PDA

View Full Version : Front fork Q's

Ghettojeep
July 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
So my new to me Suzuki GS500e has a front fork issue. I can compress them about 3 or 4 inches just rocking it.

I'm guessing they need a rebuild, the seals are dried out, there is no sign of oil leaking, so I'm not even sure there is oil in there. Right now I wouldn't even ride the bike b/c of it's front end dive. So what is most likely going on here? Are they simply blown out, when I open them up will they just be dry of oil? Could I just add oil and ride?

If not, should I rebuild them and switch springs at the same time to say a progressive spring? I've heard the bike stock is mushy in the front end. Not something I'm down with.

And would anybody who has rebuilt forks down to help me out with it a little bit? I've worked on bikes before, but this will be my 1st fork rebuild. If I go progressive, I'm going to need to set the preload, sag, etc w/ a spacer, so I'd rather have someone who has set up suspensions help me out with it, so it can be in tip top shape.

TIA Steveo

jrvyota
August 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Sounds like they are out of oil. It is not really hard to rebuild forks, If you can get a hold of a clymer manual it should show you how to do it. You could open them up and add oil but then it would prolly leak all over the front end and cause even more problems. The first fork will take you about an hour to rebuild and the second one will be about 15 min. If you need help I may be able to lend a hand.

Ghettojeep
August 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks man, but I ended up just flipping the bike for a nice little profit.