PDA

View Full Version : Scale crawlers

Cross
April 6th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I have been looking at these scale crawlers more and more. I think I might look into starting a new project.

Are there any crawling comps in the Colorado?

A cool video from Scale4x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YIy_H6J7jY

My first project I will hopefully get started this week will be a Snow cat.

newracer
April 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
There are lots of comps here in CO.

www.rccrawler.com

I have a Kyosho Snow Cat, brushless will be going in it later this week.

ColoradoSkier
April 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM
There are lots of comps here in CO.

www.rccrawler.com

How will the brushless handle the snow? Or is it sealed pretty well?

newracer
April 6th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Cab and body seals the electronics pretty well. Picked up a Castle Mamba Max and 5700 motor this evening. Going to run 3 cell lipo, it will be very fast.

XtremeXJ
April 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I have a traxxas summit and it is awesome (for muti use applications). It is not super slow like a true scale crawler, but does have both the front and rear selectable lockers. It is an awesome machine.

I also looked at the Axial, Venom Creepy and Clod Buster - before I purchased the Summit - I wanted a little more speed and the ability to run in the mud and water.

I just purchased a race modified Traxxas SLAYER (steal of a deal) today that has been converted from NITRO to Electric and is ready for the BRUSHLESS system to go into it. I am so stoked to get this thing up and running (hoping for 70mph + out of the 4x4 scale CORR beast), then it will be up for some indoor stadium racing. :)

Cross
April 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM

I have a Blizzard on the way. No plans for a brushless. It will get two crawler motors(one per track then a blade and a tiller to make a true snow cat out of it.

A snow cat without a blade seems pointless. The whole fun of a cat is moving the snow around.

ColoradoSkier
April 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I have a Blizzard on the way. No plans for a brushless. It will get two crawler motors(one per track then a blade and a tiller to make a true snow cat out of it.

A snow cat without a blade seems pointless. The whole fun of a cat is moving the snow around.

Looks like you are doing your homework (your post is first in Google for snowcat w/ blade) - but have you looked at things like this to see how they got them working?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HiAKRvR4wk

newracer
April 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Is yours the older model then?

All the blades I have seen have been hand made. Some with servos to control the lift and angle of the blade, pretty cool. I might go that route later on. For now I just move snow with rooster tails!!! :D

Cross
April 11th, 2009, 10:21 PM
The blizzard I bought is one of the newer ones.

My blade will be completly hand made. I started a few days ago and this is what I have so far.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/DH_Corky/IMAGE022.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/DH_Corky/IMAGE023.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/DH_Corky/IMAGE024.jpg

As for my research into how to get them working I have several ideas and have seen a few other R/C snowplows. Also staring at the back of the full size blade for 30+ hours a week has allowed me lots of time to problem solve.

With my Blizzard I want to eventually end up with a 1/10 scale version of a Bombardier BR 275.

newracer
April 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
How do you plan on running separate motors to each track and why?

Cross
April 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I will have to construct new drive axles. The biggest reason is power and it will give it better handling, along with more realistic handling. The original Blizzard(DX model) had two motors and was easy to make one motor power just one track. The biggest complaint about the newer Blizzards is how inconsistent the steering is due to the brake system that steers it.

newracer
April 12th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I glued some fibrous gasket material to the rotors on mine, seems to help with the braking. I also made sure the push rods for the braking are exactly the same. Seems like a lot of work for the dual motor setup. Brushless gives plenty of power.

Cross
April 12th, 2009, 10:30 PM
My goal is a true scale model. When it is all said and done I will more or less have a completely custom built machine. The chassis itself will end up narrower and longer. I will also end up switching the drive sprockets to the rear of the cat. I will be working with styrene to build a custom cab as the last thing to finish it off.

I also want it to work as realistic as possible. So high torque, slow speed, motors will be used. If the cat tops out at 12mph I will not care, as long as it can push a lot of snow.

Dagimp
April 13th, 2009, 08:59 AM
That video is nuts, I was watching it almost a full minute (no sound) before I was sure they were RC trucks.

Great job on the details.

newracer
April 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I think you'll need to add a lot of weight. From my experience torque is not limiting, traction is.

XtremeXJ
April 14th, 2009, 02:25 AM
That would be fun to get a group together and go run billings or something.... :)