PDA

View Full Version : Camping Areas

Mark
June 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
How do you find them?

We're heading up to Nederland this weekend, and I thought about camping friday night (not going to happen now, but it got me thinking). Then I realized, I have no idea where I could camp. I'm not talking KOA or Good Sam RV parks, I mean just dispersed camping - where I can drive off the trail a ways, and set up camp. Still car based, but 'out of the way' so to speak.

Do I have to buy a map of every NFS district in order to know where I can camp? Or is there somewhere online that shows?

Mack
June 3rd, 2009, 09:31 AM
I had this same question. I went the NFS map route- local libraries are good for it. CU's Map lib is insane.

That said, let me know if you want some directions to spots near Ned. I know several.

mtn WJ
June 3rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
I think in Nederland you can just camp in the streets as long as you drive an old VW bus or 200 series Volvo. Not sure.

kmon35
June 3rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Best bet is National forest maps. They show all the established campgrounds in that particular forest. Not disperser, but some seldom used, depending on where. They also show private property and other types of properties as well. They have a good key and legend system to give you an idea of where you can drive etc.

I have found most of my camp spots by driving the forest service roads and thinking "that looks like a good spot." It freaked my wife out the first few times, but she got used to it. She grew up with camping being a nice R.V. park or a getto (to her parents) KOA.

I am not familliar with the Nederland area, so I can't help you there, but if you head to North Park, let me know and I could point you in a few directions.

zoriloco
June 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I usually find spots when Im wheeling or hiking. Then Ill come back with the family to camp. Just gotta get out there and explore. Start with known trails and you'll soon find you self "discovering" new one's.

Whitey
June 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Unless posted as 'no camping' or 'camping only in designated same sites', you can camp in any NF. It's better if you find a spot that is already used for camping, i.e., previous fire ring.

Knowing where the good spots/areas are takes time and lots of traveling the woods. One reason why it pisses me so much when I go to places only to find the road closed, camp sites restricted, etc. :(

Anyway, go here (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/map/colorado/index.shtml) for on line National Forest maps.

Colin
June 10th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Unless posted as 'no camping' or 'camping only in designated same sites', you can camp in any NF. It's better if you find a spot that is already used for camping, i.e., previous fire ring.

Knowing where the good spots/areas are takes time and lots of traveling the woods. One reason why it pisses me so much when I go to places only to find the road closed, camp sites restricted, etc. :(

Anyway, go here (http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/map/colorado/index.shtml) for on line National Forest maps.

Yep!

I found this prize winner of a spot a week ago on Mill Creek off of Ohio Creek. The spot is secluded, has excellent tree cover, nice large fire pit, its huge and level and covered in nice soft short grass. Theres a creek 50 feet away to boot. I'm stoked to go there next weekend!