PDA

View Full Version : hosting a vendor booth at a festival

thenimirra
June 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I will be hosting my first vendors booth at a fair in my community next month. I was thinking about hosting a type of "photo booth" set up where I take a portrait, edit them and print them out right on the spot! Do you know where I might be able to get a printer that would work well for this? Anybody want to help me assist and we can split the profits from the immediate sales?

ni0h
June 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I've got a little Kodak printer dock thing that prints out photo-quality from the camera.

thenimirra
June 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
hmmm, that could work. Does it allow you to do some editing there? Or can it hook directly up to my laptop. I will probably want to do some quick PP to clean up blemishes and whiten eyes and teeth.

I also thought that maybe I could shoot it teethered and then email it directly to them.

ColoradoSkier
June 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I'd say you should offer at least sizes up to 8x10. That's an impulse buy, but you want more than they can print at home with their camera, and everyone has one of those 4x6 printers...

thenimirra
June 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I found a compact Canon Pixma that I think I will purchase for this event. I don't have to pay for booth space, so that saves me from $250-$350 right there!

Jeffro600
June 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I found a compact Canon Pixma that I think I will purchase for this event. I don't have to pay for booth space, so that saves me from $250-$350 right there!

Ive got a small Canon Pixma iP100 and it puts out some outstanding prints...side by side, you'd be very hard pressed to see any quality difference over a lab print. Its about the same size as the other compacts on the market but prints a full size 8x10. Pretty quick too. Its a single cartridge system and their dirt cheap and last a while.

ColoradoSkier
June 11th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Does the iP100 work best with Canon papers, or have you tried a variety in it?

Jeffro600
June 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Does the iP100 work best with Canon papers, or have you tried a variety in it?

The Epson premium papers seem to work the best.

ColoradoSkier
June 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Good to know about the iP100. I keep waffling back and forth on getting a printer. When I can get quick prints in an hour at Wal-Mart for cheap or quality, die-cut wallets for cheap at WHCC, it doesn't seem worth it. The iP100 seems to be going for ~$159, but ink looks to be about $10/ tank. For the quality you speak of, the convenience might be worth it. And if I ever did an event, then it would absolutely make sense.

Have you tried any of the other paper manufacturers, like Moab or the like?

thenimirra
June 11th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I think it will really come in handy for me too next year when I cover the NBS summit at Winter Park. I was tired of Sharp Shooters stealing revenue away from me with some crappy asshat pictures just because they printed them on site and people felt compelled to buy them.

I'm talking total crap: shooting portraits in midday sun on a mountain covered in snow, with the subjects faces turned toward the sun without any fill flash to light up things! That's crazy.

Jeffro600
June 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Good to know about the iP100. I keep waffling back and forth on getting a printer. When I can get quick prints in an hour at Wal-Mart for cheap or quality, die-cut wallets for cheap at WHCC, it doesn't seem worth it. The iP100 seems to be going for ~$159, but ink looks to be about $10/ tank. For the quality you speak of, the convenience might be worth it. And if I ever did an event, then it would absolutely make sense.

Have you tried any of the other paper manufacturers, like Moab or the like?

Ive tried some of the Canon, HP and Kodak stuff and they were all just OK...i havent tried any of the more exotic stuff because the Epson paper just works so well, why fix what aint broke! :D

Honestly, you get more results out of the print settings that you do in the paper selection. The standard glossy setting(not the premium glossy) seems to give the best results with the Epson stuff. The premium setting gave a little bit of banding.

ColoradoSkier
June 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I saw an iP2600 at Wally World today for cheap. I wonder how it compares to the iP100?

Jeffro600
June 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I saw an iP2600 at Wally World today for cheap. I wonder how it compares to the iP100?

I dunno...it has some "meh" user reviews on amazon and cnet.

ColoradoSkier
June 11th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I guess the increase in model number was not followed by increase in quality. Thought it might be too good to be true...

Jeffro600
June 11th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Its a totally different league of printers...as far as consumer compacts\portables go, the iP100 is pretty much creme de la creme.

Ghettojeep
June 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I'd actually go a step further and blue or green screen them on a motorcycle or something. I've thought about doing this at the less, um how should I put this, refined? festivals. IE peoples fair, etc

I've seen the car show set up where they photo the rides coming in and then put in the back ground.

My plan would be to set up the booth w/ a moto in it, maybe a place you could shoot w. out it too, most likely would take a double booth.

Just a thought, I've worked over 50 arts festivals selling fine art, and I've thought about a set up similar to what your talking about for holiday shows, carni type festivals, etc.

My pops and I have a HP Z3100, we are stepping up a size at some point, and the current one will move from his place in Chicago out here.

It would be quite a set up to do it right, I basically have everything to do it as soon as I get my hands on the printer.

W the Z series you can print large format, so you could print out a 24x36 right there. You could also print on canvas, and take peoples stuff out of their digital camera and print it on canvas for them.

I actually saw a guy just doing that at one of the denver holiday shows, and he seemed to be killing it.

Rambling thoughts.... It's doable for sure. How much money you could make? That I don't know, I've been doing arts festivals for 5 years and everyone is rolling the dice, ecomomy, weather, crowd, booth location, all factors you have no control over.

ColoradoSkier
June 13th, 2009, 07:15 AM
A $2,000 or $3,000 printer is not necessarily one I'd one to be hauling around. It looks like a beast. It would take a few festival things to make the money back on. I like the idea, just not sure of the ROI end of it. Also, you'd be spending some bit of time to get the masking on the green screen just right if you want to print at that size. Might almost need a 2nd person, whom you would have to pay or split profits with...

Conversely, if I read the specs right, the iP100 can run on battery if you need it to, making it perfect for outdoor events. And at $159, won't take long to recover the cost.

Ghettojeep
June 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah it's not worth it for the stuff you guys are talking about. But for the volume my pops and I do it's paid for itself 10 times or more over. Especially with canvas wraps our profit margin on those are fantastic.

ColoradoSkier
June 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah it's not worth it for the stuff you guys are talking about. But for the volume my pops and I do it's paid for itself 10 times or more over. Especially with canvas wraps our profit margin on those are fantastic.

IIRC, you guys are using it to make prints of his and your shots right, not for a photo booth kind of setup?

I can imagine the markup on canvas wraps is pretty good. I just had a couple done and I really like them.

thenimirra
June 13th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Ghetto that idea sounds amazing! I love it! Unfortunately I don't have access to anything like that though.

Chester...where are you getting this price of $150 for that printer? I've seen it online for nearly $300. I like your price much better. :P

ColoradoSkier
June 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
When I looked last week, I saw it at $159. Same search now brings it to $209. http://froogle.com

Ghettojeep
June 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
IIRC, you guys are using it to make prints of his and your shots right, not for a photo booth kind of setup?

I can imagine the markup on canvas wraps is pretty good. I just had a couple done and I really like them.

Yeah that's our output for our fine art stuff and when we do weddings etc. We only outsource really the really large stuff now.

Yeah and it's just a thought I have flying around my head it seems to make a buck inthe photog gig you really can't paint yourself into a corner.

Currently the art festival circuit is our main fcus but eventually we want to have our own gallery and studio, maybe sell some stuff, run classes out of it etc, in addition to the festivals, weddings, etc.

Also looking hard at motorsports and car commissions as well as gearing up for actions sports and snow sports, pin ups, etc

More rambling thoughts lol, we r making a pretty good buck at the arts festivals after cutting our teeth the first years. I've kinda scaled it back a bit since the economic downturn to about a dozen shows. By when stuff turns around it's full bore in above said directions.

thenimirra
June 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I keep trying to get on that link C and I get sent to google???

ColoradoSkier
June 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Froogle is the shopping version of Google.

http://www.google.com/products?q=ip100&aq=f

thenimirra
June 13th, 2009, 08:19 PM
got it! thanks!

thenimirra
July 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your great suggestions. Yesterday's photo booth was a lot of fun and profitable. Check out my blogpost if you want to see some of the images that were taken:

http://pictureyourworldphotography.blogspot.com/2009/07/get-job-done-first-photo-booth-hit.html

Jeffro600
July 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Very cool! Glad that printer worked out well for ya...i know, ive had a love\hate relationship with mine but deep down, i really do love it! For mobile printing, their the best!

I didnt see it specifically in your blog but might i ask what your lighting setup was?

thenimirra
July 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM
all natural light. It was so bright out there on top of that asphalt that we didn't need anything else but the 50 1.8

ColoradoSkier
July 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Good job. Was the $100 after expenses I hope?

thenimirra
July 14th, 2009, 11:19 AM
nope. but I don't measure my success that way. plus there were a lot of start-up costs so I can do this on a regular basis. the printer alone was more than $100. thank goodness I booked that Dec wedding and they paid the full amount too. :)

thenimirra
July 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
woohoo! I just got my first client today from the photo booth on Saturday! She has booked senior portraits for one son and actor headshots for another. I was worried that she was going to balk when I told her what my prices were, as I've recently raised them, but said that she saw my work at the photo booth and new the prices were worth it! I wish every client felt that way instead of having to deal with people who think $500 for a wedding is too expensive.