PDA

View Full Version : Wedding - Prices

OFRD_GRL
May 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
A co-worker wants me to shoot his wedding... I haven't the slightest idea what to charge.

Get there at Noon, pre-wedding pics.
Wedding 1:30-2:30ish
Break until 5pm which is when the reception starts.

I don't want to over charge him, and I don't want to completely undercut myself either.

SOOO I want to know what a NORMAL fee would be for this, and then I can just adjust accordingly. Thanks guys :)

kmon35
May 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Not a photographer, but, it's a wedding so it has to cost 3-4 times more than it normally would.

Hope that helps.

OFRD_GRL
May 27th, 2009, 04:54 PM
LOL Ya... I basically want to come under what a normal (non friend) photographer would charge, but still make decent money on it. And I havent the SLIGHTEST what a normal photog charges for a wedding since for my wedding I didnt have a photog LOL

Brutus
May 27th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I think you are going to need to clarify what all you are providing both for your sake and your friend. How many prints? What sizes? Are you just shooting the wedding and they are buying the digital masters from you?

You should know roughly what your time is worth per hour.

OFRD_GRL
May 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I will be giving them 2 options...

They pay for me to shoot the event photography. Then separately buy prints, digitals, etc.

They pay for me to shoot the event and provide them with a disk(s) of all images taken.

This will be my first wedding type event so I am not sure as far as a fair price.. I know what I charge for farms and horse shoots, but this is WAY different :)

Jeffro600
May 27th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Tips for weddings...

Dont shoot for friends, dont shoot for family....or really, anyone you know or have some sort of attachment too! See why below underlined...

And dont just dive head first into one...be a second or third photog for the first few ones you do so you can see what to do and what not to do...weddings are settings that can throw alot of curve balls and you need to know how to address them as they come. Believe me when i say, you dont want to be responsible for giving a poor performance on the bride and grooms potentially biggest day of their lives.

If your hellbent on doing it, charge what you think is a fair price...what might be fair to you might be on the low side for me, or on the high side for the next person. Check around, call a few places and get price quotes and then if you think you can deliver, take an average of prices and charge give or take nearly the same.

YJgirl
May 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Ditto what Jeffro said underlined. I've gotten myself into that situation and am not liking it cuz its my boss's daughters wedding. I'll screw up anyone else's photos and can photoshop them back to decent but this one has me nervous.

Una - swap? You shoot my wedding and I'll shoot yours? :D

OFRD_GRL
May 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
That works for me :)

As far as shooting his wedding I haven't much choice... he didn't ask ANYONE to shoot it until Friday last week.... and it is a week from Saturday LOL...

He hasn't contacted a single other photographer.. I told him I've never done one.. his wife is hell bent on me doing it because she has seen my website and likes my work... and probably because they assume I will be super cheap LOL which isn't the case. I will be fair, but still worth my time.

Thanks for the input everyone.

ColoradoSkier
May 28th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Good luck - those things intimidate me.

OFRD_GRL
May 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Well I found some websites with prices already listed on them, so I can at least present it to him with other prices and he can make up his mind (not that he has a choice) who waits 2 weeks before their wedding to hire a photog?
http://www.vergephotography.com/weddings/packages.aspx

Brutus
May 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM
That works for me :)

As far as shooting his wedding I haven't much choice... he didn't ask ANYONE to shoot it until Friday last week.... and it is a week from Saturday LOL...

He hasn't contacted a single other photographer.. I told him I've never done one.. his wife is hell bent on me doing it because she has seen my website and likes my work... and probably because they assume I will be super cheap LOL which isn't the case. I will be fair, but still worth my time.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Well I found some websites with prices already listed on them, so I can at least present it to him with other prices and he can make up his mind (not that he has a choice) who waits 2 weeks before their wedding to hire a photog?
http://www.vergephotography.com/weddings/packages.aspx

If that is the case, you need to contact them sooner rather than later. If you contact them a couple of days before the wedding and they see it as you are "sticking it to them" on the cost... you may loose them as friends all together.

OFRD_GRL
May 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
They aren't really friends LOL Just a co-worker that I think is looking for a "friend hookup"?

I am giving him prices today and we will go from there. I know I am giving them a helluva deal. Soooo Ya.

Looks like the average is about $400 per hour with other photog's.

kmon35
May 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
All right, I gave you nothing to work with on the first post, so I called the photographer who did my wedding a few years ago.

She now charges $1500 for 4 hours a cd with all images and the copyright release.

She will do other arrangements, but would not go into those details.

At $400 an hour, it looks like you are right in there. Good luck with the shoot.

Jeffro600
May 28th, 2009, 08:31 PM
$400 an hour is pretty damn high if you ask me....but out there, that could be to going rate. Out here, a 4-6 hour wedding session will run you about 1000-1500 dollars for an average, run of the mill photog...again, a rough estimation and some are higher and some are lower. You dont get a whole lot for that amount but its a basic package...usually shooting time, mild post processing and a small picture package is included in there. I shot as a second guy a couple months ago and i charged a flat fee of $500 for 4 hours of work...but i put zero post processing time into those so it was easy money that went straight into my pocket. The more in depth you go and the better of a product your going to produce should be reflective towards your price.

IMO, if your going to be charging $400 dollars an hour(your talkin 2000-3000 dollars for your time for an average wedding\reception), make sure your going to put out photos that are worth $400 bucks an hour.

AMMOtj
May 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I paid just under $6k for my wedding.

But, in the end, we got more than what we could have imagined!

http://www.harringtonphoto.com/clients/rogahn_mercil/

And a Zookbinder with all of these pix in there...

http://www.harringtonphoto.com/clients/rogahn_mercil_album/

Included in the package was also a "Father's Pride" album (You can see her dad looking at it in some of the pictures). Basically a bridal photo shoot where Melissa wrote in her own special words on each page. According to Larry, it's brought tears to 99% of all dads that have recieved it... her dad was no exception!

Also included were 6 mini-albums with 2 5X8 photos that we gave to each of our parents, grandparents and a few other special people.

edit: This included a 2 hour studio shoot for the Fathers-Pride album and Larry was there from 10am until what seemed to be 8 or 9 that night.

edit^2: It was so amazing having a photographer know each person in your family and wedding party by name! He was so attentive to the small details. Literally, he had a list, taped to his tripod so that he could call on individual people, not just yelling out "Hey you, on the end..."

OFRD_GRL
May 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM
IMO, if your going to be charging $400 dollars an hour(your talkin 2000-3000 dollars for your time for an average wedding\reception), make sure your going to put out photos that are worth $400 bucks an hour.

Like I said:
the average for other photographers was about $400 an hour from what I found... and I am giving them a helluva deal compared to that :)

Basically I am charging them $700 total because I have To shoot from Noon-2:30... sit around and do nothing (too far to go home..) until 5pm... and shoot until whenever the reception is over... which will be at LEAST 7pm

then my post processing time and what not...

thenimirra
June 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Una, if you would like a second shooter, I could shoot with you if you like. After leading three weddings, I would like to try second shooting to see if I like wedding coverage better that way.

OFRD_GRL
June 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Well he decided to NOT have a professional photographer... and is having the brides sister take pictures of the wedding LMFAO....

SOOOO apparently $700 was too much. And $4000 (other photographers) is definitely too much.

I'm glad because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been happy no matter how good the pictures came out anyways.

I had to ask him though, he didn't even bother to tell me about it.
Lame.

OFRD_GRL
June 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Oh and thanks for your offer Sheeba :)