PDA

View Full Version : Trip report

_CJ
May 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Returned last night from a fishing trip in the Gunnison/Crested Butte area. Stayed in a cabin in Almont for three nights. One of the nicest cabins I've ever stayed in, and very affordable.

On the 14th, I did a little fly fishing along the river near the cabin after loading in. Got one bite, but lost him before landing him.

On the 15th we went out to Blue Mesa. Too windy and too many big boats speeding around the res to really focus on fishing. Put the canoe in east of the marina, paddled across to a cove, beached it for lunch, paddled back. Trolled the whole way without a single bite. Also tried casting towards the shoreline with no luck. I did see some other people catch some good looking fish, but none for me. :( A friend told me the fishing is better down near the dam right now, but it was way too windy to put the canoe in down there.

On the 16th we went up to Spring Creek res. Drove around to the far side and parked at a nice campsite on the shore. I fished from shore and trolled around in the canoe a bit too. Caught 10-15 fish, both while trolling and from shore. Two Browns and the rest were Rainbows. Sizes ranged from six to ten inches. I released all but one of them that swallowed my hook. The magic lure was a spotted green 1/4oz spoon that I picked up at Walmart. The brand is "Pot-o-Gold". Tried several other lures with no luck. They just loved the spoon. I'm sure green powerbait would work well too. A couple of guys fly fishing seemed to be having good luck up at the inlet but I left my fly rod in the Scout.

:beer:

mtn WJ
May 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Very nice report. Thanks for posting it.

We will be fishing this weekend in the BV area. Cottonwood Lake and in the general area. I will post up what worked and what didnt.

Thanks again.

Colin
May 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I'll have to try out that spoon tonight, glad you had a good time up here!

Did you stay at Three Rivers?

There was a fishing tourney on the lake this weekend, prob why the lake was even more packed with boats than usual.

_CJ
May 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Yup, Three Rivers Resort. Nice people, and really nice cabins. 1 bedroom, 1 bath, full kitchen and living/dining area was $85/night for my wife and I, plus $10/night for our dog. No TV, internet, radio, phone, cell coverage, or microwave, but that's all good imo.

Colin
May 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Yup, Three Rivers Resort. Nice people, and really nice cabins. 1 bedroom, 1 bath, full kitchen and living/dining area was $85/night for my wife and I, plus $10/night for our dog. No TV, internet, radio, phone, cell coverage, or microwave, but that's all good imo.

Yep, great place. You got a great rate. Typically they are running 140ish a night right now, 200+ for memorial. But like everyone else they are hurtin, makes for some great deals! If you ever want to do some rafting in the area Three Rivers are excellent outfitters as well.

I work at a resort in Gunni and were hurtin bad enough our $230/night full size vacation homes (sleep 8) are goin for $135 this weekend.