PDA

View Full Version : CB antenna Grounding

CYAN5DE
July 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Can I take my firestik antenna's from my old truck, mount them on some metal poles I jam into the ground, and run them?

I think this would be grounded well, But want to make sure I am not completely retarded.....

would be powered by a Cobra 29LTD, running off 13.8 VDC from a 110VAC -> 12VDC step-down.....

Anything else I need to think of before I blow up my old CB? Don't feel like springing for new antenner's

CLYDE
July 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
long as the mount to the pole is grounded to it, even better if you drive in a grounding rod and run a piece of copper up to it. How tall of a pole are you going to use??
A base antenna isnt that much money. Can find antron 99s and big sticks for around 100$ They will way outperform any mobile antenna...

CYAN5DE
July 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I will probably upgrade at some point, but for right now this is just as much a tinkering project as it is a long-term solution...

I was thinking 10ft or 5ft... IE 2x 10ft pipes, or 1x 10ft pipe cut in half to save some dollars...

For 100 bucks it might be worth it to skip the tinkering though.....

CLYDE
July 27th, 2009, 07:08 PM
a good antenna makes up a lot of ground for a crap radio, I have run mobiles as base radios many times, and the right antenna makes all the difference. Mobile antennas just dont work very well for what you are doing..

CYAN5DE
July 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I hear ya. I am not trying to run skip (initially) or anything. This is more about getting more practice with SWR, antenna tuning, what type of interference I will get with multiple antenna's in the yard, etc..

vertical, horizontal, dipole with multiple antenna's.. Turning my backyard into a proving ground for theory. cheaply, and without any of the cool tools that would actually provide me real feedback.

Basically putting myself ahead of the game. and I am a computer geek at heart that really likes to blow crap up and shoot at stuff.

(I am going to army school for geeky radio stuff)

Mudbug63
July 29th, 2009, 12:44 PM
The ideal option would be a true base antenna that being said a really good option is a true Dipole made out of two IDENTICAL antennas.

You use a normal truck mirror bracket mount and antenna then drill a extra hole in the bracket as close as you can to the center to mount a second antenna WITHOUT the insulating washers.

This second antenna replaces the need for antenna grounding totally. Don't confuse this with a safety ground that is needed when running high power

Here is a link to a picture of a finished mount... The picture shows it mounted horizontally but you could mount it vertically as well. http://www.neighborhoodlink.com/public/clubextraPhoto.html?nid=772773867&nclubid=280948772&nsupercity=839516939

You need to mount this on a non conductive pole....Wood or fiberglass if mounting vertically to avoid it messing with the antenna tuning.

Speaking of tuning you will need a SWR meter and you will tune BOTH antennas moving the stingers equal amounts each time.

The added "grounded" antenna gives the live antenna something to push off of for lack of a better term.

Mudbug63
July 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Oh and to the question of proper ground.

Minimum of a 8ft copper ground rod sunk completely to even think about getting good ground in this dry sandy soil out here, I run 3 8 footers soldered together with #4 wire about 2 foot apart....if you have soil that stays moist and is what most folks consider fertile , black and rich, you might get away with a 4 foot rod running low power.

If you run more then a few watts you will want a 8 footer if not several 8 footers. RF burns hurt and if you fire up a 500 watt linear without a good ground your gonna hurt yourself.