PDA

View Full Version : backcountry camping and fishing

husker267
June 18th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I do a fair amount of fly fishing already. But I'm interested in getting into hiking into the backcountry, doing some fishing and spending the night. My wifes only request is that I don't do it alone.
Anybody have any trip recommendations or is anybody interested in joining me?
Andy

Whitey
June 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Lost Creek Wilderness Area is a close place to start. Good stream fishing for brookies, easy hike. Turn east on the first road after Kenosha Pass, (Hwy 285 south bound), follow the road till it ends, that's the trail head, hike from there.

Why not bring your wife with you?

husker267
June 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info. She'll do truck camping, but that's about where she draws the line. Maybe I'll take our lab.

UnlimitedFun
June 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM
X2 on Lost Creek.

Would like to join you cause it sounds like a fun plan, but all tied up on weekends for the next month (summer visitation with my daughter).

husker267
June 19th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'll check it out. Thanks guys.
I think she's heard the stories of guys that get themselves stuck way up on 14ers, some of which are never found.
Unlimited Fun - hit me up after the summer visitation. As long as it's not too late in the season, I'd be game.
Andy

UnlimitedFun
June 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Maybe the 3rd or 4th weekend in July???

The wife says I'm not allowed out by myself either. Ran into a bear a couple years ago in the La Garita Wilderness that was only a few yards away. Biggest mistake...telling her about it. :shrug:

husker267
June 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Ironhide
June 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
I would love to join you as I always end up going alone myself. However my fat ass is so out of shape. One of my favorite backpacking fishing spots is on the Colorado trail. There is one spot where there is a stretch of beaver ponds full of brookies. Going to the flat tops here in a few days to some fishing if anyone wants to join. I plan on staying two nights

husker267
June 23rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Ironhide - I'm still researching/gathering equipment. So I won't be ready to roll for a couple weeks. Have fun!

van7559
June 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
when you are ready to roll, let me know, I am not a fly fisherman, but an avid fisherman, and love to camp/ hike.

UnlimitedFun
June 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like there's a group of us that want to go, could make for a pretty good trip if everyone's schedule can work out. Great idea husker!

husker267
June 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Agreed! I'm hoping to solidify a date here in the next week or so. Stay tuned.

UnlimitedFun
July 5th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I am looking at the remainder of my summer schedule and surprisingly still have the following weekends available:

17-19 July
24-26 July
31 July - 2 August

Any of these work?

Joel

zoriloco
July 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I would be interested in joining for a weekend. Although I use reel.

Planning to be at Dick Camp ground on the 17th of July, hike up to the MSV Glacier and do some fishing up there.

husker267
July 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Joel - The 17th-19th works best for me. The calendar has filled for the other two weekends you listed. I'm thinking of starting with one night - most likely hike in saturday and out on sunday. What are your thoughts?

Zoriloco - Where is the MSV glacier?

UnlimitedFun
July 8th, 2009, 09:37 PM
The Sat-Sun would work for me, especially since I have to get a crown completed Fri afternoon:( Still thinking Lost Creek?

zoriloco
July 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
TH for that glacier is at the end of Middle St Vrain. So Im planning on camping at Camp Dick, drive the Jeep thru MSV, park it and start the hike.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1808

UnlimitedFun
July 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
drive the Jeep thru MSV

I've never been there, can a suburban make it?

zoriloco
July 9th, 2009, 09:24 PM
a stock burban??? hmmm probably not. Those things are just too long. Anything shorter maybe.

here is the info on that trail.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18

UnlimitedFun
July 10th, 2009, 05:36 AM
That might not be the best place for me to try to get into. I'm stuck with only the suburban now, no longer have a jeep. While it is ver ycapable of a lot of things, it is long none the less.

husker267
July 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
For anybody who is interested, it looks like we're heading into the lost creek wilderness area this Saturday the 18th and coming back out Sunday the 19th. Let me know if you're interested in joining us.
Andy

UnlimitedFun
July 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I'm out...found out today that I have to work this weekend :(

husker267
July 15th, 2009, 08:57 PM
No worries Joel.....I got the OK from the swmbo that I can go alone this round. But if anybody else is interested, hit me up. We'll plan another go before too long.

zoriloco
July 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hey Husker so where are you going?? We'll be fishing MSV Friday PM and probably go up to Jenny Lake and see if its thawed out enough to fish on Sat AM. Ive heard Forest Lake right behind Jenny Lake is awesome.

husker267
July 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I'm looking to head into the lost creek wilderness. Nothing too way out there, but enough for me ro test out all the new gear.