PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Weapon Carry Class (Colorado Springs)

GrandWheeler
March 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hello,
So I am about to take a conceal carry class at Whistling Pines gun club in order to qualify for my concealed carry permit but have heard that this class is not worth the expensive $125 per 3 hours of class price tag.

Has anyone had luck with others who offer a similar class? Good/Bad experiences?

Thank you,
Ryan:)

ZappBranigan
March 5th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hello,
So I am about to take a conceal carry class at Whistling Pines gun club in order to qualify for my concealed carry permit but have heard that this class is not worth the expensive $125 per 3 hours of class price tag.

Has anyone had luck with others who offer a similar class? Good/Bad experiences?

Thank you,
Ryan:)

$125 is about what most of the CCW classes will cost, so the issue of whether it's "worth it" comes down to whether you need to get the CCW or not.

I didn't have to take the class since I had a DD214 that was less than 3 years old but if you need the class in order to get the permit, then you need the class. 3 hours for $125 may seem like a lot but would you rather spend all day in a class just so you can say you got your "money's worth?" The question then is "how much is your time worth?"

3 hour class means you can take it in the evening during the week and don't have to set aside a weekend.

What is a free weekend "worth" to you? ;) It's worth a lot to me but YMMV. :shrug:

Keyton
March 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Whistling Pines is an outstanding facility and the people there are great - so I won't knock either.

My wife took her class recently here and found it very informative: Personal Defense Institute (http://www.thepdi.org/index.html). CCW class was $75. I'm going to take his advanced class at Cactus Flats later this spring.

GrandWheeler
March 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
A coworker of mine just told me that the general hunter education class is a valid substitution. I have been meaning to take this class anyways, and for $10 cost isn't even an issue.

Does anyone know is this is true?

Keyton
March 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
A coworker of mine just told me that the general hunter education class is a valid substitution. I have been meaning to take this class anyways, and for $10 cost isn't even an issue.

Does anyone know is this is true?

http://shr.elpasoco.com/Support+Services+Bureau/Concealed+Handgun+Permit.htm

Yes, the Hunter Safety course meets the requirements. However if you need a better understanding of Colorado firearms laws and the legal use of deadly force in Colorado, I'd suggest a CCW course.

Dagimp
March 5th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Resource to locate one in/near Aurora?

Keyton
March 5th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Resource to locate one in/near Aurora?

PDI listed above teaches in Denver frequently but I don't know the exact venue.

ToyRunner1
March 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Ryan,
the current, and former, El Paso County Sherrifs have accepted the hunter safety as long as it was taken within the past 10 years. The hunter safety is required if you want to hunt in Colorado if you were born after a certain year, so it is worth getting. As Keyton said though, a real concealed carry class will give you a lot of information. I took mine from Brandon Kirk at Colorado Handgun Safety. They were excellent, and only $75.