PDA

View Full Version : Help, my 12 valve keeps getting faster....

Camp
September 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hmmm......#100 plate and a new turbo.....with exhaust brake.....soon to be installed. I'm thinking I need to find some different gears and a 6-speed instead of the 5 speed and 4.10's :evil:

:flipoff2:

Cresso
September 9th, 2009, 03:27 PM
You know the rule about bragging rights. Dyno sheets or it didn't happen.

EvilDead
September 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Anytime ya want to race one of my Subaru's, let me know, and I'll meet ya at the track!

Camp
September 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
You know the rule about bragging rights. Dyno sheets or it didn't happen.

It's not ready for the dyno and I don't see it making much hp even when the new set up is dialed in. I'd be shocked if it broke 300hp. It won't be anything next to my last truck but, I did only pay $1500 for it :flipoff2:

Anytime ya want to race one of my Subaru's, let me know, and I'll meet ya at the track!
As long as I get to bring my STi, it sounds like fun :D Besides, this truck is not actually being set up to drag race, it is being set up to be a tow monster. 8200lbs of truck won't actually ever be fast, that is more of an oxymoron :D

Steve
September 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
8200lbs of truck won't actually ever be fast, that is more of an oxymoron :D

I dunno, your old one wasn't a slouch. Of course, if you'd just kept it you wouldn't have to build another one now either. :P

Camp
September 9th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I dunno, your old one wasn't a slouch. Of course, if you'd just kept it you wouldn't have to build another one now either. :P

Yeah, but now I have an ultra cool paint job that is continually flaking off the truck, making the prep work for the next paint job even easier :D

Besides, I now have a 10' flat bed but, no back seat :( It should be good to go once I set up the ramps to load the Stupidru on the back of it. I need to get that done before Thanksgiving or borrow a trailer again because I'll be in Moab :bounce:

Steve
September 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I need to get that done before Thanksgiving or borrow a trailer again because I'll be in Moab :bounce:

You suck.

yota79crawler
September 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM
got any pics of it?

Rex Ashton
September 9th, 2009, 10:43 PM
got any pics of it?Gotta ditto that....I'll be grabbing a high mileage '98 12 valve in a couple of weeks. Wanna keep it cheap, but make it fast :cool:

post up the pics!!!

Scott39
September 10th, 2009, 03:04 AM
My buddy put a new turbo on his 12 valve and 370 injectors, 4inch exhaust, I forgot what fuel plate, and he is at 500hp, 1200 ft.lbs. crazy fast.

Doesn`t take much to get power out of a 12valve.
I rode in John`s truck at Holland court Diesel, it is a 24valve with twins, and all kinds of stuff. It is his daily driver, and it is wicked fast, high 11`s in the quarter mile.

Camp
September 10th, 2009, 07:11 AM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs184.snc1/6160_119072543766_578378766_2927281_1715169_n.jpg

It is a '95 with a 10' flat bed. It is the extra cab long bed chassis with a single cab on it. 12V, 5 speed, 4WD with 162K miles when I picked it up. The transmission had to be pulled and rebuilt as all the syncro's were wasted. Since we had it out, we put a new flywheel with the bigger clutch and pressure plate in it along with the better mainshaft and 5th gear nut. I had to rebuild the headliner and fix a bunch of interior stuff, including install speakers and a radio but, for the price, I couldn't possibly walk away from it. We also did governor springs, #10 plate, 4" exhaust from Summit, and KDP. Since someone.....stepped up to a bigger turbo on his '02 24V, I now have the hybrid turbo he was running and the exhuast brake, since his turbo change required he put a 3rd gen exhaust brake on it to match the 4" turbo outlet.

Soon I will pull the flat bed off for sand blasting and repainting. I'm likely to strip and shoot the cab with some paint while the bed is off as well, since all the cab paint is flaking off. I need to replace a front fender before I bother painting the cab though because there is a decent dent in the drivers side fender.

Camp
September 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM
My buddy put a new turbo on his 12 valve and 370 injectors, 4inch exhaust, I forgot what fuel plate, and he is at 500hp, 1200 ft.lbs. crazy fast.

Doesn`t take much to get power out of a 12valve.
I rode in John`s truck at Holland court Diesel, it is a 24valve with twins, and all kinds of stuff. It is his daily driver, and it is wicked fast, high 11`s in the quarter mile.

I'd be interested to know more specifics about your buddies set up. Is it still the stock pump and what pump is that, or what year is the truck? Also, what turbo did he put on and how happy is he with it towing? I don't want to end up with a turbo that surges when towing because it is too big for out here. What I have now should work good and I don't think I need to go for bigger injectors yet...

Pioneer
September 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Gotta ditto that....I'll be grabbing a high mileage '98 12 valve in a couple of weeks. Wanna keep it cheap, but make it fast :cool:

post up the pics!!!

You Sir have a problem ;)

Grantjd
September 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
If you go with a 6 speed ill buy your 4500!

Rex Ashton
September 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM
You Sir have a problem ;)Yes, I do.

....sad thing is, there's no Dr. Drew therapy available for it :( :thumbsdown:

....it also appears I'm buying a stupid XJ for which I have no purpose --- still can't turn it down :shrug:

....glad the wifey loves me despite my condition :hail:

Hippie
September 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM
aand you sold the dually because :confused:

:flipoff2:

you knew you would be building the next one to the same level :flipoff2:

Scott39
September 13th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I'd be interested to know more specifics about your buddies set up. Is it still the stock pump and what pump is that, or what year is the truck? Also, what turbo did he put on and how happy is he with it towing? I don't want to end up with a turbo that surges when towing because it is too big for out here. What I have now should work good and I don't think I need to go for bigger injectors yet...
It is an 1994. I will talk to him this week and ask what turbo.

I have another friend that built his alittle bit milder, also a 94", he is getting about 350-390hp and 7-750 torque, and still getting 20+ mpg.
This is what I plan on doing.
I will get all of this trucks info maybe today, or monday.

Some people clam you can get 4-500 hp and big torque numbers just by tweaking the P pump.

Some good info over here also.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

I just moved my fuel plate up and it made a difference, but my egt`s went up. I couldn`t believe how much more power I could feel when I put on an after market air filter, what a difference.

I wouldn`t do 4:10 gears unless you put on 35" tires, and even for me that is still to low for cruising at 75mph.
When I`am cruising down the Hwy, I like to be running about 16-1800 rpms for good mileage.

My truck has 4:10s, 35", and a Gear Vendor Overdrive (6th gear but taller than a 6th gear in a 6spd tranny) and I love the rpms I cruise at.
If you are ever by the Lakewood area, you can test drive mine with the gears I have, and overdrive.

Scott

Camp
September 14th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Scott, I already have 4.10's so, I'm working on regearing to 3.54's. Just have to find some used gears to hang. I may have a line on one for the 60 but, finding a used 3.54 for the 80 is going to be a little tougher.

Well, the new turbor will be going in this week with the #100 plate. I blew up the turbo last night out on 70 right before the Genesee exit going West. We put it on the trailer and towed it back to the shop so, this week I'll be working on it to get it back up and going again :shrug:

74BuckinBronc
September 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Sweet! I'll supply the 10k trailer for the race! :P

J.D.

Camp
September 16th, 2009, 07:06 AM
All is well again. I put the HTT modded HX35 in last night and the truck is back up and running good. The shaft is broken in my stock HX35 but, no pics because I didn't take the turbo apart yet. Pictures wouldn't show anything exciting except that the exhaust wheel is covered in oil....

yota79crawler
September 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
htt modded hx35?
is that anything like my 35/40 hybred i used to run on my 90 ctd.
it had the hx35 exhaust housing with a hx40 stuffed into it.
are u gonna run some bigger injectors? mabey some 370's

Camp
September 17th, 2009, 06:18 AM
That is correct, it is a 35/40 hybrid. I might get some injectors at some point but, it seems to make good, cool power right now so, we will see how it goes. I will likely put the #100 plate in this weekend. It still has the #10 plate in it right now and seems to run out of fuel up top just a little.

Camp
November 2nd, 2009, 06:48 AM
Mmmmm.......all is right with the world again. #100 plat has been in for a while but, with the cold weather, I've been having trouble getting the truck up to temp because of the short runs it has to make in the mornings to the bus stop and then home at night. Pacbrake went on yesterday with 60lbs valve springs and all the gear to make it run. A valve adjustment along the way and she purrs like a kitten again and can warm up at idle :D Now I just need to set up a solenoid and switch to high idle the truck without throttle input.

But wait, now I have a boost leak behind the gauge :mad: and will have to get in there to fix that. It doesn't seem to leak until I get up above 30lbs of boost but, right now I can hit 35+ pounds almost instantly. I need to adjust the boost fooler elbow a little and back it down again. I could only get 33lbs before the valve adjustment but, last night it was having no issue blowing by 35lbs :D

mrutledge
November 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
But wait, now I have a boost leak behind the gauge :mad: and will have to get in there to fix that. It doesn't seem to leak until I get up above 30lbs of boost but, right now I can hit 35+ pounds almost instantly. I need to adjust the boost fooler elbow a little and back it down again. I could only get 33lbs before the valve adjustment but, last night it was having no issue blowing by 35lbs :D

I'm confused. Are you bragging or complaining? :D

Sweet ride by the way. Love the 10' bed.

-matt

Camp
November 2nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
I'm confused. Are you bragging or complaining? :D

Sweet ride by the way. Love the 10' bed.

-matt

I need to back the boost down a little. That turbo really shouldn't see more than 36lbs as the absolute upper limit so, I need to turn it down or I'll have another broken one. I still haven't taken apart the last turbo but, it is on the floor in the shop and I can assure you the shaft between the wheels is broke :D

Thanks, this is the most useful truck I have ever owned.

Camp
January 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I still haven't taken apart the turbo with the broken shaft yet but, the spare 12V head was just dropped off to get cleaned and checked for cracks so I can port it in the next couple of weeks, get a three angle valve job done and drop it on the truck :evil:

hightimes2
January 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM
whats the power goals for this truck?

Camp
January 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
whats the power goals for this truck?

This truck will not get near the last truck I had for power, given what I'm doing. At this point, I'm not interested in making more power, just making it more usable. I towed to Moab and back with the Stupidru on a very heavy trailer over Thanksgiving and had more power than I could use. Heat was an issue so, it is time to port the head and then possibly change the cam to bring EGT's down. Since this truck has the 5 speed in it, I don't think I'll ever put twins on it or it will cook that transmission in pretty short order.

I think this truck was around 300/750 or something like that on the emissions dyno. I'm think it will pick up a few more of each but, not really going for power adders right now. Still on stock injectors and a 100 plate with the hybrid turbo.

Elk
January 7th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I don't think I'll ever put twins on it or it will cook

:lmao:

hightimes2
January 7th, 2010, 10:59 AM
This truck will not get near the last truck I had for power, given what I'm doing. At this point, I'm not interested in making more power, just making it more usable. I towed to Moab and back with the Stupidru on a very heavy trailer over Thanksgiving and had more power than I could use. Heat was an issue so, it is time to port the head and then possibly change the cam to bring EGT's down. Since this truck has the 5 speed in it, I don't think I'll ever put twins on it or it will cook that transmission in pretty short order.

I think this truck was around 300/750 or something like that on the emissions dyno. I'm think it will pick up a few more of each but, not really going for power adders right now. Still on stock injectors and a 100 plate with the hybrid turbo.

what 5 speed is it? If its the nv4500 it will last just fine with twins :D

Camp
January 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM
what 5 speed is it? If its the nv4500 it will last just fine with twins :D

Yes it is the NV4500. With twins and pulling heavy, it won't last long. Running empty is stands a chance of a decent life span but, pulling the passes with 500+ horse does not allow it a long life span. The bearings can't take it and it will make a ton of heat. You should see the gear we have from one that burned up, it literally melted the teeth off the gear and rolled them over.

hightimes2
January 7th, 2010, 02:48 PM
was it 3rd gear?

Camp
January 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM
was it 3rd gear?

No, it was the input gear. I just asked Starnes to take a picture of it so I can post it up later. It is at his work.

Scott39
January 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Yes it is the NV4500. With twins and pulling heavy, it won't last long. Running empty is stands a chance of a decent life span but, pulling the passes with 500+ horse does not allow it a long life span. The bearings can't take it and it will make a ton of heat. You should see the gear we have from one that burned up, it literally melted the teeth off the gear and rolled them over.

Are you staying with the NV4500 or going with a different tranny?

Camp
January 8th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Are you staying with the NV4500 or going with a different tranny?
I am staying with the NV4500, hence my unwillingness to make more power. I have access to a NV5600 but, it isn't worth the extra work to swap them in my opinion. The truck pulls good now, I don't need it to be any faster, just run a little cooler.

Camp
February 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Cam on order, head at the machine shop.......... :evil:

CLYDE
February 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I don't need it to be any faster, just run a little cooler.
Uhh yeah, what happened to this???? I assume your fire ringing it, and studding the head at this point??

Trango
February 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Threadjack - Hey Chad, It was great to see you and Jason. Thanks for swinging up. I'll let you know when the 8.3 comes to town.

Hippie
February 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
said it once in this thread and willing to put a 20 spot on it - Chad will end up building this to rival his old truck that he never should have sold ;):flipoff2:

Trango
February 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hey - someone on Boise CL has a reman HX40 for $300...

Sorry, no link - I'm barely awake enough to remember where I saw it and how much...

Trango
February 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Darn inescapable sense of duty and diligence

was out there looking for bigger snails for the 8.3 :evil:

CLYDE
February 6th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Bob, you cant put the link here, But, you can post it in vip:flipoff2:

Is the 40 big enough for the 8.3??? I know it would work on my 12 valve:D

Trango
February 6th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Google: HX40w Holset Boise Craigslist will take you right there.

COcummins
February 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
have you played with the timing at all?

since it takes almost nothing to get mine up to 1300 egt's, i'll be taking it over to rob watkins to get the timing advanced once i get the old pig back on the road. from what i've read it should make a good dent in high temps for this setup, and help with low end smoke levels.

Rex Ashton
February 6th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Google: HX40w Holset Boise Craigslist will take you right there.:D Love it.

Great way to give a fellow member a tip "within the rules" :thumbsup:

I understand the Craigslist rule, but there are so many shades of gray that exist between black and white. Directing another member here to a link that may possibly help a plea for help....Well, that why so many of us come here. However, I understand that rules are rules. ;)

Kudos, Bob, for finding a way to direct a fellow member of CO4x4 to the pertinent information in a widely-acceptable format. :beer: :beer:

Cheers.

Trango
February 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Sure thing - and no worries on my side about the rule. Rules are rules. I simply have to find alternate methods of enablement. :)

Camp
February 7th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Uhh yeah, what happened to this???? I assume your fire ringing it, and studding the head at this point??

Still on that plan. The cam opens the valves sooner and much faster so it can flow a ton more air. The porting of the head and gasket matching the intake and exhaust manifold just allows it to breath :D

Threadjack - Hey Chad, It was great to see you and Jason. Thanks for swinging up. I'll let you know when the 8.3 comes to town.

It was good to see you as well Bob. I can't wait to see what one of those 8.3's is capable of :thumbsup:

said it once in this thread and willing to put a 20 spot on it - Chad will end up building this to rival his old truck that he never should have sold ;):flipoff2:

You're going to lose money :flipoff2:

Camp
February 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
have you played with the timing at all?

since it takes almost nothing to get mine up to 1300 egt's, i'll be taking it over to rob watkins to get the timing advanced once i get the old pig back on the road. from what i've read it should make a good dent in high temps for this setup, and help with low end smoke levels.

I'm currently running 17 degrees, which is just a tad too much on my current set up. It flutters in second at WOT at about 2500 to 3000 rpm. I'm not sure what it is going to take once we get this other head and cam in there. :evil:

Bob, I don't need more turbo. I have plenty of turbo for what I'm doing. I'm running right at the top of the map for my current turbo at 34 or 35 psi but, with the cam and ported head, intake and exhaust, my boost should actually drop a few pounds but, flow a ton more air.

CLYDE
February 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Damnit, Im getting the bug to start adding to mine now. Ordered a Denny t pin tonite, and probably going to order a new trans from Goerend this week. Trying to find someplace in town that stocks gauges, hoping holland court has em, then I can run this pump up to its potential. Then I gotta find a better turbo than this itty bitty h1c, and then injectors, and then, and then........:headbang::headbang::headbang:

hightimes2
February 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Damnit, Im getting the bug to start adding to mine now. Ordered a Denny t pin tonite, and probably going to order a new trans from Goerend this week. Trying to find someplace in town that stocks gauges, hoping holland court has em, then I can run this pump up to its potential. Then I gotta find a better turbo than this itty bitty h1c, and then injectors, and then, and then........:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Holland court is a no as far a stocking them but he can get them to you in a few days. I should have a few HX-40's for sell in a month or so

CLYDE
February 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Holland court is a no as far a stocking them but he can get them to you in a few days. I should have a few HX-40's for sell in a month or so
let me know, if I havent done anything by then, I will be interested for sure. I have to do a balancing act, since this is my tow rig, I want it faster, but dont want to be fighting egt's all the time..

Powerwagon
February 7th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Then you want to sell off all the vacuum stuff for the cruise control that you don't have the controls for right?!!:beer:

CLYDE
February 7th, 2010, 08:35 PM
lmao, no, that stuff will all work with what Im doing:flipoff2:

Trango
February 7th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Hey Chad,

I'm actually trying to pre-plan an 8.3 build as soon as possible. Possibly injectors, but definitely pump mods and timing.

And... turbo if I can swing it.

But, I'm finding very little info on injectors and turbo.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd love any advice about what to do on the C series. There just is not alot of info out there about lightly bombing this motor, aside from what you'll find on the P pump (common to the B series).

Best,
Bob

hightimes2
February 7th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Hey Chad,

I'm actually trying to pre-plan an 8.3 build as soon as possible. Possibly injectors, but definitely pump mods and timing.

And... turbo if I can swing it.

But, I'm finding very little info on injectors and turbo.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd love any advice about what to do on the C series. There just is not alot of info out there about lightly bombing this motor, aside from what you'll find on the P pump (common to the B series).

Best,
Bob

whats the stock turbo

Trango
February 7th, 2010, 10:50 PM
hx40, I believe. Jason Starnes says I should rock an S300. I am not sure what the cheapest and most effective snail I can slap on would be.

COcummins
February 8th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Then you want to sell off all the vacuum stuff for the cruise control that you don't have the controls for right?!!:beer:

i think i might still have all that stuff off my motor sitting in a box some place if you're needing it.

CLYDE
February 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
i think i might still have all that stuff off my motor sitting in a box some place if you're needing it.He needs everything but the steering wheel, and I need the steering wheel, or at least the controls off of a 92 style wheel, thats why he is trying to scarf up my goodies.

Camp
February 10th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I put the head up on the table last night and did a little layout with it. The exhaust valve seats have been changes but, the intake have not been touched yet. I have layout fluid on the exhaust ports and have scribed the line for gasket matching. You can see in the one picture that is a close up of the port, there is a lot of material that will be coming out of those things to let this engine breath a little better :evil:

I had the machine shop do a little work on the ports at the valves prior to me doing hand porting, just to save a little time.

The cam and tappets showed up yesterday too. I'm getting a back log of parts laying around and need to get a free day to start installing stuff. I also have a set of drive lights (PIAA) to install, a front receiver to install, and 3.54 gears for both ends that will get put in too.

Jason Starnes
February 10th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I put the head up on the table last night and did a little layout with it. The exhaust valve seats have been changes but, the intake have not been touched yet. I have layout fluid on the exhaust ports and have scribed the line for gasket matching. You can see in the one picture that is a close up of the port, there is a lot of material that will be coming out of those things to let this engine breath a little better :evil:

I had the machine shop do a little work on the ports at the valves prior to me doing hand porting, just to save a little time.

The cam and tappets showed up yesterday too. I'm getting a back log of parts laying around and need to get a free day to start installing stuff. I also have a set of drive lights (PIAA) to install, a front receiver to install, and 3.54 gears for both ends that will get put in too.

you-r-dumb throw that sh*t in the South Platte, it will never work.....

Scott39
February 10th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Those darn PIAA's don't make you go faster.:flipoff2:

Camp
February 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Those darn PIAA's don't make you go faster.:flipoff2:

No but, they make me easier to find at the bottom of the river when Starnes pushes me in because my truck got a cam installed before his :D

Actually, the headlights on my truck are so weak that it is almost a necessity to have some driving lights. It is very hard to see anything at night in the mountains with my truck and the PIAA option was cheaper and easier than upgrading to HID's for the headlights.

Camp
February 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Intake bowls are ported. Tomorrow I'll polish them and port and polish the exhaust bowls and runners. I wish I could get into the intake runners but, without cutting off the intake plenum, I can only get to #2 thru #5 runners, leaving the head unbalanced for flow. Guess I'll just have to leave it as is in that department.

Hippie
February 13th, 2010, 09:34 PM
You're going to lose money :flipoff2:

doubt it- whats the time frame for the bet :flipoff2:

Camp
February 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM
doubt it- whats the time frame for the bet :flipoff2:

Time frame is how long this turbo lasts. Once I blow this turbo up, who knows what will happen. I'm not bothering to o-ring the head so, it won't be getting big twins :D

Here are some shots of the head with the porting and polishing work done. It will go back to the machine shop this week to be decked and get a grind on the valve seats so it can be re-assembled and installed :evil:

CLYDE
February 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
just got my tracking number for my Denny-T pin. Now I just need a pyro, and I can start tweaking the pump.

Jason Starnes
February 16th, 2010, 12:14 PM
just got my tracking number for my Denny-T pin. Now I just need a pyro, and I can start tweaking the pump.

you are gonna have to much fuel for the wh1c... do you still have the stock 16cm housing on it, wait, what year... it may have an 18cm housing..... you need a 12wg......for now....

CLYDE
February 16th, 2010, 04:55 PM
it was a 92 and I think that has the big housing aka lagmaster housing. Would like to do away with it, ideally an hx40, but cant justify the expense right now, would have to change the exhaust etc. If I didnt have to try and find a trans for this thing I could probably do it. But I am going to have to put at least a convertor in it..

Camp
February 26th, 2010, 02:14 PM
The head is back from the machine shop so, time to start tearing the engine down to install. 60 lbs springs on both intake and exhaust when it goes on, to deal with the ramp rates of the new cam. I managed to get the new front receiver mounted yesterday and the new PIAA driving lights but, not pictures of either of those yet.

Camp
March 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Small update. The ported and polished head is back on. It dropped my cruising boost about 2 pounds and cruising EGT about 100 to 150 degrees, level ground. Going up 70 out of golden at 70 mph, boost is also down about 2 lbs but, EGT's are down 200 degrees. I'm curious to see how much that will effect my fuel mileage so, I filled the tank up last night. I"ll try to get some fuel improvement numbers this week. In the next couple of weeks, I'll pull it back in the shop for the cam swap and see what difference that makes for boost, egt, and economy.

Trango
March 15th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Whoa. 100 deg EGT drop is significant. How much was your cost for the ported and polished head?

Camp
March 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Whoa. 100 deg EGT drop is significant. How much was your cost for the ported and polished head?

I did all the port work myself so, the machine shop did a valve job and a pre-port cut on it to save me time, as well as decked the head. I think I had around $500 in machine work and parts in the job when all said and done. It was two separate trips to the machine shop and I didn't pay close attention to what it was costing. The first trip to cut and clean it was $215. The second trip for the valve job was around $250. I had to buy a second set of 60lb springs for the intake side, which is needed for the new cam and I think they were around $75 or so. We have the springs in now but, not the cam.

Right now, the truck runs up the mountain at 70 mph, which is about 2400rpm, at 22 lbs of boost and 900 degrees. The truck weighs 8200lbs wet. There is tons of power on tap at that cruising speed, uphill, with plenty of additional boost to keep it cool. Right now, the turbo maxes out at 32 psi. I was able to get it to 1300 WOT but, it took a while to creep up that high. I'm pretty happy with it right now and can't wait to see how much more the cam helps.

Trango
March 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Interesting. I am going to see what the 8.3 puts out, but that's a good baseline for possible cost.

Hippie
March 15th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Nice btw you suck:flipoff2::beer:

Flake
March 15th, 2010, 03:44 PM
With a minimum of a 100 degree drop in egt from porting sounds like time well spent, very nice.

COcummins
March 15th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Right now, the truck runs up the mountain at 70 mph, which is about 2400rpm, at 22 lbs of boost and 900 degrees. The truck weighs 8200lbs wet. There is tons of power on tap at that cruising speed, uphill, with plenty of additional boost to keep it cool. Right now, the turbo maxes out at 32 psi. I was able to get it to 1300 WOT but, it took a while to creep up that high. I'm pretty happy with it right now and can't wait to see how much more the cam helps.

WOW, i really need to get my timing done! when i go up I70 out of golden i usually have to sit in the middle lane to keep my EGT's under 1250 with plenty of go peddle left. i know part of this was due to my old gearing & tires but even cruising on flat ground i'd be around 900*.

if EGT's are your biggest concern right now, have you considered H2O/meth injection if your new cam doesn't get the numbers where you want them?

Camp
March 16th, 2010, 06:09 AM
WOW, i really need to get my timing done! when i go up I70 out of golden i usually have to sit in the middle lane to keep my EGT's under 1250 with plenty of go peddle left. i know part of this was due to my old gearing & tires but even cruising on flat ground i'd be around 900*.

if EGT's are your biggest concern right now, have you considered H2O/meth injection if your new cam doesn't get the numbers where you want them?

I have no real worries about EGT at the moment. I'm not interested in making more power right now and don't want to add any additional parts that I have to maintain. I'm trying to build this truck on the KISS theory. I want to be able to toss the keys to anyone and know that no matter what they do driving it, they can't hurt it.

I was wrong on rpm at 70 mph too. I checked last night and the rpm is actually only 2250 at 70 mph. That will change when I get time to slap the 3.54's in there. :D

co84rc
March 16th, 2010, 07:16 PM
mine with 3.54's runs 2100 at 70mph.

Scott39
March 16th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I have no real worries about EGT at the moment. I'm not interested in making more power right now and don't want to add any additional parts that I have to maintain. I'm trying to build this truck on the KISS theory. I want to be able to toss the keys to anyone and know that no matter what they do driving it, they can't hurt it.

I was wrong on rpm at 70 mph too. I checked last night and the rpm is actually only 2250 at 70 mph. That will change when I get time to slap the 3.54's in there. :DI love my gear vendor overdrive, and am glad it came with the truck and I didn't buy it.
I have 4:10's, 35" tires, and at 80mph = 2000rpm, gotta love it.

Have fast does this truck feel compared to stock?

Camp
March 17th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I love my gear vendor overdrive, and am glad it came with the truck and I didn't buy it.
I have 4:10's, 35" tires, and at 80mph = 2000rpm, gotta love it.

Have fast does this truck feel compared to stock?

The tires I'm running are just slightly taller than 33's so, it will work out good with the 3.54's once I get them in. The truck has 4.10's right now.

It is a LOT faster than stock right now but, it also has a #100 plate pushed forward about 60% and a AFE stage II intake system on it. It runs pretty good but, it is nothing compared to what my 3rd gen was.

We had 500 gallons of oil on the flat bed the other night and there was no difference what so ever in the acceleration rate it got on the interstate with. It doesn't feel like a horsepower monster but, it does feel like it is a torque monster. I'll be interested to put it on the dyno once we get the cam in and play with the plate position a little.

Camp
March 22nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
So far, no data to prove any changes in fuel economy by the current mods. One tank was 15.6 mpg and the next was 14.8 mpg. Both of those are on B20 and both had a fair amount of idling with the exhaust brake on to warm up so, tough to tell if it did much because that is the range the truck usually falls in during the colder times. I think the best I've seen out of the truck since buying it was 16.2 and who knows if that was because of the amount the tank got topped off or not since it is all so close. It is all hand calculated.

Camp
April 26th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Well, we finally got the truck put back together with the new cam in it. So far, I'm not pleased with the results. The truck is a rocket now but, I wasn't trying to build a race truck. The boost spikes like nothing I've ever seen and the EGT's are quick to follow. I'm going to try to back the fuel plate off this week and see if it settles it down some. If I had more turbo, this might be a great set up but, I was looking for cooler EGT's, better economy and nothing more. I hope that backing the fuel plate off a little will bring my EGT's back into check and settle down the fact that I am way overdriving the hybrid turbo right now. I'm really not interested in playing with a bunch of turbo's to find the one that works right on the truck :(

74BuckinBronc
April 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Still following your build. Hope you can find a way to get what you want.

J.D.

Camp
April 29th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Well, throttle response is off the charts on this thing right now and heat is manageable driving around town. Boost comes up so quick that it is obviously overdriving the turbo right now. At low rpm (1500 rpm), a quick blip of the pedal puts the turbo almost immediately at the waste gate opening (34 lbs). As long as I can find time this weekend, it is going to get the #100 plate pulled back just a little bit to see what it does.

At constant rpm it seems to run a little cooler than it was with a little more boost. Maybe 2 lbs of additional boost at interstate speed with a reduction in EGT's of about 50 or so degrees. I think the gains would have been bigger if I didn't already port the head. There is no doubt I could drive a much bigger turbo with this set up but, I don't want to buy a bigger turbo because it takes more fuel to spin it and I'm looking for a little better economy. Backing the plate off should help with economy a bit. I'm going to run a tank through at the current plate setting before we adjust it, just to see what strictly the cam did for economy before we dial the truck in again.

Jason Starnes
April 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Im glad its done....

It wouldn't have been a bad job if I had all the time to dedicate to it......but an hour here, an hour there....got old.