PDA

View Full Version : {EDIT} Start(ed) a sitting bike 1995 gs500 now updated w/ progress n pics.

Ghettojeep
June 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM
ok guys so I've been wanting to pick up a little something to cruise around on. I've been wanting a cafe bike but just stumbled across a killer deal.

A friend has a 95 zuk gs500 that has been sitting for a bit, it is his girls bike who is out of state.

They got it started last year and had some stuff done but right now it's not kicking over.

Basically my plan is to drain the gas and replace the filter. Charge the batt or jump it, replace the plugs and maybe squirt a little oil in there and change the oil n filter and also the air filter.

Plan is to bring starting fluid and card cleaner, I also may remove the carbs if it comes to that n check to make sure they are not all gummed up or have stuck needles.

Anything else I'm missing?

Btw it has under 5 k miles n is going for 500 bucks, they just want it gone.

PovertyByJeep
June 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Yamaha makes a killer product for cleaning carbs, on the bike. I have used it several times with great success. You mix it with good gas, fill the carbs, and let it sit. I have a bottle rigged up with a fitting to connect to the fuel line from the tank, That way, I can get it through the entire system towards the carbs.

After it sits overnight, I usually also hit each carb with my air chisel with a blunt rubber tip and rattle 'em good. Drain the "cleaner" out, refill with fuel and run it.

The stuff is nasty, the engine will not run on it, but it sure works.

I notice you indicate that your "plan" it to take starting fluid with you. I would trailer/haul the thing home and work on it there.

Sounds like a good deal if the motor is good!

Ghettojeep
July 1st, 2009, 09:31 PM
So I went down today and checked her out. It's a really nice little bike. I think it's a 96 it's black w a dark grey frame and rims.

The gas was really really bad like yellow sludge, I drained it and replaced it with fresh gas. Changed the oil, checked and cleaned the plugs, and charged the batt. The choke return spring is shot so I had to manually take the choke off by sliding the bar manually.

Got her running w the help of starting fluid, but the fuel system needs some going through. So the tip will help there I may go that route. I'll need to completely remove the tank and check for clogs and really clean the carbs. It will rev but is really boggy down low. I didn't press it b/c it needs a thorough cleaning b/f it will run well.

Other then that it seems it needs the front forks rebuilt. They are mush. So maybe new seals and etc. I may need a hand a this btw.

Other then that it needs grease, possibly a chain and some other misc little stuff like the seat recovered.

It's a sweet little bike, and will be my little cafe. From here I'll bring her home and get the work going.

I'll post up some picks and will be asking dr some volunteers to help me with the forks everything else I've done before and should be able to handle.

I'm pretty stoked it's a kicken little scooter

Ghettojeep
July 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Well here she is. I ordered a new seat cover, the battery is toast so that's on order too. Might be getting a new chain as well as a tooth down on the front sprocket for a little more ooomph. Overall coming along well, fuel system has been cleaned out and it's running well. Still needs some cables and stuff lubed. The front fork is seeming to be ok for now, I'm guessing once oil started moving around things got lubed up and moisturized so it's stiffened up a bit.

Almost ready to ride, besides puttin it around the block :D

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/89/l_20d8819f4aab494a940416ea5c4a1a6c.jpg
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/67/l_14102cca90da4385a3dcee4b7afb87e1.jpg

CYAN5DE
July 14th, 2009, 05:35 PM
not bad for 500 bones man

Ghettojeep
July 14th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured. I can always sell this thing for a profit, even w/ dumping a couple dollars into it.

Recovered the seat. Cost $45 ebay. :thumbsup:

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/111/l_2221b558562042c7978d8c403a41fb6f.jpg

As far as cosmetics, that went a long way. There is a small bit of surface rust on the bars I'd like to get rid of.

Planning on opening up the exhaust with a new tip and possibly the k & n clamp on filter for it. There's not much you can do for performance with these so I'm not planning much. Just a louder exhaust to be safer and let it breath a little better.

Ghettojeep
August 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Well I just said goodbye to my little gs. I got an offer I couldn't refuse for it and ended up selling it. I put new tires and a new batt in it before I sold it. Got 1800 for it, so I ended up making about 1100 on the bike. I wasn't really planning on getting rid of it but I got into a little bit of trouble ( not on the bike) and needed the cash more then an extra bike in the stable. Next year I might step up to a sv650 though, i really dig those. Anyway se lá vi little twin!