PDA

View Full Version : Are double guns legal for CO blackpowder seasons?

Trango
March 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking about tags to put in for, and I'm considering a blackpowder season... and I also thought about what to shoot, and it would be nice to have more than one shot.

I know Kodiak makes a double barrelled blackpowder rifle.

Are these legal for our BP seasons, and does anyone know how how well these would go over? Even conjecture would be welcome. :D

Best,
Bob

Jeffro600
March 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Good question...although, from what ive heard, black powder is black powder, no matter how you slice it.

I know guys that can accurately fire off 8-10 shots in a minute with blackpowder rifles once properly setup...does that mean they couldnt hunt? :P

Trango
March 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
OR you could tube a 12 ga coach gun, and carefully "smith" some disks on the back to take a percussion cap. Who knows if the barrels would be regulated, but that would be part of the fun.

Could you do this? I know there are guys who have turned coach guns into double rifles?

Trango
March 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I know guys that can accurately fire off 8-10 shots in a minute with blackpowder rifles once properly setup...does that mean they couldnt hunt? :P

True, but 6 seconds is alot longer than .5 seconds. :)

Check this out.

http://www.glockworld.com/item/2768_EAA_Barrels__Choke_Tubes_EAA_45-70_BBL_KIT_FOR_IZH43_12GA_20.aspx

You could gundrill this out to 50 cal (or heck, just use 45 cal balls).

I don't know if the twist would work - I suppose if you had to push a button through 2 barrels, this would cease to become feasible.

You'd still need to work out something to hold a percussion cap, but that's not that hard in theory.

Trango
March 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
oh these are awesome.

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

Cheap coachgun + cheap inserts + some sort of obturator disks to hold percussion caps = victory?

Jeffro600
March 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Lots of loopholes in the blackpowder hunting scene. You seen those new ones from Savage that can shoot smokeless powder without a cartridge? You load it just like blackpowder but it shoots with more velocity and almost no cleanup.

Trango
March 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Someone take this internet away from me. I am clearly up to no good tonight.

Trango
March 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Lots of loopholes in the blackpowder hunting scene. You seen those new ones from Savage that can shoot smokeless powder without a cartridge? You load it just like blackpowder but it shoots with more velocity and almost no cleanup.

Interesting. The last time I shot BP was Philmont 20 years ago... so I don't really have a solid fix on the scene - thanks for the heads up.

Steve
March 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Bob, from the 2009 CO Big Game Hunting Regulations (http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/3F234E0F-9A7E-4E36-9263-7DE1CE74B424/0/index_information.pdf) on page 7 about muzzle loaded rifles:

b. Must be single barrel...
h. Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzleloading seasons.
i. Cannot be loaded from the breach in muzzleloading seasons.
j. Only open or iron sight allowed in muzzleloading seasons.

In the last few years CO has cracked down a bit on what's legal during muzzleloading seasons, and they're talking about tightening it even more, like banning rifled barrels. Now, if you want to use a muzzleloader during rifle season, it's much less restrictive.

So, to answer your original question about whether a double barrelled black powder rifle is legal to use during "black powder" season in CO: NO, it is not.

Trango
March 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Ok. This is good, because I was looking at used coach guns this morning and wondering about this. I even found one with external hammers. :evil:

I had already thought about how to cap a barrel adapter and add a boss to accomodate a percussion cap. It would actually be straightforward enough and I think it would be easy to make it strong to hold the blackpowder-level of energy at the breach. If I didn't have 10^6 projects already lined up, this would be a fun thing to try.

It's very interesting that there is talk of further restricting muzzle loaders. IMO, there are so many refinements to these that they're approaching the performance of saboted slugs in a rifled 12ga deer barrel. When you talk of Scopes on BP guns, you are basically looking at a medium range rifle. This is not to say they are tackdrivers but this echelon of armament will far outperform archery, creating a conundrum in a season whose whole premise is to require some sacrifice to enjoy easier hunting conditions.

Thanks for tracking this information down for me, Steve. I promise not to besot any of your threads with talk of zombies.... for at least the forseeable future.

Best,
Bob

'72 Rambo
March 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Colorado has the strictest requirements of any western state concerning muzzle loaders and hunting. The easiest way to think of it is,"If it's legal somewhere else, it probably isn't here."
Although some of the regs, like no pelletized powder, are a little over the top, I tend to agree with them. There are high tech muzzle loaders out there that can drop and elk at 200 yards plus. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of a 'primitive' firearms season.

Hippie
March 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
If you need more than one shot then you should not hunt, period :flipoff2:

Steve
March 7th, 2009, 07:09 PM
It's very interesting that there is talk of further restricting muzzle loaders. IMO, there are so many refinements to these that they're approaching the performance of saboted slugs in a rifled 12ga deer barrel.

That's precisely why they're talking about limiting it further. They're approaching the ballistics of high powered rifles, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a separate black powder season.

Thanks for tracking this information down for me, Steve. I promise not to besot any of your threads with talk of zombies.... for at least the forseeable future.

Best,
Bob

Talk of zombies in any thread is not something I stress over Bob. ;)

:beer:

dapozer
March 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM
That's precisely why they're talking about limiting it further. They're approaching the ballistics of high powered rifles, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a separate black powder season.

Talk of zombies in any thread is not something I stress over Bob. ;)

:beer:

Did I hear ZOMBIES :)

Yes even us zombie hunt the powder. Looking forward to another year shooting with smoke.
s

Griz
March 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM
the whole idea about the muzzle loading season in colorado was being a primative season, not just about being a muzzle loader, that's why colorado has such strict regulations on it.

if you want to hunt in the regular rifle seasons with a muzzle loader you can and it does not have to meet the primative requirements. you'll have to deal with the over crowded areas though.

shotgunchris
March 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Buy a used .50 Caliber Thompson Center Hawken and put the balance of the money away for that 12 Gauge O/U you're going to need. :D

Trango
March 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
That's all part of the big plan, Chris. :)