PDA

View Full Version : Sour Grapes...

Loki
May 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
hehe...

Sour Grapes (http://www.examiner.com/x-2206-Cleveland-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m5d21-Sour-grapes-from-gun-grabbers-as-National-Parks-gun-amendment-passes)

Anti-gun pundits can scarcely hide their disdain for gun owners in the face of yet another defeat, this time as legislation to reinstate the Bush rule change permitting law-abiding concealed handgun license holders to bring their firearms with them into National Parks passed both the Senate and the House and is headed to President Obama's desk.

While most legislators know that the majority of their constituents support gun rights, those who would like to take them away blame the "powerful gun lobby" and insinuate that they buy their agenda at "the frustration and discouragement of many Democrats" while the media runs headlines like "Guns Rule Congress" and somberly point out that "the White House is lukewarm at best on the gun provision" as they lament that "a majority of Democrats in the House and Senate still typically come down on the side of gun control."

“It is a shame,” said Senator Barbara Boxer, Democrat of California. “But you have to come to a realization around here that at this point in time, the NRA gets the votes.”

She goes on to add, "I will just vote my conscience on those amendments and speak out until people get a hold of their senses." Apparently she feels that anyone who supports the Second Amendment has lost their mind.

ABC News, who has recently become even more rabid in support of the gun ban agenda, echoes that sentiment, crying that legislators are "frightened by the mighty NRA." Closer to the truth would be that legislators are afraid of going against the wishes of those who elected them, the same people who will be at the polls next time.

The result was that the National Parks gun amendment "was approved 279 to 147, with 174 Republicans and 105 Democrats backing it; 145 Democrats and 2 Republicans opposed it." Senator Tom Coburn, who introduced the amendment, explained why. “I don’t like guns necessarily, what I want is those constitutional rights to be protected.”

A legislator who wants rights protected, even if he doesn't personally "like" them. That's how Congress is supposed to work :thumbsup:

_CJ
May 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
The Democratic party wouldn't be in power and will lose power quickly if they piss off the "blue dogs" (pro-2nd amendment liberals/independants). If they move forward with gun control, etc. they'll be out on their ears and they know it. I seriously doubt most of these swing voters are NRA members, so that argument falls flat.

Glad to see the bill passed.