PDA

View Full Version : Archery and weightlifting

RebelRescuer
March 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I'm currently on a 50-60 for poundage. I don't want to go below that, but not sure I can do it all day. Since I'm doing some light weightlifting anyway, what would be some good exercises to make that poundage more comfortable for shooting longer?

Brutus
March 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Honestly, just shoot the bow more and more each day and you will develop the muscles you need to stabilize the bow and hold the draw weight. Believe it or not, archery is a form of weightlifting on its own. Shoot until your muscles are sore... wait a couple of days and then shoot again until your muscles are sore. Repeat.

EDIT: the more I think about it, upper back exercises would probably help IF they had to be done in the gym. It's hard to say though because you really NEED to develop all the muscles for archery together. If you overdevelop some muscles and not others your accuracy will probably go down for awhile if you know what I mean.

Thinking back to when I started... at first I could only do about 45 minutes at a time at the range. When I put my bow down for the last time I could go for hours and not feel a thing. Hope this helps.

MonkeyBomb
March 9th, 2009, 08:39 AM
If you are tryimg to tone up while not being able to shoot. Arm chest and upper back workouts will help. Think bent over dumbell rows. Uses alot of the same muscles but not as many of the stabilizer muscles. If you hit the whole upper body it should help. When I stayed in great shape I was almost always dead on when shooting. Now that i'm fat and lazy it takes me a few weeks to get back into the zone.

Jeffro600
March 9th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Brutus pretty much has it...shooting would be the best exercise you can get. Plus it will help you develop better accuracy at the same time.

Start small...30-45 mins, 3-4 times a week. Add 5-10 mins every week.

I need to dig my bow out, give it a tune-up and start shooting again...havent for probably 6-7 years!

BumperMan
March 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Honestly, just shoot the bow more and more each day and you will develop the muscles you need to stabilize the bow and hold the draw weight. Believe it or not, archery is a form of weightlifting on its own. Shoot until your muscles are sore... wait a couple of days and then shoot again until your muscles are sore. Repeat.

EDIT: the more I think about it, upper back exercises would probably help IF they had to be done in the gym. It's hard to say though because you really NEED to develop all the muscles for archery together. If you overdevelop some muscles and not others your accuracy will probably go down for awhile if you know what I mean.

Thinking back to when I started... at first I could only do about 45 minutes at a time at the range. When I put my bow down for the last time I could go for hours and not feel a thing. Hope this helps.

If you are tryimg to tone up while not being able to shoot. Arm chest and upper back workouts will help. Think bent over dumbell rows. Uses alot of the same muscles but not as many of the stabilizer muscles. If you hit the whole upper body it should help. When I stayed in great shape I was almost always dead on when shooting. Now that i'm fat and lazy it takes me a few weeks to get back into the zone.

Yup Yup!!!

Work on your shoulders. Why are you at the 50-60 lb range? Are you shooting a bow with a lot of let-off? I shoot about 40 on my recurve, and 55 on my compound which has about 85% let-off. (that is what I was shooting before I ruined my shoulder and had to give up the bow.

markd79ta
March 9th, 2009, 11:08 AM
My last bow I purchased was a Ben Pearson in 1990 with XX75 2317s (80lbs can't remember the let off). My two previous bows were a Bear and Proline on the compound side and a 72lb Proline Recurve.

Things sure have changed (a lot)

Anyhow, being a body builder helped me pull that beast back. However, most of it is just practice with the bow. Even at the height of body building, I felt it when I didn't shoot for awhile.

Exercises (lats, shoulders, bi's and tri's)

lats (dumbbell rows bent over with one arm on the bench, seated cable rows, lat pull downs)
shoulders (seated dumbbell raises w/arm 90 degree lift to when your full arm is parallel to the floor at a 90 degree angle (light weight only), seated military)
biceps (curls with dumbbells and full extension)
triceps (cable push down from full extension to 100 degrees to full extension)

Do 2 sets of 20 (can do 3 sets of 12) 2x20 is more of a conditioning and toning routine.

You should do something for chest as well, pushups or dumbbell presses while laying on the bench. Always do opposing muscle groups so that you don't create an imbalance...which will tear up your shoulders.

good luck

Trango
March 9th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I keep trying to work a joke that invokes the Bowflex machine.... but I can't really pull it off.

kmon35
March 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM
A Capt. at work, who is considered our bow guru, told me to shoot 20 times three times a day for 2 weeks. This was before we would touch the sights. He told me if I could do that with the correct form, we would know where I was shooting, and could adjust the sights accordingly.

Needless to say, I couldn't do it for the first few days. I could do 20, 18, and then 12-14. It took me the first full week just to be able to shoot the 20 and 3.