PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Laptops

Suki
April 14th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Ours is on it's last leg and when I edit pics, upload to photobucket, facebook, shutterfly, whatever and get to work and look at them, they are craaaaaaaap! It looks great on the laptop, but any other monitor/computer they just look like poo.

Any suggestions on a good laptop strictly for photo editing? I've heard macs are great, but i've been PC since, well chit i can't even remember! lol!

thanks!

Mudbug63
April 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Ours is on it's last leg and when I edit pics, upload to photobucket, facebook, shutterfly, whatever and get to work and look at them, they are craaaaaaaap! It looks great on the laptop, but any other monitor/computer they just look like poo.

Any suggestions on a good laptop strictly for photo editing? I've heard macs are great, but i've been PC since, well chit i can't even remember! lol!

thanks!

The photo problem sounds more like a software or chair to keyboard interface issue. :D

I manage a IT dept for about 450 users that are all laptop based so I have some basis for my suggestions....All of the big names have a consumer line and business line of laptops and without a doubt you should spend the extra money and get a business grade laptop. The ruggedness and quality differences in the two lines are amazing in some cases.

We have experimented with Dells, HP/Compaq, IBM/Lenovo and Toshiba with varying results. Given the recent trends I would suggest either a Dell Latitude 630C or the Lenovo(IBM) T6(X) series, last one we have is a T61 but I think they are up to a T62 now. I prefer the Dell but it is a personal preference based on the keyboard layout.

Also if the OS is Vista and I don't think you have a choice anymore, get as much RAM as you can afford.

ColoradoSkier
April 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Not sure what your budget is, but I was looking at this one pretty seriously a few months back - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9166323&type=product&id=1218041149114

The 17" HP's are big, but if you aren't using an external monitor, I'd recommend going big...

Suki
April 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM
The photo problem sounds more like a software or chair to keyboard interface issue. :D

:lmao: it very well could be!

I don't have time at work right now, but if i get a chance at home this afternoon i'll post up a couple pics. I think i also just need to stay away from the "warmth" effect on Picasso, that seems to be too warm, lol!

Suki
April 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Not sure what your budget is, but I was looking at this one pretty seriously a few months back - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9166323&type=product&id=1218041149114

The 17" HP's are big, but if you aren't using an external monitor, I'd recommend going big...

eeesh, i know i'm gonna have to dish out bucks but definitely can't afford that one right now. But it sure is nice!

Jeffro600
April 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM
How much is your budget first off...?

Lots of options here but if your looking to stay under 1000, your gonna limit yourself alot on choices.

I have no problems using a PC for photo\video editing but i absolutely refuse to connect to the internet with one anymore...spyware, viruses, resource hogging anti-virus software...oh my!

Macs are out of the question unless your willing to spend more than 1000...and closer to 2000 for a dedicated photo editing rig. My last laptop was a 15" MacBook Pro and IMO, it was still too small for serious photo editing. I upgraded to a 24" iMac and havent looked back or regretted it once since then. The screen is just amazing...and to sit at another computer and then come use this one is just stunning. As far as photo editing goes, its about the best you can get without going to a totally custom, very high dollar setup.

I know HP has some 17" laptops out there for under a grand but i wont touch HP computers anymore...poorly built, feel very plasticky and cheap and the last one i had was nothing but a headache(overheated, screen flickered after a couple months of use, the gay touch buttons stopped working, etc). Their nothing more than a flashy, good looking computer that fails to perform or hold together in the long run IMO. Compaq i consider in the same boat. Some of the Dells are decent...as are Sonys but youll pay a couple hundred bucks more for a comparable one usually. Id be looking for a 17" model personally for photo editing...at a minimum. Dell would probably be your best bet for bang for your buck.

Also to add...part of the reason why when editing your photos and your looking at them on another computer and they look like crap is calibration. If the monitors are not calibrated, youll always see a different image on different computers. Calibration is the biggest and first thing that needs to be done to a computer thats even being considered for photo editing.

dallas
April 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I don't know if you are on the CSC forums or not, but there is a guy over there who sells decent laptops pretty cheap every once in a while...................

Suki
April 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
not on there as much since i don't have a sportbike anymore but I did send him a pm. thanks yo!

Suki
April 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
How much is your budget first off...?

Lots of options here but if your looking to stay under 1000, your gonna limit yourself alot on choices.

I have no problems using a PC for photo\video editing but i absolutely refuse to connect to the internet with one anymore...spyware, viruses, resource hogging anti-virus software...oh my!

Macs are out of the question unless your willing to spend more than 1000...and closer to 2000 for a dedicated photo editing rig. My last laptop was a 15" MacBook Pro and IMO, it was still too small for serious photo editing. I upgraded to a 24" iMac and havent looked back or regretted it once since then. The screen is just amazing...and to sit at another computer and then come use this one is just stunning. As far as photo editing goes, its about the best you can get without going to a totally custom, very high dollar setup.

I know HP has some 17" laptops out there for under a grand but i wont touch HP computers anymore...poorly built, feel very plasticky and cheap and the last one i had was nothing but a headache(overheated, screen flickered after a couple months of use, the gay touch buttons stopped working, etc). Their nothing more than a flashy, good looking computer that fails to perform or hold together in the long run IMO. Compaq i consider in the same boat. Some of the Dells are decent...as are Sonys but youll pay a couple hundred bucks more for a comparable one usually. Id be looking for a 17" model personally for photo editing...at a minimum. Dell would probably be your best bet for bang for your buck.

Also to add...part of the reason why when editing your photos and your looking at them on another computer and they look like crap is calibration. If the monitors are not calibrated, youll always see a different image on different computers. Calibration is the biggest and first thing that needs to be done to a computer thats even being considered for photo editing.

Well, after reading the posts so far, my budget wouldn't get me a box that the laptops come in! lol!

all very interesting points, thank you for the input. We were looking at getting a mac before when this one started acting up (it's over a year old and now ext. warranty) but it sounds like i'll have to make do with this for a while since we definitely can't afford a grand. But, atleast I know how much i need to save!

A friend of mine sent me a link that had different shades of white to gray to black and i adjusted my monitor so that i saw all 16 colors, but this effin laptop will dim right after starting it up. I found that if i go into Adobe Gamma in the control panel and adjust the setting in there, it's bright again, but as soon as i power down and back up, it's dimmed again. I dont even know what that adobe gamma is, but accidently clicked on it one night and voila! so its my temp fix for brightness for now.

I'll google calibration and see if its something i can do.

Thanks for all the info! Appreciate it. :)

Jeffro600
April 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Heres an option i found while perusing best buy earlier today...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9149414&type=product&id=1218036213682&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9149414

Not the biggest, fastest or best out there...but its got plenty of muscle for apps like photoshop, lightroom, etc and would still be plenty of computer for video editing and such. 4GB ram, decent hard drive space...the screen is a little small for serious photo editing but could be worked around...

potter
April 14th, 2009, 10:31 PM
A laptop, strictly for photo editing?

Why not get a desktop instead? I don't understand buying a dedicated photo editing machine, and going with a laptop. Desktop would be cheaper too.

Jeffro600
April 14th, 2009, 10:41 PM
A laptop, strictly for photo editing?

Why not get a desktop instead? I don't understand buying a dedicated photo editing machine, and going with a laptop. Desktop would be cheaper too.

Some like to have their cake and eat it too...and with an external monitor, its totally doable.

potter
April 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Some like to have their cake and eat it too...and with an external monitor, its totally doable.

It's absolutely doable. I ran my "desktop" off a laptop for two years.

Colorado 5.9
April 15th, 2009, 02:42 AM
HP has huge discounts on some of their laptops now. I think they are getting ready to release a whole new line of laptops soon. I just saved $850 with the discounts & a 30% off coupon on my dream laptop. An HDX16t". Build date is on the 22nd.

Here's a link to all the coupons there are right now. http://www.notebookreview.com/hp_coupon.asp

BLAZZIN
April 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM
If it were me I would buy a Macbook Pro, I bought a 17" MBP 3 years ago and have never looked back. I do tons of photo editing and it works flawlessly. The only downfall to the Mac is the price tag, but if you ask me it was well worth it since in 3 years I have not had one issue with it. Also with the new Macs you are able to run Windows on a virtual machine so you can still run programs like Auto Cad and GIS. I am actually looking at upgrading to the new 17" MBP soon do to the experiances I have had from my first one. And just so you know I had never used a Mac before my laptop, and it was an easy adjustment.

Tiffany
April 15th, 2009, 09:31 AM
If you want to drop about $500 I have the perfect laptop for you sitting under my bed hoping someone will use it again.

I got my Mac in December and since then my old laptop has sat pretty much unused. Has all the goodies (software) on it as it was my main computer.

Let me know if you want to take a look at it.

Suki
April 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Talked more about it with Alan aka "breadwinner" and we're going to try and fix the one we have first and see how that goes. Just paid off 2 credit cards so he's not too enthused at buying more stuff, lol!

what a responsible adult, blah!

potter
April 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Talked more about it with Alan aka "breadwinner" and we're going to try and fix the one we have first and see how that goes. Just paid off 2 credit cards so he's not too enthused at buying more stuff, lol!

what a responsible adult, blah!

What are it's specs? You could format it and install OSX on it. It'd be like have an Apple without the price of buying one.

Suki
April 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure, tomorrow i'm going to save all my crap to cd's and remove everything, including Vista then install XP on it and see what it does then. What's OSX? is it the operating system for Apple?

potter
April 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, OSX is Apple's operating system.