PDA

View Full Version : IFS Rock racer

zukstur
April 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM
This last weekend was the first XRRA event of the western series. The short rain shower in the morning made for some good dust controll and slick climbs. As most of you know Shannon Campbell and I are running IFS cars this season. They work great through the rock sections. MY new Jimmys 4x4 IFS car sits with 16" of belly clearence. I heard people committing that it was to low and it wouldnt make it through the bolders. At the end of the day it was Brad Lovel and I battling it out for first. I had 30 seconds on him going into the shoot out. On the first course Brad ran a flawless run and I hit a bolder wrong in the canyon shooting the car into the banner. after all was said and done Brad gained 19 seconds on me. On the second course it was Brads turn to get hung in the rocks and I had the oppertunity to turn in a fast two lap run spreading the gap back out to about 60 seconds. I lost the front locker at the start of the third course and we didnt have time all day to change it out, so I ran the last four courses with only a rear locker.

Levi Shirley was very fast and consistant in my old single seat Campbell car. He ended up with a third place. Not bad for a 16 year old kid.

Shannon missied the shootout by 6 seconds after taking out a banner.

Rick Deremo

SPY
April 13th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Congrats on taking the first win of the season! Jason and I got some great footage.

T3N5OR
April 13th, 2009, 10:51 AM
i noticed your front upper shock mounts are fatiguing fast, you might want to gusset those.

Congrats on the win!

Mcstiff
April 13th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Link to build?

architect1
April 13th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Congrats, I checked out the pics on Pirate and you do have a nice looking rig and to win with only rear locker, WOW. He is to you:beer::beer::beer:

never wheeled
April 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Rick,
What gear are you running in the pumpkins? You were the ONLY car that didn't bounce the limiter. Plus your car hooked while everyone else was air borne. Don and I were figureing that Shannon could have shaved that 6 seconds just with a taller gear.:beer:

BTW great driving Car's worthless without a pilot.

zukstur
April 18th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks

Shannon has 5:14, turbo 350, 3.0 atlas

I have 5:13 , 700R 4, 3.0 atlas.

I was in 4th on the long straight. 4th will hit the rev limiter at 59 mph in low range. I can drive alot faster in the new car, but this year I want to be consistant and smooth on all courses and not make dumb mistakes like last year.

Randy and Jason are going to make some changes to the rear shock mounts and add some bump stops so we can still run the ORI's on the plush side. The front mounts held up good to the changes made with the hoops. Were going to add some bracing to the lower A arm mounts just incase we bash into something. Over all I'm very pleased with the chassis and the way it handled. I could throw it into the corner and not worry about it unloading. I fell the four link we designed into the car is what helps it hook up. Its as stable as my old right hand drive four link subby buggy that Shawn Jackson bought.

I'm going to get a weight on the car this next week and I'll post it up here.

zukstur
April 23rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Got the car weighed today with out fuel but all other fluids are full and no driver.

LF 729 RF 839

LR 746 RR 664

Total is 2978 lbs.

I was thinking it would be around that 3100 lb mark when I saw that Shannons was 3379 with out driver.

Bigrockbronc
April 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised to see the weight where it is. I thought for sure the rear would be heavier being a rear engine. How much do you think the front ifs stuff weighs compared to a 9" or 60?

CHOPS
April 24th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I think having a 4th gear really helped.. I watched Rick pull ahead of Brad on the long straight away as Brad hit the rev limiter. He got hung up on the rocks in the second round and it cost him.. Brad had 5.14's, 3.0 Atlas, C4 and 37" KRT's. When I told Brad that you pulled ahead of him it fired him up and he now wants a 427 and a 4sp..

Congrats on the win Rick, you earned it!

zukstur
April 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks Roger,

The car pulls strong but were going to make some changes to the suspension to see if can get it to hook up just a little more.

Its a trade off between the solid and ifs for weight, Theirs a few things stuffed up under the hood which add weigh for the climbs. The thing that through me mas the right rear being lighter, the fuel cell is on that side above the transfer case.