PDA

View Full Version : Is Bigger Really Better?

Suki
April 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Megapixels that is. I've heard some people say it doesn't really matter but other's swear by having 10+ MPs.

Jeffro600
April 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM
To a point, yes.

8-10 is plenty IMO. It allows you good room to crop freely if you blow a shot usually and still offers plenty of resolution to print some incredibly huge pictures. Ive printed posters as large a 36x24 from my 40D(which is 10MP) and they were plenty sharp. A guy i did a photo shoot with last month does billboard ads and shoots with a 1D MKII and most of his ads are from pictures 5-7MP in size and are printed HUGE....like 30-40 feet wide and 20ish feet tall...and from 20-30 feet away, they look perfect.

Higher MP cameras are nice though because they do offer more room to crop BUT it usually comes at a price as shown by Canon last year as they tried to cram so many MP's into certain sized sensors that it actually degraded their image quality from their previous cameras.

So im going to vote "depends on what your doing with the pics"...because there is no definitive answer. 4-5MP would be plenty to do most of what i do...have a few extra doesnt hurt anything though as long as it can still retain good IQ.

Tiffany
April 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Agree with Jeff on this one.

My D700 is only 12.1MP...and does a great job of taking pics that can be printed poster sized if I want.

~tc~
April 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Also, for the same size sensor, more MP = smaller photosites, and they're getting to a point where the photosites are so small that not many photons hit them in low light.

Nikon and Fuji have done a pretty good job of showing higher image quality through a lower pixel count.

All that said, if you want big prints off of crops, you need some MP, so I vote "C"

Suki
April 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM
interesting, thanks for the feedback. I can't imagine that i would need more than 10, i'm already blown away by the IQ with the new camera and can't wait to get some of the images printed to see how those turn out. I just ordered a bunch of pictures from walmart that i took with my old camera and they are the sux.com! grrr!

Jake_Blues
April 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM
This thread had win written all over it, till I read it. I thought we were gonna see pictures Suki had taken of guys' junk next to rulers...

-E

ColoradoSkier
April 13th, 2009, 08:59 AM
This thread had win written all over it, till I read it. I thought we were gonna see pictures Suki had taken of guys' junk next to rulers...

-E

You need a blue star for that thread. :)

Suki
April 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
lmao, no i just take those types of pics on my phone and then have my phone stolen by some 14 year old punk and when i get the phone back the pics/videos are gone.

I'm sure somewhere on the internet my videos are alive and alan is famous and we still haven't seen one damn cent! bwahahhaha!