PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks pics

SBIUnlimited
July 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
So there was a thread for tips.....how 'bout one for pics? Cropped too tight??

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/SBI%20Keepers/DSC_3727.jpg

Jeffro600
July 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Maybe a little...but hard to say without seeing the original.

And you should put forth a little creative efforts with the dodge\burn tool to help bring back some of the blown out areas.

SBIUnlimited
July 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
No Dodge and Burn tool in my software....

~tc~
July 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Way better than anything I got.

I kinda disagree with Jeffro - IMHO, one of the things about fireworks is they are retina burning bright.

Personally, I would crop the buildings out of the bottom

SBIUnlimited
July 7th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I cropped a lot of the buildings out in this version. About as far as I can go and still get the 'works.
Jeffro.....Aperture2 for the Mac. Not as many tools as PS. When the money trail allows, will maybe upgrade to PS or find a plug in for what I got. It does have a Clone tool which takes some practice, but is very effective.

ColoradoSkier
July 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM
You could probably run GIMP on the Mac...

PhantomD AKA Zach
July 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
in my opinion foreground is crucial to fireworks pics... gives them a sense of size.

-Zach

CYAN5DE
July 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
to the untrained eye (mine) I think it looks pretty cool.

Hayes
July 7th, 2009, 07:09 PM

I am by no means 'trained', but I look at a lot of pictures:flipoff2:. I really like this picture, it captures the greatness and the vivid(ness) of the firework. Nice work

Personally, I would crop the buildings out of the bottom

in my opinion foreground is crucial to fireworks pics... gives them a sense of size.

-Zach

I agree with Zach on this one. Without the buildings, I think the awesomeness would be lost.

To the OP, can we see the original? If you don't want in really public, would you mind sending it in a PM. I just would like to see how you edited from the original.

SBIUnlimited
July 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Here is the original. I didn't really do any edits to it at all except tighten the crop a bit. No color correction, exposure correction or anything, just a crop to clean up the buildings a bit from the bottom.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp265/SteveBartonImages/SBI%20Keepers/DSC_3727-1.jpg

Hayes
July 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
That's a good crop. The original leaves too much distraction in the picture. The people at the bottom throw off the picture.

I like your edit.

SBIUnlimited
July 8th, 2009, 09:53 AM
You could probably run GIMP on the Mac...

I have GIMP on my old PC.....running it on the Mac is a little "less clean" than on a PC. I am actually using GIMP to create watermarks.......

SBIUnlimited
July 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Way better than anything I got.

That's a good crop. The original leaves too much distraction in the picture. The people at the bottom throw off the picture.

I like your edit.

Thanks