PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Trip Report - Granite Res, WY

RebelRescuer
May 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Location - Granite Reservoir, Kurt Gowdy State Park, 35 minutes west of Cheyenne. Right next to it is Crystal Res. and up the road is North Crow Res, all in the same park.

Camping - Good camping areas for tent/trailer/RV. Outhouses are fairly frequent and there is potable water in some locations. Fire rings and camp spots are plentiful and right next to the water. Usually not too crowded. Great place to take the kids/wife for a weekend away. Temps were cold and really windy with overnights in the low 40's. But the elevation is only about 8000, so I'm thinking that's just because its early yet.

Fishing - Memorial Day weekend trout were hitting hard on Powerbait in a light yellow color with glitter, solid orange, and orange/hot pink. Little interest in worms or salmon eggs, and no interest in lures. Wyoming allows two poles in the water per person, with three hooks per pole (trebles count as one). Bottom fishing went the best. Successful rigs were heavy weights on the end with 2-3 small trebles set in a 4-5ft length up the line. Cast out, take up the slack and wait. Fish were hitting within 2 minutes of cast out, or not hitting at all. We bank-fished due to the weather, though it seemed that boaters were doing well. Did see a kid with a 3lb trout and the ranger told us that they'd dumped some spawners in there. Stocked, so some were pretty small and definite throw-backs. Don't even think about not having a license there. Out of state was $14/day or $104 annual.

Boating - Crystal allows only small motors, Granite allows bigger motors at one end and only small at the other. I'm not sure about North Crow.

Fish caught - four of us caught a total of 16 decent sized trout. Cutthroats, rainbows, lakes, yellowstones, and a trout that we didn't recognize (and neither did the rangers..almost looked like a brookie cross).

It has a lot of trees, big rock formations, etc I just didn't happen to take a photo of them. :rolleyes:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/SweetGeorge/Fishing40001.jpg

rubbersidedown
May 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
One of my favorite (Granite) quick get-a-way camping spots! I always head out through Vedauwoo and do some rock climbing! :thumbsup: I may have to head there in the next couple of weeks! Thanks for the report.

mtn WJ
May 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Nice report with good detail. Might make a nice fishing trip. The BBC is perfect for that kind of lake.

The annual fee is pretty steep for out of state tags. What is the age limit for requiring a license? My oldest is 16 and needs a license in CO as of this year.

I like the two poles allowed, Colorado charges for the second rod. Still only 36 bucks for two rods in state cost per year.

What does WY charge for overnight camping in a state park?

RebelRescuer
May 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Nice report with good detail. Might make a nice fishing trip. The BBC is perfect for that kind of lake.

The annual fee is pretty steep for out of state tags. What is the age limit for requiring a license? My oldest is 16 and needs a license in CO as of this year.

I like the two poles allowed, Colorado charges for the second rod. Still only 36 bucks for two rods in state cost per year.

What does WY charge for overnight camping in a state park?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about kid's licenses. We just got ours at the Walmart in Cheyenne which was essentially on the way. And because I don't have kids....I didn't think to ask. :)

As far as the cost in the park, we were there three days, two nights and out of state charge was $34 total.

Also, remember to bring wood. Its not one that really has any laying around like some of the farther out reservoirs.

You can reserve campsights there, though most of the ones right on the water are walk-up only. We arrived on Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend and found one just fine without a reservation.

dmeis
May 28th, 2009, 10:30 AM
My 16yo had to get a license. IIRC the age is 14... It's $17 per night camping good until 10am, then $6 day use...