PDA

View Full Version : Gun Laws by State

ToyRunner1
May 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
In my CCW class they talked about gunlaws.com, but that seems to have a lot of invalid links for many states. What other sites do you all use to find out the laws in states you are going to be visiting? I am going on vacation in a couple of weeks and plan on taking at least one toy along (Sure hope I don't have to cross any water). I know about the CCW reciprosity, but would like to know what other laws might apply.

Scott@Rockstomper
May 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.handgunlaw.us is pretty good.
Packing.org used to be good, but appears to be gone now.

ZappBranigan
May 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I would be leery of any "compilation" web site. You don't know when it was last updated.

Most states post their statutes on line, why not just go straight to the source?

ToyRunner1
May 12th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Zapp,
that is basically what I was looking at doing, but I was hoping that there was a place, like the gunlaws.com was supposed to be, that might have links to the different state's laws. Do they normally use the saem kind of format state to state?

ZappBranigan
May 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Zapp,
that is basically what I was looking at doing, but I was hoping that there was a place, like the gunlaws.com was supposed to be, that might have links to the different state's laws. Do they normally use the saem kind of format state to state?

Nope, each state pretty much does their own thing.

However, it's not that difficult to do the research since the questions you'd be asking are fairly limited, I'm assuming: Under what circumstances is it legal to have a loaded weapon with you, do they offer reciprocity for CCW, etc.

ToyRunner1
May 12th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Yep, just about. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

DADA_JEEP
May 13th, 2009, 09:10 PM
not sure how updated that website is, it still shows colorado allowing CCW holders of other states to CC in CO, which is no longer the case, Colorado no longer allows out of state CCW holders to CC in the state at any time.

4runner freak
May 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
not sure how updated that website is, it still shows colorado allowing CCW holders of other states to CC in CO, which is no longer the case, Colorado no longer allows out of state CCW holders to CC in the state at any time.

I believe that this is only true for CO Residents.
i.e. you cannot be a CO resident and CC with an out of state CCW, but if you live in, lets say, Florida, and are visiting CO, carry on.

Steve Rickard
May 20th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Colorado no longer allows out of state CCW holders to CC in the state at any time.

Incorrect! See CRS 18-12-213. Also, you can review the CCW laws at CBI's website.
www.cbi.state.co.us/ccw
www.cbi.state.co.us/ccw/reciprocity.asp

TheCopperCowboy
May 20th, 2009, 11:40 AM

I worked with a General Contractor from Utah who was a licensed CC, pistol instructor and hip carried a .45 S&W. We called the AC Sheriff over twice because the job we were on kept getting broken into and the last time, I had wire stolen. Both times they checked his CC card and then took our reports.

DADA_JEEP
May 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
Incorrect! See CRS 18-12-213. Also, you can review the CCW laws at CBI's website.
www.cbi.state.co.us/ccw
www.cbi.state.co.us/ccw/reciprocity.asp

i stand corrected, thank you