PDA

View Full Version : .22 shot in a semi auto?

Getsome
August 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM
The other day I picked up some .22 shot to round out my ammo and on the way home I was thinking about if this was going to cycle in my Pappos and honestly I don't know. The only time I've used .22 shot was with a pistol.

Am I just being paranoid or is this something that can't be done with auto's?

van7559
August 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I will never shoot shot that shit is murder on a .22 barrel

Jeffro600
August 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I will never shoot shot that shit is murder on a .22 barrel

Sorry but that is completely untrue...

Lead shot will not harm a steel barrel...at least, not in any amount of shooting that the majority of us would do in a lifetime.

With that said, shooting shot out of a 22 is about the equivalent of throwing a hand full of sand at your target...the shot is so small and the pattern breaks up so quickly that it wont do much, if any damage past a couple feet. It might cycle, it might not...my money is on it not though, mostly due to the plastic capsule they use to contain the shot. They are suited more for revolvers than anything.

970TJ
August 9th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Sorry but that is completely untrue...

Lead shot will not harm a steel barrel...at least, not in any amount of shooting that the majority of us would do in a lifetime.

With that said, shooting shot out of a 22 is about the equivalent of throwing a hand full of sand at your target...the shot is so small and the pattern breaks up so quickly that it wont do much, if any damage past a couple feet. It might cycle, it might not...my money is on it not though, mostly due to the plastic capsule they use to contain the shot. They are suited more for revolvers than anything.

x2 probably won't cycle

van7559
August 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
check out rimfirecentral.com. see what the say about it

Jeffro600
August 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM
check out rimfirecentral.com. see what the say about it

Im a long standing member over there too...and only the uneducated say that it does damage.

It doesnt...lead is MUCH MUCH softer than steel. The shot has less contact with the bore than a regular bullet does and if anything, does less damage. You might get some leading with alot of rounds but thats another issue all together...