PDA

View Full Version : Gov Ritter New Tax/Fee on Gun Purchases.

Loki
August 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Denverpost.com (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13147788?source=bb)

In the quest to close Colorado's budget gap, Gov. Bill Ritter today is expected to unveil a number of deep cuts and cost-saving measures, including one that would charge gun buyers a fee for state-run background checks.

The background-check fee is a $500,000 drop in a nearly $400 million bucket, but it's sure to spark protest from pro-gun advocates who opposed the $15 fee when it was proposed earlier this year.

From RMGO...

Though this idea has been rejected by both Republican and Democrat controlled legislatures, Ritter now claims it will bring $500 million to state coffers.

"The Governor's office is using estimates for firearms purchases based on recent purchase numbers, and it highly inflates the number," said the Dudley Brown, the Executive Director of the largest pro-gun organization in Colorado, Rocky Mountain Gun Owners. Since the election of Barack Obama the number of firearms sales have skyrocketed across the nation.

"But even with a smaller number, he's forcing citizens who practice a constitutionally protected right to pay a tax first, much like the old Jim Crow laws," said Brown. "We don't believe gun owners should have to ask permission to buy a firearm in the first place, and we're now supposed to pay for their gun control?"

Colorado uses a "Baby Brady" Registration system system to check purchasers' backgrounds. This puts gun owners in double jeopardy, since they must go through the FBI check as well as that of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. If Colorado's Brady Act was repealed, the FBI would conduct Brady Registration Checks, which wouldn't cost Colorado citizens and would shorten the wait time to 30 seconds -- as opposed to CBI checks, which often take hours.

"Now, Governor Ritter wants to put a tax on that registration as well. He might just as well repeal our State Constitution's protections," said Brown, "since they don't seem to matter to him."

Colorado's Brady Act was passed in 2000 under a Republican-controlled legislature and Governor.

Click to sign petition against this new tax. (http://www.rmgo.org/petitions/ritterguntax.html)

SMiTTY
August 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Posted this in General Chit Chat as well....Get involved and sign the petition.

Colorado Governor Bill Ritter today proposed a $10 per purchase tax on gun owners to pay for Brady Registration Checks.

http://www.rmgo.org/images/rmgo_ritterguntax.gif (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102674568106&s=9746&e=001d1VY8KlRw4KHR_Nw1Cch165ZjlVfvxSckT1IAGakAfZtPZArLnbx79MtdRrRe2d9y2nYh7U85ufV9ulseEtZfdsOBxuWkG7 jPFh36GNixWoUlfDmTrErsHmTYVb3LKZgJUhmFin0hdYtjT1u_qB1Vw==)

Click here to sign our Petition against Ritter's Gun Tax! (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102674568106&s=9746&e=001d1VY8KlRw4KHR_Nw1Cch165ZjlVfvxSckT1IAGakAfZtPZArLnbx79MtdRrRe2d9y2nYh7U85ufV9ulseEtZfdsOBxuWkG7 jPFh36GNixWoUlfDmTrErsHmTYVb3LKZgJUhmFin0hdYtjT1u_qB1Vw==)

Though this idea has been rejected by both Republican and Democrat controlled legislatures, Ritter now claims it will bring $500 million to state coffers.

"The Governor's office is using estimates for firearms purchases based on recent purchase numbers, and it highly inflates the number," said the Dudley Brown, the Executive Director of the largest pro-gun organization in Colorado, Rocky Mountain Gun Owners. Since the election of Barack Obama the number of firearms sales have skyrocketed across the nation.

"But even with a smaller number, he's forcing citizens who practice a constitutionally protected right to pay a tax first, much like the old Jim Crow laws," said Brown. "We don't believe gun owners should have to ask permission to buy a firearm in the first place, and we're now supposed to pay for their gun control?"

Colorado uses a "Baby Brady" Registration system system to check purchasers' backgrounds. This puts gun owners in double jeopardy, since they must go through the FBI check as well as that of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. If Colorado's Brady Act was repealed, the FBI would conduct Brady Registration Checks, which wouldn't cost Colorado citizens and would shorten the wait time to 30 seconds -- as opposed to CBI checks, which often take hours.

"Now, Governor Ritter wants to put a tax on that registration as well. He might just as well repeal our State Constitution's protections," said Brown, "since they don't seem to matter to him."

Colorado's Brady Act was passed in 2000 under a Republican-controlled legislature and Governor.

Click here to sign our Petition against Ritter's Gun Tax! (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102674568106&s=9746&e=001d1VY8KlRw4KHR_Nw1Cch165ZjlVfvxSckT1IAGakAfZtPZArLnbx79MtdRrRe2d9y2nYh7U85ufV9ulseEtZfdsOBxuWkG7 jPFh36GNixWoUlfDmTrErsHmTYVb3LKZgJUhmFin0hdYtjT1u_qB1Vw==)

Loki
August 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
It will probably get read more over there anyway.

_CJ
August 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Yet another reason to support RMGO. Dudley is on top of it. :thumbsup:

Where's the NRA on this? Wouldn't be surprised if they're with Ritter. :rolleyes:

Jake_Blues
August 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Is there a reason for the double check? Is there something in the Colorado database that isn't in the FBI database? I have to say, if the Colorado check is catching something important like domestic violence offenders or something, I'm in favor of it and wouldn't mind paying for it. The less guns get into the hands of douchebags, the better.

If this is just so Colorado can track gun purchases as well as the Feds can, then :flipoff:

-E

_CJ
August 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Is there a reason for the double check? Is there something in the Colorado database that isn't in the FBI database? I have to say, if the Colorado check is catching something important like domestic violence offenders or something, I'm in favor of it and wouldn't mind paying for it. The less guns get into the hands of douchebags, the better.

If this is just so Colorado can track gun purchases as well as the Feds can, then :flipoff:

-E

Background checks don't keep guns out of the hands of domestic violence offenders, or drug dealers, or murderers, or anyone else. :rolleyes:

Jake_Blues
August 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM
Background checks don't keep guns out of the hands of domestic violence offenders, or drug dealers, or murderers, or anyone else. :rolleyes:

While I agree with this sentiment, I also think that saying "well, we can't stop them from getting guns illegally so we might as well let them buy guns anyplace they want to" isn't terribly bright either.

-E

_CJ
August 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM
While I agree with this sentiment, I also think that saying "well, we can't stop them from getting guns illegally so we might as well let them buy guns anyplace they want to" isn't terribly bright either.

-E

Even less intelligent.......Criminals buy and sell guns without any regulation, so let's discourage law abiding citizens from defending themselves by making it a hassle for them. :rolleyes:

How many of us have limited our collection because of the red tape? I know the only thing stopping me from having a short barrel shotgun is the hassle involved in doing it legally.

The facts are that if a homicidal maniac wants to kill his or her domestic partner, they're going to do it. Gun, knife or bare hands. Why not make it easier for the would-be victims to defend themselves?

IH8PVMNT
August 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
I have to agree with _CJ. The only reason I don't own a short barrel AR is the hassel/red tape that goes with it.

potter
August 21st, 2009, 12:22 PM
I have to agree with _CJ. The only reason I don't own a short barrel AR is the hassel/red tape that goes with it.

If getting one illegally is so hassle free, why not go get one illegally?

Scott@Rockstomper
August 21st, 2009, 01:13 PM
If getting one illegally is so hassle free, why not go get one illegally?

Some of us aren't interested in immediate gratification that carries with it the risk of felony conviction.

potter
August 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Some of us aren't interested in immediate gratification that carries with it the risk of felony conviction.

It was a rhetorical statement.

Pilot
August 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
I hear this guy is behind it.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20090820/i/r690404685.jpg?x=400&y=294&q=85&sig=JB73cgzIqTPc4KjK.XYrKA--

"Oh hell yeah I'll tax/ban/take all your guns!."

:D

_CJ
August 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
I hear this guy is behind it.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20090820/i/r690404685.jpg?x=400&y=294&q=85&sig=JB73cgzIqTPc4KjK.XYrKA--

"Oh hell yeah I'll tax/ban/take all your guns!."

:D

:lmao: that's some funny sheat right there!

IH8PVMNT
August 24th, 2009, 11:11 AM

That and I happen to believe felony conviction should result in loss of rights and I happen to enjoy my second amendment rights.

But should I not its not that hard to go and get a gun illegally in fact its pretty easy and the prices are better.

Brutus
August 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
My question is this... how will it effect CCW permit holders? We already paid for a CBI background check and it was quite a bit more than $10!

Can the government honestly tell us that part of the budget shortfall is because they have overallocated resources to do background checks on gun purchases? Our gobmnt = RIDICULOUS!

DADA_JEEP
August 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM
when i moved here i was kinda amazed that there wasn't a fee for gun purchase background checks, i was of the impression that it's the norm in most other states.

Loki
August 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM
when i moved here i was kinda amazed that there wasn't a fee for gun purchase background checks, i was of the impression that it's the norm in most other states.

See what happens when liberals finally get into power. :shrug:

DADA_JEEP
August 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
finally?

Loki
August 24th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Not that I was looking forward to it, but im sure they were so they could screw up this state too... :flipoff2: