PDA

View Full Version : Sig P228

csutke
July 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
My dad looking at a P228 with 3 mags and a IWB holster with less than a box of rounds through it for $750. This would be a FTF deal and im sure that he would loose it on the deap seas. Does this sound like a good deal? Ive checked on gunbroker and the price seams to be comprobable with a new one. Also any pros/cons with this handgun?

TIA

DADA_JEEP
July 23rd, 2009, 12:11 AM
sig firearms rock, i have yet to hear someone really complain about one, usually pretty pricey tho.

RebelRescuer
July 23rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
I have a 40 cal Sig and love it. Its a good solid gun and I've never had it jam or act funky. Its very quick and easy to clean.

About four years ago, I paid $800 for it brand new, with two mags.

Scott@Rockstomper
July 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Sigs normally come with two mags and no holster, so the seller is tossing in an extra mag (usually $30-40 each) and a holster (which may or may not be worth anything at all to the buyer) to make up for the slightly-used condition, sounds like.

Worth it depends on what your dad wants. I like Sigs, but I hate the double-action-only trigger setup that some of them are coming with now. First round trigger pull is loooooong and heavy. Acceptable for a first pull on a DA/SA carry gun, but takes a lot of getting used to. It's as much a personal preference there as anything, some folks like it.

As for complaints, about the only ones I've heard or had are prices (they're on par with H&K) and preference things, like that certain grips don't fit certain hands well (so don't buy one that doesn't fit you, 'cause there's undoubtedly a different model that does) or the trigger pull thing that I noted (most models can be had with DA/SA or DAO).

IoN6
July 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM
That is a little pricey, even with an extra mag and holster. I paid $440 for mine with three 13 and two 10 round mags, then had it refinished so have a bit more than that in it now... Are the mags 13 round zipper backs? The 10 rounders are only worth $10-12/ea and if they are the good 13 rounders maybe $25-35/ea. If it is has only had a single box of ammo through it then it might be worth that much. But IMO there are better deals to be had.

Also AFAIK the P228 has always been DA/SA...

Teaser pic to make sure you actually get one, even if it isn't this one :D

http://john.coloradoarena.com/P228_8.jpg

Pilot
July 27th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Its amazing what these guns are bringing these days. I have a P228, but it sits in the safe. Fine gun, does what its supposed to do, I just like my CZ-75D PCR better. Its slightly smaller and slimmer and has about the same capacity of 9MM, 14 + 1.

970TJ
July 27th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I also like Sig firearms....except for the P230 .380. I had one given to me that had probably 20 round through it. I was going to give it to the wife to carry but every action on the gun required two hands. No mag release, you had to physically remove the mag from the mag well, no slide release, the slide held open after the last shot of a mag but you had to pull the slide back for it to release. Imagine getting into a serious situation were you had to do a quick reload. Even with a lot of practice you would be screwed....too many movements.

Jeffro600
July 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I really liked my Sig and kick myself in the ass for getting rid of it...only complaint about it was the LONNNGGG trigger reset...but it was stupid accurate!

Dunedain313
July 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I carry a 229 for work every day. Solid gun.

Here are the issues I've had with it.

Didn't like the stock grips. Replaced them and now I really like the feel of it.

Trigger squeeze on the first shot is long. Took some getting used to, but now I hardly notice.

Had a few FTE incidents with some cheap ammo. No issues when using quality ammo.

I'd say if he likes the feel of it, go for it.

Sigs are nice. If it's good enough for the Secret Service...

Loki
July 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Sigs are nice. If it's good enough for the Secret Service...

Maybe we could get them to switch to some nice, Kel Tec P-32s???

:D

sweater
July 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
One note about the 238 (http://www.sigsauer.com/customerservice/p238upgrade.aspx) (not the 228, but if you own one):

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238™ pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally, thus creating a risk of injury or death.

There have been no reports of any injuries or mishaps; however, in accordance with SIG SAUER, Inc.’s commitment to provide customers with the highest quality products and services, we are issuing a P238 Mandatory Safety Upgrade, to return the identified product to factory specifications. Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to its introduction. SIG SAUER will return the firearm, pre-paid, to the owner as quickly as possible.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your immediate cooperation in the return of your P238 handgun.