PDA

View Full Version : Rock Climbing?

DETN8R
March 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM
I'm still trying to get into climbing. Been trying to get to the climbing gym as often as possible. Anyone else into rock climbing?

mike_wiz
March 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Yea but my buddies I used to do it with have all flaked out lately, and they had all the expensive equip!

DETN8R
March 6th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I just want to start buying some equipment to start setting up top ropes.

ArloGuthroJeep
March 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
My GF and I started getting back into it last summer...we have all of the equipment, but we were so busy last summer we only got up climbing a few times:/

osue077
March 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM
My brother and I used to go alot in highschool but I haven't for a long time. My favorites places to go used to be North table mtn and Morrison

zoriloco
March 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
What kind of gear do you need and how expensive is it?

mrutledge
March 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
What kind of gear do you need and how expensive is it?

The minimum gear needed for top-rope climbing is a a copy of "mountaineering, freedom of the hills", a harness, shoes, belay device, a couple of slings, a couple of carabiners, a rope, and a place to go with easily accessible bolted anchors.

Assuming all new gear (as it should be) it'll be about $500.

A basic set of nuts and cams will add another $500. Filling in the "missing" stuff will add another $500-$1000. Getting the rack built up to climb the splitters in Utah will add another $1000-3000 depending on how many friends you have.

Be safe out there and check your knot.

-Matt

zoriloco
March 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
The minimum gear needed for top-rope climbing is a a copy of "mountaineering, freedom of the hills", a harness, shoes, belay device, a couple of slings, a couple of carabiners, a rope, and a place to go with easily accessible bolted anchors.

Assuming all new gear (as it should be) it'll be about $500.

A basic set of nuts and cams will add another $500. Filling in the "missing" stuff will add another $500-$1000. Getting the rack built up to climb the splitters in Utah will add another $1000-3000 depending on how many friends you have.

Be safe out there and check your knot.

-Matt

Well that take's Rock climing out of the pic. I just got all my gear for snow shoeing and cant spend more on money on toys no more.

:(

mrutledge
March 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Well that take's Rock climing out of the pic. I just got all my gear for snow shoeing and cant spend more on money on toys no more.

:(

If you just want to give it a try, check into one of the local guide services. Bob Culp has been climbing around here longer than most of us have been alive. Then there's that school in Estes...

Lots of options for a day here or there.

-Matt

ArloGuthroJeep
March 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Or hit up a rock climbing gym if you want to test it out in a bit more controlled environment.

zoriloco
March 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Gym? You mean like REI?

mrutledge
March 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Gym? You mean like REI?

Not really. More like this: http://www.rocknandjamn.com/

-Matt

ArloGuthroJeep
March 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah...or Boulder Rock Club. I am sure there are others. But they are indoor climbing gyms.

zoriloco
March 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Cool.

DETN8R
March 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I have a membership at Rock'n and Jam'n. Its a cool place.

DETN8R
March 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
So I was able to use my REI dividend to get a climbing rope today. Anyone care to show a newb the ropes?(pun intended)

xjmatt
March 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
So I was able to use my REI dividend to get a climbing rope today. Anyone care to show a newb the ropes?(pun intended)

I already saw the book 'Freedom of the Hills' mentioned and it really is a great resource. Just remember that you are dealing with life and death when it comes to ropes and riggings. Treat every rigging you setup that way and you'll be just fine.

Depending on where you are I'd be happy to catch up and do some rope work. I'm in Lakewood and I've been looking for an excuse to head out to North Table Mountain above Golden and do some climbing after work. It's nearby, has bolted/chain anchors at the top, and has walking access to the top. Makes for very easy rigging scenarios, safe rigging, and easy to get in lots of climbing with minimal futzing around.

This week might not be the best with the last blast of winter weather moving in but just about any day that it gets up to 50F is great to climb there. I don't go there in the summer as the heat is oppressive IMO.

DETN8R
March 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
I'm pretty much in the Lakewood area to. Let me know. I still need to buy some webbing and slings.

xjmatt
March 24th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I'm pretty much in the Lakewood area to. Let me know. I still need to buy some webbing and slings.

I'm out of town this weekend but how's early next week sound? If you don't get around to buying webbing/slings don't sweat it, I have lots :) In fact I'd say hold off on buying them so you see what this area is like and you can choose the best gear for the location.

A lot of times you'll find you'll bring rigging according to what area you plan to climb at. In the case of table mountain it's bolts/chains so slings, locking D's, and a cordellete is all you need. Webbing comes in handy when you have anchors (Trees often) further back from the top and you need to make a long run.

DETN8R
March 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Unfortunately I work during the week.

mrutledge
March 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM
You mentioned you had a membership at Rockn and Jamn. They sometimes have anchor clinics, intro to outdoors clinics and self rescue clinics.

The information in the self rescue clinic is priceless and can apply to lots of different situations.

The other clinics were more rudimentary than what I needed at the time, so I didn't attend, BUT they'll help you get acquainted with the environment and get some hands on experience in a somewhat controlled environment.

-Matt

xjmatt
March 25th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Unfortunately I work during the week.

Sunset is what, 7:30PM or so now? If it's close enough to be there by 5PM then 2.5 hours of climbing will probably be enough for the first day out! Just sayin.

Let me know when works best and I'll see if it works in my schedule.

TitanV
March 26th, 2009, 12:46 AM
CMC offers classes for rock climbing as well.

www.cmc.org

DETN8R
March 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks Titan. I PM'd you xjmatt

DETN8R
June 23rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
So me and the GF got out this Sunday and went down to Castlewood Canyon. Climbed a 5.7 on Grocery Store Wall. Rigged up what I'm thinking was a typical top rope setup using a sliding X clipped to two chains on two anchors. Asked some other trad climbers there if it looked good and they said it did. Had tons of fun.