PDA

View Full Version : Armdrop

PovertyByJeep
August 31st, 2009, 08:32 AM
So I went to Armdrop on Saturday.

Let me preface by saying I saw some INCREDIBLE cars. These are the types of cars that impress me- the ones put together in someone's spare time on earned money. For some reason, a genuine 11 or 12 second car, put together in someone's garage, has always impressed me.

BUT- what the heck are people doing at an event like armdrop that don't know how to heat their tires, can't stage their car (I saw no less than 3 cars roll completely through the beams), can't launch their car, and have NO CLUE how fast it runs? Let me remind you that I was there on Saturday, so everyone should have had at least 2 qualifying passes on Friday (read: experience).

Anyway, I had a great time- My cousin made the show and went a few rounds; and a Fanny Falcon Wagon won the main cash jackpot. The Falcon had a crappy paint job, and a tunnel ram with the carbs sticking out of a hole chopped in the hood. Lovin' it!

svoman2300
August 31st, 2009, 09:40 AM
I was there also. Let me say I think drag racing is utterly boring and can't stand Rich Christensen on the show. However in person it was quite exciting. He brings a level of enthusiasm you don't get from the track announcers and the hot lapping was cool as heck.
I think there were some newbies there and I think there was a little confusion as to if they were to watch the staging lights or just Rich. My buddy Marc, username Beanman here a few years back, was there with his 4cyl. turbo Mustang SVO that he built in his garage that ran a 10.66 but didn't make the cut.
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs184.snc1/6128_1186714943773_1105286974_603234_5886104_n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/svoman2300/PIC-0113.jpg

PovertyByJeep
August 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM
I think that Bandimere could take some pointers from the Pinks/armdrop bunch. The hot lapping is totally where it's at from a fan perspective. As a fan, you can see the ladder shrink- the cars come right back and stage to run again. Keeps the focus, and intensity up.

Some of the drama and the "Rich" factor are overdone. Personally, I think Willie B outta MC all the Bandimere events. He brings fun back to racing. I also really liked the "Beat Willie B" class- it was pretty cool to watch.

I think your second picture is the final for $4000- 12 seconds later the wagon driver was $4000 richer!

Drag racing is similar to rock crawling comps- a bunch of the fans are or were racers. That brings a level of respect of what it really takes to build a 10 second car, etc. Like in rock crawling we know what it takes to build a good rig- it ain't just "putting on bigger tires".

svoman2300
August 31st, 2009, 02:36 PM
The wagon won $2500. The Chevy II in the other group won the $4000.