PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching?

Colin
September 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Anyone else do it? Some people view it as kinda geeky but I like it. Gives me an excuse to take the pup and gf out on a hike. Have about 90 under my belt since last summer.

What GPS units is everyone using? I'm currently using a Magellan Triton 500, its an awesome little gps once you get over the steep learning curve, though I was expecting this, my eXplorist 500 wasn't any better.

OrangeCrush
September 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM
my garmin 550 can import straight from geocache website and has bike and jeep mounts then has a 8 hour battery for last bit of hike

RockyRed
September 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM
You'd be suprised how many geo sites are in and around Moab.
We had a guest rider in our group a few years ago and he was into it.
I will admit it was fun while doing the trails he would tell us approx where we would find a 'treasure'....took a few minutes. We would take something and replace it with a few Jeep items...........

Scott91MJ
September 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM
They are in town also, I have one right outside my work

Colin
September 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I think the ones in town are silly, but thats just me. I do it to get out in nature not wonder around a parking lot till SWAT is called in...lol

newracer
September 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
My sons and I have done a few. We have also found many just looking around in areas we think would be a good spot for one.

Colin
September 30th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I think the best part is learning about the area you live in. I've actually learned quite a bit of local history though them as well as discovered some really neat areas I never would have found otherwise. Neatest so far was a b-24 wreck in the Taylor canyon from WWII days.

Oscar
September 30th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Bomb squad blew one up at Pikes Peak College last night it was an ammo can full of toys in Colorado Springs

Mudbug63
October 1st, 2009, 08:04 AM
Bomb squad blew one up at Pikes Peak College last night it was an ammo can full of toys in Colorado Springs

I partially blame the person who placed it for this one....They have cheap stickers to mark it as to what it is or at least take the time to mark it with a sharpie.

Mr. Mojo
October 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
My family loves how we find new hikes, sometimes right under our nose's. And also when we travel. My iPhone has a Geocache app and a GPS that appears equal to my Garmin, but with better maps available if you have coverage.(@&%#$'in AT&T!!!)

K2
October 31st, 2009, 01:13 PM
I partially blame the person who placed it for this one....They have cheap stickers to mark it as to what it is or at least take the time to mark it with a sharpie.

Now I know how I am going to mark my next bomb!