put out a fast FPS, affordable full frame, id be ALL over it!

thenimirra
September 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
me too. however, I'm starting to see some issues with full frame. Sure, I love that an 8x12 or a 10x15 is the perfect size for my ff portrait shots on my 5D, but tell that to a customer who is upset because they can't find a frame for an 8x12 image. They seem to only sell 8x10s or 11x14. Sigh.

Makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and budget for that 7D to replace my only second body which is currently an XTi.

Tiffany
September 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
After having shot full frame and having heard the same issues as you Sheba I am kind of on the path to a 7D myself.

Custom frames are expensive. The 7D, from what I have seen in the last couple of days, has some amazing IQ. The guy I picked my 50D up from replaced it with a 7D and posted some images that are, well, amazing!

I think there is a bit too much of a push right now that you can't be a true "pro" unless you shoot FF. And when it comes down to actual work and quality I am finding that more and more "pros" are not jumping on the FF wagon.

Jeffro600
September 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I think my plan is to sell my MKii before the first of the year, replacing it with the 7D...and wait patiently to see if they put out a new FF...if not, ill probably pick up a used 5D.

Ive come to the realization that i cant go without a fast crop camera...i shoot too much sports, too much wildlife and too much action in general to go without fast FPS and good auto focus. If the 7D proves to have as good of auto focus as my 1D(kinda doubting it as your talking a professional vs prosumer grade cameras, but might surprise me...), then ill for sure make the change.

thenimirra
September 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM
glad I'm not the only one having that issue, Tiffany. It just kills me to have to crop an image to an 8x10 and lose so much of it when I know the 8x12 is perfect. But I want to make things as easy as possible on clients so they become repeat customers.

I need more speed though than that 5D can give sometimes, so I'm leaning towards the 7D too.

Jeffro600
October 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM
As much as i ranted about the 5DMKii....

I REALLLY REALLLLLYYY want one now! Got to fondle one while out on some craigslist lens prospecting this afternoon and i think im in love! Found someone who wants to trade my 1DMKii and my 100-400L straight across for a brand new one....TEMPTED!!! :drool: But there goes my sports setup...:rolleyes: