PDA

View Full Version : Hot Laps at HPR on April 17- who is in?

scottycards
March 27th, 2009, 07:37 AM
There is a hot lap day on Friday, April 17th out at High Plains Raceway (http://www.highplainsraceway.com/index.html).

For the afternoon session, which starts at 12:30, cost is $90. Get on the site and pay to register.

It's a deal where you can just show up and run. Helmets and stock seatbelts are all that's required. No formal tech inspection, just have decent tires, make sure your battery is secured, and your car is not leaking any fluids.

I just signed up. Who else is in?

starbreaker666
March 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM
To expensive.

Steve
March 27th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Hmmmmm..... :evil:

THETODD
March 27th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Way too dangerous. After all I have a child..........

:D

Scott91MJ
March 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
can I bum a ride? unable to drive for the next month or so

Mcstiff
March 28th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I have the day off......to go to Vail for the weekend :banghead:

Malamute
March 28th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I was hoping to have my CO's and sway bar by now, but we just moved which has put a dent in my free time. I may sign up so I can run it w/ stock suspension and then I'll have something to compare to once the CO's and sway go on.

Thinking about it.........

How many cars is it open to?

Ghettojeep
March 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Crizzty crap I'm working in ft worth that weekend but I'll throw it my brothers way.

That's not a bad price for a day it seems

creepycrawler
March 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I finally went & looked at the track a couple of weekends ago after we did some fire & extrication training with the track guys. It looks like it would be a blast to drive on.

4Lo
March 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I might come out with my Z. Trying to decide if $90 is worth it...

scottycards
March 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Couple of things-

$90 is cheap. PPIR was >$150 to run this weekend.

4 hours, assuming you get there and running around 1PM, is a lot of time. You'll probably be done/tired after a couple of 15 minute sessions- trust me.

This isn't competitive. I'm sure there will be stock Jettas, etc. out there. This is just a way to get comfortable with your car. You can get on the track and go 40MPH if you want. Don't feel any pressure to be a fast guy out there.

I'm going to be on street tires, and not pushing it hard at all. I just want to get used to how the car feels on the new rubber- maybe 5 laps at a shot. I can't overheat my brakes or tires since this is just a shakedown for a race a week later- I can't break anything.

Whatever kind of car you have, if you just want to get a feel for how it is taking a corner a little fast, this is the deal for you. Much safer than the street, and no tickets get issued.

So come on out, and make a few laps. I've been around that track once, and it really is awesome. Don't feel intimidated by the "track" thing- it's just people having a little fun getting to drive our cars like we wish we could out on the street.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you're on the fence, just do it, and I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.

creepycrawler
March 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Already entered in a fishing tournament that weekend or I would have to find out if Scottycards would let a nonlib ride in his car for a lap or two. :flipoff2:

scottycards
March 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Already entered in a fishing tournament that weekend or I would have to find out if Scottycards would let a nonlib ride in his car for a lap or two. :flipoff2:

Oh hell yeah. I let Steve nav for me, afterall. :P

redcj7
March 29th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm planning on going. If you have never been on a track before, come try it. You will walk away thinking that is the best $90 you ever spent.

THETODD
March 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Wonder if they would let boggers run on their track? :D

starbreaker666
March 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
ANyone want to mooch me 90$?????? I have no intention of paying you back... hey at least im honest.

_CJ
March 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'd go down and get a new windshield installed so I could run......if I didn't have to work Friday night. Maybe next time.

scottycards
April 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Well, this ain't happening. Will post up when we reschedule..........

Stupid snow.

Mcstiff
April 16th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Maybe I can make the rescheduled event. NASA is there next weekend.

Hippie
April 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm glad because now maybe I'll get to go to the next one :P

Special Ed GT
April 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
What a weekend! I went out to the track on Friday to start tech for the NASA event and I was amazed to see some cars out on track. Luckily the track was just outside of the snow zone and we just got rain on Saturday and Sunday. We had a late start on Saturday and it was windy/cold with drizzle all day, but we still got some racing in. Sunday was great with sun and wind. Everyone seemed to have fun though, and everyone seemed to like the track. Can't wait to get back there.

Packman5280
April 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
wow I am so glad i saw this thread. I have a question though, reading the policies for HPR, I see that I need a helmet. That's fine, but I was wondering, I need to buy a motorcycle helmet soon when i get a bike, and I was wondering if I could use the motorcycle helmet when driving my car. I don't want to be that guy that shows up with the wrong helmet, but would also like to avoid buying two if possible. thanks.

Special Ed GT
April 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Great question. I'd suggest that you get a helmet with a Snell SA rating. That way your helmet will be approved for any of the motorsports that you are likely to participate in. When you go to buy a helmet, the Snell sticker can be found on the inside shell of the helmet. It will be gold/copper in color. You will need to move the liner around and search for it. An SA2005 rating will be the best because the rating lasts the longest.

Packman5280
April 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks!

scottycards
April 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Great question. I'd suggest that you get a helmet with a Snell SA rating. That way your helmet will be approved for any of the motorsports that you are likely to participate in. When you go to buy a helmet, the Snell sticker can be found on the inside shell of the helmet. It will be gold/copper in color. You will need to move the liner around and search for it. An SA2005 rating will be the best because the rating lasts the longest.

X2. All good info. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you get an SA helmet, understand that it may have a smaller eye opening versus an M rated helmet. Make sure the field of vision is going to be OK for riding your motorcycle- helmet eye openings will vary by brand, style, and manuf.

scottycards
April 30th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Since April 17 was snowed out, I'm going to the afternoon session at HPR tomorrow.

Hope some others can make it out!

creepycrawler
April 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Since April 17 was snowed out, I'm going to the afternoon session at HPR tomorrow.

Hope some others can make it out!

Phucker!!! I'll be at stoopid work tomorrow. I wanna ride.

scottycards
May 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Well, that was no fun at all.

What a great track. There's not a bump on it. They had two run groups, street cars and race cars. I ran with street cars, and had no problem keeping up.

Steep hills out there, fun to go up, and skeery to go down with braking at the bottom. A few off camber spots that keep your attn, and a good 120 down the front straight.

The cold weather was good for the cars, and tires.

Really fun. If you want to get a feel for the limits of your car, definitely go to one of the hot lapping days. It's totally casual and a lot of fun. Some Chrysler 300 SRT was out on the track, and he was keeping up! I couldn't believe it. Very cool.

For 90 bucks, I got to drive all I wanted, as fast as I wanted, and it was totally safe.