PDA

View Full Version : ammo gouging?

JR4X
March 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I went looking for some ammo today and the shelves were bare. The guy behind the counter told me "go talk to that guy". So upon talking to that guy (he worked there) he has all ammo in the trunk of his car for 5 bucks more a box for .40/.45and 10 more for .22 mag. Looks like he is buying all the ammo before it gets on the shelf so he can scalp it. FWIW 3 sporting goods stores and 2 walmarts = no ammo for me today. Is this happening any where else?

rokcrwlrtj
March 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM
What company. If its anyhting like most he could be fired on the spot for that.

Colorado_Baja
March 19th, 2009, 11:35 PM
What company. If its anyhting like most he could be fired on the spot for that.

X2, that is BS. :mad:

Jeffro600
March 19th, 2009, 11:44 PM
If he payed for it, i really see no reason why he can go peddle his shit elsewhere...keyword being elsewhere. Only a dumbass would advertise or sell it at work...but hey, thats Walmart for ya! FWIW though, its not BS...employees at pretty much any company, anywhere, will always get first pick of the shipments and as long as their paying for it, who cares who gets it? My ex worked at several discount chain stores and she would always call me, "hey, we just got these in so come buy them before someone else gets them..." Happens everywhere. It would be no different for me to go in and clean walmart out(which i have done on occasion) and then resell it for a higher price(which i also have done on occasion)...Supply and Demand baby!!

So dont be mad just cuz your not gettin any... :shrug:

74BuckinBronc
March 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
If the guy is selling out of his trunk on the premisis, I have an issue with that, but as I still don't think it's ethical at all to do what he is doing, I can't say that it doesn't happen. Aren't there legal issues here? Heck, if I found a cheap source for something and knew I could turn around and sell them for a profit, I probably would, but not out of my trunk in the parking lot.
I found the same thing, so I resorted to online resources.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/
www.cheaperthandirt.com
www.sportsmansguide.com

Best prices I found, and I ended up buying from the top one because they are the only ones that had any in stock. Buy in bulk if you can, it's not going to go down in price anytime soon.

J.D.

oldcjguy
March 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Selling the same products that his company sells out of his trunk on the premise while on the clock...

rokcrwlrtj
March 20th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Selling the same products that his company sells out of his trunk on the premise while on the clock...

Thats the issue.

Buy it and peddle it somewhere else on your own time.

Steel Dragon
March 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Competing with your employer on or off the job will, and should, get you fired

Trango
March 20th, 2009, 04:24 PM
To the best of my reckoning: Cheaper than dirt sold my name to, at last count, maybe a dozen companies whose mailing lists I'm now on. I am judging by both the demographics, and and all of these magazines are addressed to the same spelling and details I used for my CTD order.

Unimpressive. I will never shop with that company again.

Scott@Rockstomper
March 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM
CTD bought my name from somebody else.

Selling anything as a regular course of business requires a business license, sales tax license, etc.; selling ammunition also requires one of several classes of FFL.

And while competing with your employer may not be illegal, it certainly raises ethical red flags; breaking other laws to do it, is extraordinarily unwise.

Jeff Mason
March 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Seems to me that the profit he is making is kinda like a bonus.

Turn his name into congress and ask them to impose a 90% tax.

Loki
March 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hmmm Where is this car parked??? :evil::D

Jeffro600
March 20th, 2009, 05:25 PM
selling ammunition also requires one of several classes of FFL.

According to the ATF you only need a special license for manufacturing and selling...not just selling.

JR4X
March 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I dont want to get anyone in trouble, do unto others :shrug: So I wont say where, not like it matters though. The gun guy(S) behind the counter know about it and the guy himself had no reservations about it. If he is going to get into trouble he definately wont need my help to do it. They are probly all in it together.

I do think its kinda funny that no one has expendable income for comodities but ammo shelves are bare! About the only rounds I saw were 22-250. Any one know how much the new coded rounds are going to be?

rokcrwlrtj
March 20th, 2009, 10:15 PM
When will we start seeing the coded chit?

Mike Boyle
March 21st, 2009, 01:12 PM
I talked to a guy today that said he was at the Seria Manufacturing plant last week and they are running 24/7 turning out 5+million rounds a week and have zero inventory in their wearhouse. Everything being produced is sold before it is made. Its going from the assembly line directly to the shipping department and there is no sign of demand backing down.

potter
March 21st, 2009, 10:11 PM
I talked to a guy today that said he was at the Seria Manufacturing plant last week and they are running 24/7 turning out 5+million rounds a week and have zero inventory in their wearhouse. Everything being produced is sold before it is made. Its going from the assembly line directly to the shipping department and there is no sign of demand backing down.

So with the market as it is. How are shooting ranges able to keep stock for customers to use?

Gizmo42
March 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM
They charge more then most places so ppl dont go in and clean them out daily. They probably also limit how much you can buy.

Jeffro600
March 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
They probably also limit how much you can buy.

Ya know...ive never understood this whole limit thing...

If someone wants to clean you out, who the hell cares?!? Their still paying the same price as the next schmuck... :shrug:

potter
March 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM

If someone wants to clean you out, who the hell cares?!? Their still paying the same price as the next schmuck... :shrug:

At a range it makes sense. Your business is repeat customers, and customers experience using your range. So you sell it all to one person, you have one happy customer and then 49 unhappy customers who might not come back ever again.

At stores, or places just selling stuff though? :shrug: Never made any sense to me either.

ZappBranigan
March 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM

Sometimes people who buy ammo buy other stuff. No ammo to buy = no other stuff sold.

If someone bought all the milk at King Soopers, people looking for milk would go in, see that there was none, and leave, and go and buy their milk - and all their other groceries - at Safeway or Albertsons.

SBIUnlimited
March 23rd, 2009, 11:40 AM
JRX4.........come up to Cheyenne..............we gots lots of ammo up here. I was in Cabela's (Sidney) on Friday and the gun guy told me that Hornady is running 24-7 and is falling further and further behind on their orders. Cabela's prices were about 2 bucks a box higher than the prices here at the Cheyenne Walmart. I priced 25-06, 17 HMR, 45ACP and 22LR. Prices really vary in town here. Guns and Ammo store (small guy in town) was $10 a box higher on the 25-06 than Wallyworld........