PDA

View Full Version : Springtime in Gunnison/Crested Butte?

_CJ
March 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Thinking about renting a cabin outside of Gunnison this spring, but kind of concerned about the weather up there that time of year.

Anyone have any experience with the area?

How are the reserviours for fishing that time of year? How about trails in Crested Butte for hiking/biking?

zoriloco
March 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Ive heard Lost Lake Campground, West Elk Mountains is an awsome place for camping, fishing and hiking. Dont know how the weather is right now.

Pics by clicking the view slide show at the bottom of the trip report

http://aroundcolorado.com/trip_reports/2004_0601_LostLake/index.html

Jeff Mason
March 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Pagin Colin...

He may be on Spring Break, but he's familiar with the area.

What part of spring are you talking about? March, April, early May? Advice and access to areas will be dependent on your answers.

_CJ
March 11th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Probably late April or early May.

Jeff Mason
March 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Ive heard Lost Lake Campground,

X2. Quiet, peaceful and beautiful.

By the way, did you know that there used to be a rather large lodge up there with cabins??? It burned down in the early 80s, IIRC.

It was a shame, because it was one of those great looking 'real' log cabin lodges with a few out cabins for rental...

Colin
March 15th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Thinking about renting a cabin outside of Gunnison this spring, but kind of concerned about the weather up there that time of year.

Anyone have any experience with the area?

How are the reserviours for fishing that time of year? How about trails in Crested Butte for hiking/biking?

How far outside of Gunni are we talking about here? There are some nice cabins right outside of town but if your making a long trip of it you might want to stay in Almont.

The weather is mild right now, 40-50's during the day, teens-20's at night, April may your gonna be looking at 20-70's during the day. There is still snow on 95% of the hiking trails in both Gunnison and CB, last year in May nearly nothing was thawed but then again we had record snowfall, this year has been much more mild. I imagine most trails will be open, possibly wet though.

How long of hiking trips are you looking for? Kids?

And for the biking....experience level?

The fishing that time of the year is excellent, if you have a boat I recommended Blue Mesa, no boat Taylor reservoir.

Any specific questions feel free to ask, I have quite a few connections with local guides that know the area even better than I do.

_CJ
March 16th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Thanks Colin, I booked a cabin in Almont last week. Driving the Scout with the canoe on top and the bike inside. Hope to catch a few fish and ride some trails. Even if we just end up sitting in the cabin and watching it rain, it'll be nice to get out of town for a while.

I've ridden most of the trails around Crested Butte and a few around Gunnison, but not for several years and not in the spring. I remember one year (1994?) some of the trails were closed on the 4th of July because of an avalanch. :eek: That's what got me wondering what would be open in the spring.

Hopefully Cottonwood Pass will be open. I always liked driving to Crested Butte that way.