PDA

View Full Version : CCW and LEOs

BumperMan
March 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
So I got pulled over yesterday. No big deal, I pulled a bonehead move and the LEO saw me. So when he comes to the window, I hand him my DL, Mil ID, and MY CCW permit. I kept my hands in the open and did not dig for my reg or insurance. He looked at my CCW, and asked if I had my weapon. I said yes sir. He then waked back to run my DL etc. I was polite and respectful, and admitted to being an idiot (the reason I was being pulled over). He was very calm and relaxed and very respectful back. Then he gave me a verbal warning and sent me on my way.

I asked him his opinion on what a CCW individual should do in this situation. He said that the way I handled it was perfect. It lets him know that there is a weapon, but that it is likely not a threat.

I know we have discussed this before, but I thought I would bring it up again.

rokcrwlrtj
March 15th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yup here in GA my buddy got pulled and did the same thing. Cops ask if there is a weapon. My friend says in the center console would you like to see it.

Cop laughs and says, "Naw boy I'll bet I'm quicker than you anyways."

dmeis
March 15th, 2009, 11:35 AM
It is interesting to see how people react to being stopped. You can usually tell something is going on when they motion that they have to get their wallet, then stop with hands in the air and ask if it's OK. Most people step up and acknowledge it right away. Either way I don't react and I always find out when I run someone.

However, if you don't tell me, I haven't ran you yet, then I see a gun... you are likely to shiart you pants.

I don't give advice either, I just let nature run its course.

Steve
March 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Dave, a question. What would most LEO's prefer? To have someone show them their CCW like Bud did, or not mention it.

On the rare occasions I've been stopped, as soon as I get pulled over I roll the window down and then put both hands on top of the steering wheel until the officer has walked up. I don't get the registration or anything else out until they're at the window and ask for it.

dmeis
March 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM
...I don't give advice either, I just let nature run its course.

:flipoff2:

Other LEOs like you to tell them. I don't care as long as you are a card carrying member. If you are an upstanding citizen then they have no business knowing you have it so why act freaked out. There is no law that requires you to inform. Bottom line is that I like it, but I wouldn't do it myself. I would tell the LEO that you are carrying, or have a firearm in the car, if you are ordered to get out.

I find it interested when people tell me they have a CWP but ARE NOT currently carrying. What is the point in that?

Have your ins. and reg. on your visor so that as soon as you stop you can reach up and have it. Then put your hands on the wheel. This says a lot about you. Don't waste his time and safety by having to dig for your stuff. If you make life easy for the LEO, they may be inclined to make life easier for you. The same thing goes for excuses. If you did wrong then stand up and take your medicine. If you make life easy for the LEO, they may be inclined to make life easier for you. Then again, some actions simply deserve to be documented regardless.

Pilot
March 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I find it interested when people tell me they have a CWP but ARE NOT currently carrying. What is the point in that?

I've never mentioned it, but it does show you've passed the CBI background check so are not a criminal.

BumperMan
March 15th, 2009, 07:18 PM
If I were not packing, I would not show it. that is just silly, but I don't want there to be any surprises. You guys have a hard enough job. I keep my Lic/Ins on top of the center console.

Jeffro600
March 15th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I would tell the LEO that you are carrying, or have a firearm in the car, if you are ordered to get out.

Same here...or if i need to access an area where i might have it stashed.

It really is non of their business if your carrying or not...IF your legal. Ive heard stories about ego trip cops flipping out due to concealed carry weapons that were legal...not that i believe all of them, but anythings possible.

Regardless...if there is a possibility they might see it, ill declare it. Otherwise, i have no intent on telling anyone im carrying.

PhantomD AKA Zach
March 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I have heard about some people getting warnings after showing their permit. So I would imagine thats why.

-Zach

newracer
March 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I would show it because they are going to find out anyways, might as well tell them. I have yet to be pulled over since getting my permit but I am sure it will happen eventually.

There is an officer (I forget what department but it is in the Denver area) over on Glock Talk that says when he pulls over someone who has a CCW and is carrying he asks them to get out of the vehicle, he then disarms them and pats them down.

boardsurfer
March 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM
:flipoff2:

Won't you find out that they are licensed when you run their DL? If so, would you rather know up front instead of having to approach the car again wondering if there is a weapon inside? :)

IH8PVMNT
March 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Everyone is aware in Colorado it is perfectly legal to have a loaded/chambered handgun (NOT rifle/shotgun) in the vehicle concealed or not concealed (ex: sitting on a seat) whether you have a CCW or not right? Assuming you can legally own the gun anyway :) That being said I would not bring it up to the officer unless he askes or it becomes a need to know item (ex being asked to step out of the vehicle).

And the officer will only know you have a CCW if the county you are registered in enters you into CCIC. Yup a criminal database and its up to your sheriff if they do that or not. Your CCW is not linked to your DL directly.

dmeis
March 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Won't you find out that they are licensed when you run their DL? If so, would you rather know up front instead of having to approach the car again wondering if there is a weapon inside? :)

You're ready for it the second time up. The first time would be the benefit.

A CWP tag alerts anytime you run someones DL.... The same exact way as it does with a warrant.... You get all excited, then read the page, and then the excitement obliterates. No joy.

I don't care to know. I am pro gun. I don't bring it up or say a word. It's none of my business...until I pull you out of the car... or if you decide to point it at me. :cowboy:

Often times I know before I walk up to the car. ;)

I like to think of it as bad guys don't want to draw attention to themselves....and if they are dumb enough to do that then they already have a record and can't get the membership card anyway.

Steve
March 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
There is an officer (I forget what department but it is in the Denver area) over on Glock Talk that says when he pulls over someone who has a CCW and is carrying he asks them to get out of the vehicle, he then disarms them and pats them down.

I'd be way pissed if this happened to me. If it's actually happening it's a pretty clear violation of the 4th amendment to the Constitution. :thumbsdown:

IH8PVMNT
March 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I'd be way pissed if this happened to me. If it's actually happening it's a pretty clear violation of the 4th amendment to the Constitution. :thumbsdown:

Yup unfortunately not all LEO's are created equal. Some are good, some are great, and some (seems like especially Denver) are not good. :thumbsdown:

oldcjguy
March 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I would love to see a statistic listing how many times officers get a gun pulled on them during a traffic stop, and then showing how many of those had a CCW. I bet the second number is very small in comparison to the first number. As an officer I would probably be inclined to believe that the person with the CCW is less likely to pull his gun on me than the guy carrying illegally.

BumperMan
March 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I said it earlier, I perfer for there to be no suprises between the officer an myself. I have held a CCW in 5 different states for a total of 13 years. In that time, I have been pulled over numorous times, and always showed the CCW when I am packing my weapon. The only time I have been disarmed was when a truck matching the discription of mine was reported stolen not far from where I was driving. The Trooper was very nervous approaching the truck, and stayed that way when I showed him my documents. Once he had me disarmed, and the problem was worked out (3 pieces of ID, a registration and insurance in my name) He was very calm, professional, and appologized for the delay and the trouble. In my life since leaving small town USA, I have had very little problems with attitude from LEOs. In my experience, I always get treated like I treat them. There are a few exceptions to this, but the vast majority of them have been as polite and respectful as I have been to them.

dmeis
March 16th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Sorry Steve, but no. It's an officer safety thing and quite legal.

After the contact the LEO must give back the firearm.

Steve
March 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM

I'd still be pissed. While legal, why would an LEO feel the need to remove a CCW holder from their vehicle, disarm, and pat them down??? :shrug:

If it was you I'd just slap ya. :flipoff2:

supremebeholder
March 16th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'd still be pissed. While legal, why would an LEO feel the need to remove a CCW holder from their vehicle, disarm, and pat them down??? :shrug:

If it was you I'd just slap ya. :flipoff2:

So the cop is a jerk for doing his job?

newracer
March 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM

After the contact the LEO must give back the firearm.
If I have to disarm then he should too. ;)

Steve
March 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Is it a law he must remove a CCW holder from a vehicle, disarm him, and pat him down?

I think not. ;)

supremebeholder
March 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
You wouldn't be inconvenienced if you didn't get caught hauling ass down some twisty canyon road. Just sayin'.

:P

ZappBranigan
March 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Yes, apparently. (http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=144412) ;)

Steve
March 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM
You wouldn't be inconvenienced if you didn't get caught hauling ass down some twisty canyon road. Just sayin'.

:P

:D

The only ticket I've gotten in the last 10 years was for speeding 10 mph over the limit westbound out of the tunnel on I-70. I was in my Dodge CTD pickup. :shrug:

Yucca-Man
March 17th, 2009, 09:56 AM
And the officer will only know you have a CCW if the county you are registered in enters you into CCIC. Yup a criminal database and its up to your sheriff if they do that or not. Your CCW is not linked to your DL directly.:thumbsup: to the Sheriff's who have decided there's a little too much registration going on and who have elected to keep their CCW lists closed.

Scott@Rockstomper
March 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I volunteered that I was carrying at a traffic stop because I figured there was a chance of pulling up my jacket far enough to make the gun visible, when I reached back for my wallet to retrieve my license. I didn't want the officer thinking I was going for the wrong thing there. :eek:

Having lic/reg/ins already out or in immediate reach is probably a better policy, but I don't have a visor pocket in my truck, so I keep it right on top of the rest of the crap in the glovebox. I guess one of those giant visor paperclip things would probably work there in lieu of a pocket.

The officer in question noted specifically that he appreciated me having everything handy quickly, as opposed to sticking him with standing by the side of the truck next to the interstate while I dug through the entire contents of my truck trying to find it.

DADA_JEEP
March 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
terry v. ohio makes it legal for an LEO to pat you down for officer safety, the only thing needed is reasonable suspicion that you might be armed, so when you gave the officer your CCW you gave him reasonable suspicion that you might be armed.