PDA

View Full Version : Electric tent heater?

theirishavenger
May 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM
So, I don't even want to mess with those gas tent heaters. So my thought was to find something that could run off a deep cycle for a couple hours, just to take the edge off in the evening, and in the morning. I thought about adapting one of those back seat heaters like you see in the Jeep catalogs, but wanted a solution that's a little less pricey. Anybody got ideas for an electric tent heater?

Chris

CYAN5DE
May 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I just run a hose from my exhaust pipe from my truck...works like a charm

Jeff Mason
May 4th, 2009, 06:26 PM
For taking the edge off, the Coleman Catalytic heaters are probably the best. I one pound cannister will burn for about 6 hours or so. using it for 30 minutes each night and morning would last almost a week.

Is there some reason you don't like those?

CYAN5DE
May 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I have one of the catalytic heaters as well, and it works decent I would say.

I was always pretty sketchy about heating a tent with anything gas and anything flame related though

Gunner
May 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I boil enough water to fill a Nalgene before I go to bed, throw it in the bottom of my mummy bag and it keeps me warm all night. I wouldn't trust a tent heater really, gas or electric. Mainly because I usually have my dog in the tent.

theirishavenger
May 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Is there some reason you don't like those?

Just real leery of the CO risk.....not sure how well your average tent vents with the rain fly on, and I have kids to worry about. Just would rather not mess with it if there's another option.

Jeff Mason
May 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Just real leery of the CO risk.....not sure how well your average tent vents with the rain fly on, and I have kids to worry about. Just would rather not mess with it if there's another option.

Understood.

I've used mine in all sorts of conditions, when camping in adverse conditions with the scout troop. Most tents are not so airtight that you would have to worry about anything, especially if you turn it on for 30 minutes before you enter the tent for bed, and turn it off as soon as you get in. I found that on extremely cold mornings (i.e. 10 below at night), by turning the heater on for about 10 minutes before climbing out allows me to get dressed in relative comfort. In a 9x9 tent, most of the heat rises to the top of the tent, but it is much more comfortable than getting dressed in -10 temps.

There were a few adults that would use the heaters all night long in their tents. Although I never understood that (once you are in the bag, there is no need to heat anything), they never had any problems with oxygen.

I'm just saying that if you cannot find anything else, a catalytic can be used safely.

springsman
May 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I boil enough water to fill a Nalgene before I go to bed, throw it in the bottom of my mummy bag and it keeps me warm all night. I wouldn't trust a tent heater really, gas or electric. Mainly because I usually have my dog in the tent.

x2 I boil it up, put it in bottle, and stuff it in my socks as insulation (the clean socks btw!) ...and when I get up in the a.m. my socks are nice and warm when I put em on too!

Mudbug63
May 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Not cheap but a 100% fresh air solution

http://www.4siteoutdoors.com/zohotvepoteh.html