PDA

View Full Version : HAM operators?

PhantomD AKA Zach
July 1st, 2009, 12:11 AM
I guess this fits in this section "making tesla proud"

Anyways, I was recently introduced to HAM and am interested. My friend had a Yaesu 8800R and I am interested in the Yaesu 7900R... looks like it would be incredibly handy 4-wheeling and camping and the like.

who else has their license?

-Zach

CYAN5DE
July 1st, 2009, 06:30 AM
KJ4ITS

I have a yaesu VX-6r RT right now..

been thinking about putting a mobile in the jeep one of these days....

Not too many people on the nets to talk to, but would be a handy wheeling / safety tool if you carried a good field expedient antenna and was in a club that had an auto-patch repeater.

EDIT: also, if you get a yaesu RT, you can do a "freeband" mod, and I can now talk on FRS and GMRS frequencies, which really enhances the whole camping / wheeling thing you were talking about. I can monitor CB, but not transmit on those frequencies.

Dotcom
July 1st, 2009, 07:14 AM
KD0ASM

ham is fun i used mine in the jeep and now it is going into the big truck.

Hayes
July 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM
I'd like to get into it.

PhantomD AKA Zach
July 1st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I'd like to get into it.

for like $300 you can apparently get a Yeasu 7800R and antenna from Ham Radio Outlet. which is located in denver and has good prices...

getting the license is as simple as a 36 question multiple choice test and you only need like 16 correct. there are a lot of tests that happen locally and are run by local clubs here is a link
http://www.arrl.org/exam.html?State=CO

I am still learning and only have been exposed to the HAM radio 3 days ago...

-ZAch

ToyRunner1
July 2nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
I've had my license for over 10 years. I have a Kenwood TM-G707a dual bander that I can move between the Runner or the XJ, as well as a Yaesu VX-1R HT. I have a couple of old Kenwood 2 meter HTs as well, but don't use them much anymore.

CYAN5DE
July 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
I'd like to get into it.

Test is easy. I studied about 1-2 hours a day for a week, aced the "beginner" (Technician) test, and missed the general by 1-2 questions....

All the study materials are available online, search and you will find another HAM thread on here somewhere I posted the links in.

PhantomD AKA Zach
July 6th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I have been studying quite a bit online and wow! it's quite complicated... I would have never wanted to get into it if I had to learn CW. I have been consistently passing the practice exams and there is a test location relatively close to me the first thursday of every month so looks like I will try for that.

-Zach

CYAN5DE
July 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Most of the complicated stuff in my opinion was for general and am extra..

most of the tech questions are about general safety and politeness on the radio.

you might need to be able to turn a frequency into a band, like 144Mghz being on 2m, simple stuff like that...

divide by 300.....simple math

maybe some of the filters and stuff, but not too much....

And most of all, Good Luck, and just go do it.....I waited 3 years before I finally bothered to do it... waste of time.

Mudbug63
July 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM
KC0TPL Here.....

Tech is a breeze...General took me a while....

I have a old Radio Shack 2M rig that's yours when you show me your tech ticket :) I think I have a antenna also.

I currently have the following:
Yaesu 857D 70Cm/2M/HF in the truck with a ATAS 120 HF antenna.
Icom V-8000 2M
Icom V-82 2 M Hand Held

I recently sold my Yaesu FT950 base unit....sweet rig...wish I had it back :(

ToyRunner1
July 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I have a old Radio Shack 2M rig that's yours when you show me your tech ticket :) I think I have a antenna also.If that is the HTX-202 that is one heck of a radio. I actually wish I'd been able to pick one up before they discontinued them, but I couldn't justify one of those and a dual band HT :(

PhantomD AKA Zach
July 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM
KC0TPL Here.....

Tech is a breeze...General took me a while....

I have a old Radio Shack 2M rig that's yours when you show me your tech ticket :) I think I have a antenna also.

WOW! that would be AWESOME! I was planning on taking the test on the 6th of august but that is too far away. I might try for the 11th or the 15th of july.

I know from owning a CB that tuning the antenna is crucial to a good reliable radio but I cant seem to get much info about that for HAM frequencies. all I can find are expensive watt meters. what is a reliable cheap method to tune a 2m antenna?

-Zach

CYAN5DE
July 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
you really need a meter AFAIK....

and they can be spendy. you can use pre-tuned antenna's, but that also is kind of a myth.

I am waiting, have to bite the bullet on a meter soon because I build my own antenna's.

I have read in quite a few places you can take a CB SWR meter, wire it in normal, place load, and then wire it in backwards and it will be accurate. I am not so sure I believe that one, but it is all over the internet as a cheap bypass to a solid multi-band meter.

EDIT: that is also supposed to work only on 2m, and I need one to do 63/70cm as well.....

Mudbug63
July 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
WOW! that would be AWESOME! I was planning on taking the test on the 6th of august but that is too far away. I might try for the 11th or the 15th of july.

I know from owning a CB that tuning the antenna is crucial to a good reliable radio but I cant seem to get much info about that for HAM frequencies. all I can find are expensive watt meters. what is a reliable cheap method to tune a 2m antenna?

-Zach

I have a 2M SWR meter that we can use if needed. I am pretty sure you will need to buy a NMO style mount and coax for the antenna however. The tuning process is the same regardless of what freq range you are working with.

Mudbug63
July 6th, 2009, 03:03 PM
you really need a meter AFAIK....

I am waiting, have to bite the bullet on a meter soon because I build my own antenna's.

I

Go ahead and pick up a true antenna analyzer like a MFJ 259B(?) I think that's the right model. Makes the tuning of any antenna a breeze and can be used to pre-tune your antenna tuner so you are in the ball park when you power it up with your rig....

They are a bit pricey but if your building your own HF wire antennas or tuning a pre-built they make life so much easier. They will not only tell you the SWR but will tell the Freq the antenna is now resonate at so you know which way and how far you need to go. The will also test Coax so you know if you have a bad piece and will even give you the distance to the short so you can splice it. The also measure inductance and resistance so you can properly match a tuner to a antenna.

Mudbug63
July 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
If that is the HTX-202 that is one heck of a radio. I actually wish I'd been able to pick one up before they discontinued them, but I couldn't justify one of those and a dual band HT :(

I cant remember if its a 242 or a 212 but yes they are pretty tough radios....The only thing that is kinda cheesy is the mic. The 202 was a HT.

I even found the manual for it the other day when I was cleaning the garage.

ToyRunner1
July 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
The 202 was a HT.Yep, and a fairly bullet proof HT at that. I always wanted to pick one up for hiking, but got the VX-1R instead.

Is the one that you have a mobile? I wasn't familiar with the Radio Shack mobiles at all. I've been looking at getting either an 8800 or an 8900. Not sure if I want to change the antenna and go tri-band with the 89, but I would like dual VFO. The TM-G707a is dual band single VFO.

Wildland
July 6th, 2009, 05:17 PM
KD0EHB here

Had the Technician Lic. for about a year now, I agree with others Tech. was a breeze, studying for General now much harder.

I have a Yeasu VX-5 HT, and a Yeasu FT8900 in the Jeep.

ni0h
July 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM
That's a lot of rig for what you're talking about doing. A dual-band rig might be more to your liking(and easier on your wallet). Though - if this cycle ever turns around - or more likely, next cycle - it's a lot of fun to go world-wide on FM.

PhantomD AKA Zach
July 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM
well looks like I cant make the saturday test and the one on the 15th would require me to change a shift at work... the next available test is the 6th of august! I will look into switching my shifts...

I have been acing the practice exams and have yet to see a question that really surprises me.

-Zach

CYAN5DE
July 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM
well looks like I cant make the saturday test and the one on the 15th would require me to change a shift at work... the next available test is the 6th of august! I will look into switching my shifts...

I have been acing the practice exams and have yet to see a question that really surprises me.

-Zach

good deal Zach......

if you have to wait till august 6th, I would recommend studying for your general while you are at it....

Not sure about if it is every club, but where I took my test, if you passed tech, you could take the general for free.. I ended up missing it by 2-3 questions. wish I had studied for it first.

Mudbug63
July 7th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Yep, and a fairly bullet proof HT at that. I always wanted to pick one up for hiking, but got the VX-1R instead.

Is the one that you have a mobile? I wasn't familiar with the Radio Shack mobiles at all. I've been looking at getting either an 8800 or an 8900. Not sure if I want to change the antenna and go tri-band with the 89, but I would like dual VFO. The TM-G707a is dual band single VFO.

Yep they are small 10W/45W mobiles....great for repeater/simplex use...Wont work with digi modes....

The 212 and 242 are basically the same unit...they moved a couple of button is all I can tell. http://www.rigpix.com/rs-realistic/radioshack_htx212.htm

Mudbug63
July 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
good deal Zach......

Not sure about if it is every club, but where I took my test, if you passed tech, you could take the general for free.. I ended up missing it by 2-3 questions. wish I had studied for it first.

Every time I have sat for a test it has been test till you fail for one price....Most are not out to make money just cover expenses.

ni0h
July 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
If there're a couple who want to take the test on any given weekend, I can probably round up a couple more VEs.

Rough Ranger
July 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
That will be cool when you get your Tech or General license.

You'll have to check out my VX-6R next time you're over.

PhantomD AKA Zach
July 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
That will be cool when you get your Tech or General license.

well I will be over there on thursday! I am taking my test on the 6th so we will see... I am going to study the general questions since I already know all the tech questions... I will study them all before the test though!

-Zach

mud rat jr
July 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
well I took my technician and general test today in bailey,passed the technician, the general not so much.
I did this in part because of this thread,looking forward to getting a radio,I'll add my call sign when they issue it.good luck to those who take the tests!

CYAN5DE
July 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM

pretty good little radio. I love mine.... wired it into some better home made antenna's and I can push good... still works great on the rubber duck when I am camping or mobile.

Have you free-banded it?

I need to get a base station or something though, maybe a mobile that I can run in the house as well....

Good radio's don't come cheap though...

Mudbug63
July 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM
well I took my technician and general test today in bailey,passed the technician, the general not so much.
I did this in part because of this thread,looking forward to getting a radio,I'll add my call sign when they issue it.good luck to those who take the tests!

Congrats on getting your ticket...They did tell you to check the FCC website for your call didn't they? You don't have to have paper in hand to start using it.

Mudbug63
July 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
well I will be over there on thursday! I am taking my test on the 6th so we will see... I am going to study the general questions since I already know all the tech questions... I will study them all before the test though!

-Zach

Zach that radio offer is still on the table.....

Mudbug63
July 27th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Speaking of radios I have to say I am very impressed with the Yaesu FT857D and the ATAS 120 antenna combo I installed in the truck. I have the main unit mounted behind the back seat of the crew cab and the remote control head mounted on a RAM mount just below the factory AM/FM radio

We took a road trip the other day to OKC and back and I checked into the 20 meters County Hunter Net with net control K2JG on the coast of North Carolina (1500 miles+/-). I was in contact with him for the next 3 days as I ran the counties we crossed for the net. I worked stations all over the US on the trip with good signal reports on 100 watts from the mobile.

I am very impressed with the way radio and antenna worked together with the auto-tune feature. It was able to tune flat SWR across 20 and 40 meters. While the antenna would not auto-tune 80 meters reliably I was able to do so manually though with a very narrow bandwidth for SWR. Same is true for 12 and 17 even though it’s not supposed to be capable of those bands.

For a HF/2M/70cm all mode mobile setup, or a home rig for that matter, I think you could do a lot worse. Fully digital capable and works with all of the popular computer control software packages. I had this unit setup at home prior to installing it in the truck and it netted me several of JA’s running PSK-31 and RTTY via a Dipole at 35ft and about 40 watts.

If you can’t afford a big antenna or can’t run an amp I strongly encourage you to look into digital modes like RTTY and PSK-31….You simply can’t get more distance for the watt save perhaps CW.

Of course this is a teaser, a motivator if you will, for those of you that don’t yet have HF privileges. Keep studying and testing, IMHO the real fun starts below 50 Mhz. :D

County Hunter Net info it makes the WAS (Worked all States) award look like child's play http://www.countyhunter.com/index.htm

CYAN5DE
July 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
If I had 800 to drop on a transceiver, I might give it a shot...

since I don't I am still playing on e-bay and CL looking for a good mobile that I can use mobile and base...

Building a radio set-up right now for a few radio's I own....need a HAM to put in it. and a general class license to run it.

PhantomD AKA Zach
July 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
mudbug I plan on taking you up on that radio once I get my ticket...

I dont know if I will ever get the need to get on HF but it looks appealing!

-Zach

mud rat jr
July 31st, 2009, 09:47 PM
got my call today,KD0IMI and my first rig a yaesu 7900 now what?

BallTurretGunner
July 31st, 2009, 10:30 PM
X2 on the 857D and ATAS120 combo, I have one set up in my Dodge and it tunes very well on the fly. Much more fun than a Z11pro and whip. I keep a 2 meter mobile in the jeep and have used it with great success while wheeling. Saved my a$$ when I broke down while scouting for hunting season. BTG

CYAN5DE
July 31st, 2009, 11:09 PM
got my call today,KD0IMI and my first rig a yaesu 7900 now what?

find a local net, and listen to them a few nights until you feel comfortable calling into the the net operator.

then it just grows.

EDIT: oh, and congrats... KJ4ITS here....non-local

Rough Ranger
August 1st, 2009, 08:00 AM
pretty good little radio. I love mine.... wired it into some better home made antenna's and I can push good... still works great on the rubber duck when I am camping or mobile.

Have you free-banded it?

I need to get a base station or something though, maybe a mobile that I can run in the house as well....

Good radio's don't come cheap though...

Haven't free-banded it. Just programmed in local repeaters. Nice radio though. It compliments the 8800 in my truck well.

CYAN5DE
August 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
right on..

took me a minute and 15 trips through the manual to figure out the programming, and I still can't get it to work quite how I want....

Freeband was a nice deal, because most of my friends just use little two ways and stuff, and now I can talk (shhhh....) on GMRS and FRS

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
My test is on the 6th! I have been trying to study for the general test like a madman... hopefully I can squeak by... I will brush up on the technician questions before I test though!

-Zach

Mudbug63
August 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
My test is on the 6th! I have been trying to study for the general test like a madman... hopefully I can squeak by... I will brush up on the technician questions before I test though!

-Zach

Good luck!

mud rat jr
August 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
right on..

took me a minute and 15 trips through the manual to figure out the programming, and I still can't get it to work quite how I want....

Freeband was a nice deal, because most of my friends just use little two ways and stuff, and now I can talk (shhhh....) on GMRS and FRS

so school me on freeband,I am looking at the vx7r what is the advantage/disadvantage compared to the vx6r?
thanks for any info

Mudbug63
August 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
so school me on freeband,I am looking at the vx7r what is the advantage/disadvantage compared to the vx6r?
thanks for any info

[ Soapbox on ]

I will say this on the subject then shut up about it.

Freebanding and MARS mods are illegal if used to transmit, you can listen all you want just don't key a Mic. (MARS transmit is OK with the proper paperwork from Uncle Sam). Its a good way to get your ticket pulled if caught.

Yes, its done all the time...just like driving off a marked trail.

[Soapbox off ]

CYAN5DE
August 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I will be the first one to come out and say MB is correct. It is illegal.

Freebanding is a simple mod done to the radio, that allows you to monitor slightly more frequency range, and allows you to transmit on a few more bands.

You can transmit on GMRS/FRS frequencies after doing it. that is very convenient. and as MB correctly pointed out, technically illegal. Even though FRS is license-less, you can only transmit on it with a device that was designed to do it.

You also run the risk of destroying your radio while modding it if you screw up (it is an easy mod) Also, you need to know what you are doing. Once you have completed the mod, if you key the PTT button on certain freq's, the radio will turn off, and will not be able to turn it back on until after plugging it into AC power.

I will not give instructions, as I will not be responsible for any damages to your radio, or promote others breaking the law. If you are so inclined, they are available through the use of google.

mud rat jr
August 5th, 2009, 07:45 AM
thanks for the replys, the last thing I want to do is risk my new ticket.
back to the ht question,which one to get the vx6r or the vx7r?

CYAN5DE
August 5th, 2009, 08:06 AM
i would have to refresh my knowledge on the extra's on the 7r, I have the 6r and it is great...

let me go look up a chart quick

CYAN5DE
August 5th, 2009, 08:10 AM
ok, here goes....

the 7r had dual receivers, meaning you can monitor two different bands at one time, without scanning anything... has a nicer display, and will transmit on 6m

the 6r has a single receiver, but it will put out 1w on 1.25m instead of the .3w from the 7r.

7r claims to be "waterproof" while the 6r is "water-resistant" which I believe is 1m of water for 20 minutes or something..

Also: they are both tri-band radio's, with the 6r running 144/220/440 and the 7r running 50/144/440
I think I got the water thing wrong. 7r is 3ft for 30 minutes and the 6r is "resistant" IE drop in puddle, pick up and not ruined.

Mudbug63
August 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
You can transmit on GMRS/FRS frequencies after doing it. that is very convenient. and as MB correctly pointed out, technically illegal. Even though FRS is license-less, you can only transmit on it with a device that was designed to do it.

Since everyone took my previous post in the manner it was intended, simply as information, I will add to what was mentioned in CYAN5DE's reply. :thumbsup:

I think the biggest concern the FCC would have here would be the power output.

While Amateur HT's are not "Type accepted" (which is the part that makes it a no no )for GMRS/FRS. I think we can all agree the RF specs are tighter on a amateur radio than a $19.95 GMRS/FRS radio. So the quality of signal is not the problem, power is what I think will get your short and curlies in trouble.

Without looking it up I think the max power for FRS is 500mw and 5 watts for GMRS. Depending on the radio you could be well over the power limit. My mobile in the truck could be modded to allow FRS/GMRS operation but has a 20watt output in that band so it could transmit at 4 to 40 times the max allowed power depending on what section of the band I was in. You could effectively disrupt all FRS communication in a large area by simply over loading the front end of the receivers. You would not even have to be on the same frequency.

Power may or may not be an issue with a HT depending on its rated output and the amount of control the operator has over it, but still technically illegal.

I will also add this which I believe is one of the questions in the Tech pool.

To paraphrase.... All bets are off in a emergency and you may use any amount of power or operate on any needed frequency in order coordinate help during the emergency. I believe it also goes on to define emergency as a risk to life or property. So a modded radio for emergencies while in the woods might not be a bad idea.

Iím not passing judgment on anyone that mods a radio. Just be aware of what youíre doing and the implications.

CYAN5DE
August 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
MB I believe you are correct that the radiated power is the problem, and I do turn down my output to bottom low when I transmit on those freq's....

It's always good to balance the idea's with the 2nd and 3rd order effects.. thanks

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
wow... my thread has grown quite a bit! not that I mind at all...

as far as the current topic goes... IF i find a freeband mod for my radio I will do it SIMPLY because it would be helpful if I ever needed it, not because I intend to use it...

I recently read an article about a ham user calling a train that had a kid stuck on the engine/car/something... if he had not transmitted on the trains freq the kid may have been in for quite a ride... (aka possible injury)

and back to my topic... I passed the technician test tonight, missed the general by two questions and did not want to take it again because it was late..ish

hopefully in 10 days or so I will have a call sign!

mud rat jr
August 7th, 2009, 07:15 AM
very good phantomD. My call sign was on the fcc site 6 days after the test.
I can relate to the general test,much more difficult than the tech. test I am going to try again in september.

Mudbug63
August 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I passed the technician test tonight, missed the general by two questions and did not want to take it again because it was late..ish

hopefully in 10 days or so I will have a call sign!

Congrats...I will dig the radio out and test it. I will also look for a 2M/70cm antenna I have around garage some place.

You can watch QRZ as well they post the newly assigned calls daily....The FCC site is PITA.

http://www.qrz.com/new_hams.html

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Mudbug thank you!!!

CYAN5DE
August 8th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Good job brother.... Mine took about 12 days to show up I believe....

we might be able to talk sometime... (if we both pass gen and get some awesome radios)

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
now I need to find a way to tune my antenna... I think I will just go down to the "candy store" and buy a SWR/power meter...

-Zach

CYAN5DE
August 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM
yep I am going to pick one of those up soon myself....

have been looking at an antenna tuner / SWR meter instead

Mudbug63
August 9th, 2009, 01:11 PM
now I need to find a way to tune my antenna... I think I will just go down to the "candy store" and buy a SWR/power meter...

-Zach

I have a 2 meter SWR meter if you dont want to go out and buy one.

I did find the antenna...you will need to pick up a NMO Mount and coax if you want to use the antenna.

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I have a 2 meter SWR meter if you dont want to go out and buy one.

I did find the antenna...you will need to pick up a NMO Mount and coax if you want to use the antenna.

NO problem! if there is anything I can do for you let me know. I am quite happy to have a second setup. one for the car and another for the rig...

it would be awesome if you could help me tune my antenna, I will bring it all down when I pick up the radio and second antenna.

-Zach

bigun
August 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Congrats on getting your ticket. I have had mine since 1990 although I haven't picked up a radio since my father (KC5KCM) died in 96. KB0HXA

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 11th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Mudbug HOOKED ME UP!

I stopped by HRO and picked up a NMO magnet mount for $15 and some powerpoles...

once I get my new truck I will probably get a more permanent NMO mount.

should get my callsign by friday, maybe monday!

-Zach

Mudbug63
August 12th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hey Zach something I forgot to mention to you the other day.....You do not want to run the power for any of your mobile radios through the fuse block on your vehicle. Run it direct to the battery.

If you want to use a auxiliary power block for your power poles/etc that's fine just bypass the vehicles stock electrical system entirely.

Also don't be surprised if you start activating relays on the car if you use high power. Lights flashing, wipers coming on, etc when you transmit. A grounded antenna mount will help this.

In case you cant tell I'm not a fan of magnet mounts. Running a grounding wire to the radio will help as well when using a mag mount. If there is not a ground screw on the radio you can generally use the one of the mounting screws and small ring terminal. Go tot he body or better yet the frame....Dont trust a screw in the dash for this for.

Once you get it mounted and need the SWR checked let me know....

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 12th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Hey Zach something I forgot to mention to you the other day.....You do not want to run the power for any of your mobile radios through the fuse block on your vehicle. Run it direct to the battery.

Yeah I had intended to run it straight to the battery when I finally install it.

Once you get it mounted and need the SWR checked let me know....

I will! I plan on running a simple piece of stainless at a right angle, mount a regular NMO mount to that and mount that from the hood seam (so the antenna mounts to the fender and not the hood) it would be simple, cheap, and relatively low so branches will not break or tweak the antenna.

after doing some research that antenna you gave me is a NICE antenna... the only blemish was the paint on the whip was flaking away leaving a slightly rusty whip (which can be replaced) but I think I might just sand it lightly and spray it black again. I think I will be using that antenna as my main antenna and my cheap magnet mount as a backup/loaner

this mount:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/ebay/lbchrome.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/lshos7

I found that mount and cable for like $26 shipped on ebay

EDIT: found some better ones at from that guys regular web store:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=264_268

-Zach

Mudbug63
August 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Zach that rust may be from my old garage door, it hit backing in....It would not surprise me if that antenna whip was not a stainless alloy. You might want to sand the whip and then get it wet and see if it rusts before picking up another.

If you do pick up another make sure they are the same length electrically. In other words you would need to take into account the number and diameter of the coils when trying to determine overall length. Don't just measure tip to tip you could come up way short and the SWR will never match.

Oh one other thing on the NMO style mount. You either need to get a weather proof connection at the antenna end or seal it with silicone. Most NMO/Coax assemblies are made for through body mounts so they are protected from the weather. The ends of the coax are normally open and will get wet in the rain or carwash and cause havoc with your SWR when used with a open mount like you are looking at.

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The ends of the coax are normally open and will get wet in the rain or carwash and cause havoc with your SWR when used with a open mount like you are looking at.
Good advice! I will find a way to do that. I have a friend that has his mounted the same way as I have shown and I dont think he has his sealed...

-Zach

ToyRunner1
August 13th, 2009, 04:20 PM
My NMO mount came with a mount like you're talking about, and the coax was designed for it.

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I got my call sign! KD0IQB...

-Zach

CYAN5DE
August 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
congrats..

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 16th, 2009, 01:06 AM
talked to rough ranger tonight... my antenna placement (mag mount to the metal railing of my appt. deck) did not help all that much...

and after transmitting my computer crashed, which is VARY RARE! but not all that surprised because I was pushing 30-45 watts hitting the repeater... I was apparently a little staticky. we tried the simplex calling freq and could not hear eachother... although that might be due to the repeater offset kicking in.

I really need to get a good mount in a big chunk of metal (ie truck)
-Zach

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I collected what I assume is a complete repeater list for the state for 2m/70cm. the colors show which repeaters are linked and/or which ones are close to where I live (broomfield)

TO READ THE FILE REPLACE .doc WITH .xls !!!!!!!

if you have any corrections feel free to add them, I have an old version of excel so I will not be able to read the new excel files please save them in the old format.

again,
TO READ THE FILE REPLACE .DOC WITH .XLS!!!!!!!!

-ZAch

ToyRunner1
August 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Zach,
are you aware that the ARRL prints a repeater guide each year? I just didn't want you to waste a lot of time if you weren't familiar with it, and it covered what you were looking for.

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but I am cheap and that list follows the memories in my radio. I should buy one though

-Zach

Mudbug63
August 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but I am cheap

-Zach

I guess...$7.95 :flipoff2:
http://cgi.ebay.com/The-ARRL-Repeater-Directory-NEW-2009-2010-Ham-Amateur_W0QQitemZ120459460416QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Texbook_Education?hash=item1c0bf17f40&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Congrats on the call.

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
$13 to my door?

I like my free option. I will eventually get one though

-Zach

Mudbug63
August 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
All in fun :D

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 18th, 2009, 11:14 AM
So I have been unable to contact my friend on simplex. I can hit repeaters but not my friend. My ground plane is basically a metal railing so that's probably not any help. My guess is i need to use something other than a mag mount.

Mudbug63
August 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
So I have been unable to contact my friend on simplex. I can hit repeaters but not my friend. My ground plane is basically a metal railing so that's probably not any help. My guess is i need to use something other than a mag mount.

You can build a nice 1/4 wave ground plane from a SO239 connector (female end of a PL 259) and 3/32 copper brazing rod or 12 gauge solid copper wire, a little time and soldering gun.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

I built one and sat the antenna on top of a PVC pipe, ran the coax down the inside of the pipe and used the pipe to mount the antenna. You can secure the antenna to the pipe with a couple of sheet metal screw through the pipe and snugged to the PL259. It does not need to screw into the PL259 just hold it in place.

For your simplex issue, remember VHF is line of sight. The repeater is on top of a mountain your buddy may behind the hill down the street. You both have a clear view of the mountain but not each other.

Not sure when you work but if you want to try simplex to me tonight I am off by about 5pm and can try any time after that to see if we can connect. At the house I am up on hill and should be able to hit most of Broomfield.

Let me know if you are available and I can start calling when I leave work. We can hookup on the CoCon 145.310 machine and move off to simplex.

Guess my call would be nice huh? KC0TPL

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 18th, 2009, 12:55 PM
We are going to try something this Friday if that does not work then I will let you know. I was on the 3rd floor and he was somewhere in Broomfield. Before I try too much I am going to run it from my car and see if that helps

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 19th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I installed the radio in the car, I have not tried to transmit (to chicken to break a conversation) nothing permanent but I did spend the time to wrap the cables in the spiral wrap. I could not really find a path to the engine bay so I am rocking the cig adapter...

Also, what repeaters are usable in moab?
146.760 - 88.5 Bald Mesa
146.900 - 88.5 ????????
147.080 + 136.5 Mt Ellen

apparently the guys at the radio shack know whats up?

-Zach KD0IQB

Mudbug63
August 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I could not really find a path to the engine bay so I am rocking the cig adapter...

-Zach KD0IQB

A drill, heat shrink tubing and a rubber grommet are your friends :D

I will look up the Moab repeaters tonight when I get home I don't have them programmed into the current radio.

I hope the Radio Shack comment was tongue in cheek. I have had horrid luck with them knowing anything about anything 2 way radio related. For the most part they know cell phones from my experience.

That being said I am sure that few of their employees have some sort of radio background but the stores are a far cry from their beginnings as a two way radio/Ham/CB shop. They don't even carry bulk Coax any more.

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 19th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I hope the Radio Shack comment was tongue in cheek. I have had horrid luck with them knowing anything about anything 2 way radio related. For the most part they know cell phones from my experience.

apparently the moab "shack" knows, i saw it referenced a few times. and i seem to remember them having more actual 2 way radio gear then your average radioshack

And I dont plan on having it installed in my car for too long... it will probably end up in my jeep temporarly and then in the truck once I finally get that going...

-Zach KD0IQB

Mudbug63
August 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Agreed the Moab place is not a normal RS...

bigun
August 19th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Back in the early 90s I used to travel a lot doing construction work. I used to map my route then grab the repeater guide an look up repeaters a long the route. I would write them out on 3X5 cards then as I went I would take the card for the area and punch in the codes it made those long miles go a lot smoother.

CYAN5DE
August 20th, 2009, 05:58 AM
down here, I went into RS and asked if they stocked RG-8 or L-400 and or 259 connectors. both people did not know what I wanted.

They took my to some speaker wire....

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 20th, 2009, 11:18 AM
When the CEO of radio shack doesent even know how the company stays afloat then you know that they are worthless.

I think the rs in Moab is actually a regular electronics store with radio shack stuff added in though.

-Zach

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 21st, 2009, 11:10 PM
Got my official paper ticket today!

If you get general do you have the option to get a new call sign? I can't say I really like mine.

Also, Where is a inexpensive place to get some reb/black zip cord 14 gauge?

-Zach

CYAN5DE
August 23rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I can't remember for sure (half drunk) but I believe you do, because your level can be determined by the composition of your call. IE 2x3, 2x2 etc.

if you get your general, you can work your new privileges but must identify with your old call and mention you have new permissions.

like I said, half drunk here, someone will put the actual protocol on here shortly I hope.

Mudbug63
August 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
You can request a new call but it is not automatically changed if you advance as it once did.

PhantomD AKA Zach
August 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM
can you request a new call without advancing? or would that basically be a vanity request?

-Zach

mud rat jr
August 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Allright this a bad habit, just got my 2nd rig a yaesu vx-7r with some goddies, so much for beer money, thanks fellas:idea:

Mudbug63
August 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
that basically be a vanity request?

This

PhantomD AKA Zach
October 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Ok, So I have been tinkering with my radio lately and now another friend just got his license... anyways, I have been updating the repeater list on radioreference and thought I would post it here. If you have not checked out the 2m and 70cm repeaters lately there are a LOT!

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Amateur_Radio_Repeaters_in_Colorado

its a WIKI so you can edit it. I will post up another excel file of my repeater cheat sheet too...

and yes, I dont have that little repeater guide, I should really get one...

-Zach

CYAN5DE
October 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
well I am now "KJ4ITS temporary AG"

test went well. 1 wrong on general.

amateur extra not so good. didn't study for it, got 27/50

PhantomD AKA Zach
October 11th, 2009, 01:30 AM
CONGRATS!

-Zach

mud rat jr
October 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM
congrats on the new level!

ni0h
October 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Just rechecked this thread (searching for battery info)... congrats, Cy!
Phantom: You can do a vanity app any time you like, for any call you're qualified for. I always said I wouldn't drop change calls unless I could make it shorter, but by the time I got to E, there weren't any available in the sequential pool, so I paid for this one.

And I'm just now getting an operating position back together after a year-ish off air - just VHF FM, but it's a start. Maybe if I upgrade jobs, wife'll let me upgrade rigs....or at least repair the ft817.

CYAN5DE
October 18th, 2009, 08:01 PM
anyone want to see if we can communicate CO/NC one of these days?

I am only pushing 100 watts out of a dipole, but have been doing decent with it.

did Austria today, did quite a few states on saturday, haven't heard anyone from CO yet though

Mudbug63
October 21st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Congrats on the stroke AG.

I'm game to try it will give me an excuse to put the HF antenna back on the truck. I will try and get it mounted again this weekend I put a camper shell on and I am having to rethink the HF antenna mount.

I will post up if I get it done.

You might try the county hunters net on 14.336 for some contacts. There is a net control on the beach in Johns Island, SC (K2JG) that runs things and home stations make quick calls to mobiles that are running a county. The idea is much like the worked all states award but considerably tougher. If its daylight there's someone on, you might not be able to hit net control given you location and his but someone will relay for you.

CYAN5DE
October 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
just scored a used MFJ 269 and also a MFJ 949, an antenna selector, and a copy of the ARRL antenna handbook....

for 200 bones.

awesome deal. probably going to get more good stuff cheap as hell too

CYAN5DE
October 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
guy lost his interest in radio's, does computer stuff now. trying to sell his whole station for 15k, but need help taking everything apart and dismantling it. I said I would help him out, and I am pretty sure no good deed will go unpunished.

this could be some of the most rewarding work I have done in a while....

EDIT:

guy is trying to convince me to get a loan to by his IC 7000's, and other insanely cool but expensive radios...I could probably get them all half off if I had the damned funds

Mudbug63
October 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
just scored a used MFJ 269 and also a MFJ 949, an antenna selector, and a copy of the ARRL antenna handbook....

for 200 bones.

awesome deal. probably going to get more good stuff cheap as hell too

The 269 will save you a bunch of headaches tuning your antennas to resonance. The 949 is ok running a 100watts but don't put any real power to it. Ask me how I know :D

CYAN5DE
October 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
The 269 will save you a bunch of headaches tuning your antennas to resonance. The 949 is ok running a 100watts but don't put any real power to it. Ask me how I know :D

something tells me I know how you know.

The 269 has already helped me tune my 2m dipole, and I was going to tune my 2m J-pole until the rain started coming down. maybe tomorrow.

the 949 is nice to see what my inboard tuner in the 737 calls "tuned" and I can move my SWR on 40m from 2.7 "tuned" down to 1.2 have had a hard time getting it tune on other bands, but it is a G5RV, so I don't expect much in the way of good SWR.

I will call that worth 200 bucks any day, since these things hardly depreciate.

CYAN5DE
October 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
hmmm. this is getting bad. Have an Icom 7000 on loan right now from a guy who wants to sell it to me. for 600 bucks. they go on ebay for 1100.

he has two, and I am really thinking about offering him 1100 for both, selling one on e-bay, and getting a free ic-7000 out of the deal. I know he would give me both for 1200.

I also scored a whole box of connectors, a spool of about 200ft LMR-400, and all sorts of odds and ends. CI-v cable, about 20 books on radio stuff. all for helping this guy out. I got hooked up this time.

anybody want a brand new, mounted and turned on twice IC-7000 for a grand? with long relocation cable and bracket?