PDA

View Full Version : ABC News: Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

OrangeCrush
February 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder (http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6905255&page=1) said today.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

JR4X
February 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
WTF WGAS about the gun problem in mexico? Ban a weapon here to help out the police in another country?

potter
February 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM
WTF WGAS about the gun problem in mexico? Ban a weapon here to help out the police in another country?

I thought that was weird too :shrug:

Dagimp
February 26th, 2009, 08:52 AM
:mad:

ZappBranigan
February 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Ummm, no, it's called "desperately grasp at the only possible justification for your proposed legislation even if it's flimsy and makes no sense."

Also known as "politics 101." ;)

Oscar
February 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
This surprise people how? You knew he would does this and its just the start but yea love this guy all you want.

Stumpalump
February 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM
To help Mexico??? How about subsidising them to help Americans protect themselfs from Mexicans? Obama sucks.

Griz
February 26th, 2009, 09:21 AM
<insert sarcastic obama remark here>
that's all i'll say

Loki
February 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Yea really, anybody surprised by this is either a complete moron or hasn't been paying attention. :rolleyes:

creepycrawler
February 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
This surprise people how? You knew he would does this and its just the start but yea love this guy all you want.

But, but, but....the libs kept telling us that we were fools for buying guns & stocking up on ammo & said we were all just fear mongers.

CLYDE
February 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Suprise, suprise, suprise (in my best gomer pyle voice)

Nope not surprised in the least here, and Hey this is within the first month of his presidency, but of course the libs excuse on the economy thing, is Oh well give him time, he hasnt had time to do anything yet,,,Uh huh, hes doing things allright, but not anything that I can see thats good for this country:shrug: I have really been biting my toungue a lot lately, and trying to stay out of the obamabash threads. I really hoped he would try to do some good,, but looks like that was entirely wishful thinking... To bad for US

Keyton
February 26th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Distraction (economy) + Agenda (gun confiscation) + Excuse (Mexico) = Opportunity

je4wdep
February 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM
And so it starts......All the talk from Obama about how he supports the 2nd admendent and all that........BS, I say. He'll do whatever his troops want. His cabinet is FULL of anti-gunners. THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING FOLKS !!!!!

That deer hunting rifle you own......that's a sniper rifle. Better ban that, too.

That semi-auto high capacity pistol......better ban that, too.

HaHa......all the people that drank the Brobama kool-aid.......and own guns. Too bad for you.

Keyton
February 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I like what I heard from someone else: Holder should be tried for perjury as he recently testified before the Senate that this wasn't on their agenda. I won't hold my breath on that....:rolleyes:

Clint
February 26th, 2009, 09:55 AM
sigh....punish the law abiding people. As shown in the past, this wont do ANYTHING to prevent anything, but it will help gun sales for a while for us honest folks...

bsaunder
February 26th, 2009, 09:56 AM
yup - that assault weapons ban will sure keep the automatic weapons and grenades out of the Mexican gangs hands.... :rolleyes:

OrangeCrush
February 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM
buy early and buy often

SCAMPER ZJ
February 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I'm not surprised that this is happening, just that it's happening so quickly. I have to hand it to this administration, they move at lightning speed on pretty much everything they do.

It's funny though, the example they use in the article for the rational behind it is that Mexico is getting "readily available" weapons from the US. Automatic weapons. If I'm not mistaken, automatic weapons have been illegal for sale in the US (unless you have a special license) since 1986.

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
The Ban Expired in 2004 During the Bush Administration.
By JASON RYAN
WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009—

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

markd79ta
February 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Yep, trillions of debt in one month and now this. What a bunch of scum!

newracer
February 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

Take your people back and we will take our guns back.

Loki
February 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Why did this need to be moved? Isn't it possible CO4x4 members that don't visit the firing range on a regular basis might be interested in this story and like to comment?

Not trying to stir up shit just asking.

rubbersidedown
February 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Why did this need to be moved? Isn't it possible CO4x4 members that don't visit the firing range on a regular basis might be interested in this story and like to comment?

Not trying to stir up shit just asking.

It's safer here! It has a better chance of not going to shite here than in chit chat!

newracer
February 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Think of it this way, it will drive up prices and stimulate the economy. :rolleyes:

Steve
February 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
It's safer here! It has a better chance of not going to shite here than in chit chat!

Evidently not based on the post I just deleted.

BumperMan
February 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Potter, Paging Potter.

The gauntlet has been thrown down, I want to hear your take on this one. Please explain to me how this is OK.

KINSPINZ
February 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Not shocked at all, just the beginning. Just as i thought some of the AR prices were going down.

henpecked
February 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM
theobamaforum.com

Take a few minutes and look

newracer
February 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I thought they were too busy fixing the economy and health care?

markd79ta
February 26th, 2009, 12:21 PM
theobamaforum.com

Take a few minutes and look

What a bunch of loons. I like the "Keep an eye on our enemies" section with orders for people to report those with dessenting opinions of the oh holy bama lama ding dong. Opps, I might get reported...oh darn!

ZappBranigan
February 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Potter, Paging Potter.

The gauntlet has been thrown down, I want to hear your take on this one. Please explain to me how this is OK.

+1 on this. I want to hear from all the Obama-supporting gun owners who assured us that the Obamessiah wouldn't take our guns away.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z256/ZappBranigan/Misc%20pictures/WHERE_IS_YOUR_GOD_NOW.jpg

Keyton
February 26th, 2009, 01:05 PM
FWIW:

Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban
By Mike Soraghan
Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM EST

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats’ reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat “no” when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.

linky (http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelosi-tosses-cold-water-on-reviving-assault-weapon-ban-2009-02-26.html)

Loki
February 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Potter, Paging Potter.

Page Sweater, while your at it.

Yucca-Man
February 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
And so it starts......All the talk from Obama about how he supports the 2nd admendent and all that........BS, I say. He'll do whatever his troops want. His cabinet is FULL of anti-gunners. THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING FOLKS !!!!!

That deer hunting rifle you own......that's a sniper rifle. Better ban that, too.

That semi-auto high capacity pistol......better ban that, too.

HaHa......all the people that drank the Brobama kool-aid.......and own guns. Too bad for you.BO's record in Illinois showed that he is anti-private ownership; this type of move shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who isn't on the bandwagon.

I like what I heard from someone else: Holder should be tried for perjury as he recently testified before the Senate that this wasn't on their agenda. I won't hold my breath on that....:rolleyes:It wasn't "on the agenda" but it was "pencilled in on the calendar" and "bandied about the watercooler" several times.

newracer
February 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
FWIW:

Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban
By Mike Soraghan
Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM EST

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats’ reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat “no” when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.

linky (http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelosi-tosses-cold-water-on-reviving-assault-weapon-ban-2009-02-26.html)I am willing to bet that Holder let the cat out of the bag and Pelosi is doing damage control.

Pilot
February 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM
That is why there has been a 30% increase in firearms purchases this year. Many are buying firerams that were banned last time around. Holder is a another freedom hating Janet Reno clone who doesn't believe the 2nd Amendment is an individual right.

That being said, more gun control law is political suicide for the Dems and that iw why they want to move on it sooner rather than later. Last time it was too close to an election and they got owned. If they do it again it will be years before an election (like now) and by them most people will forget. But I won't. :mad:

OrangeCrush
February 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
for your reading pleasure

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=133149

I really like the "No one is going to take your guns away" post :)

Loki
February 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
for your reading pleasure

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=133149

I really like the "No one is going to take your guns away" post :)

Well they are only taking away the bad guns, and I agree with that. You'll still have some guns that arent banned so technically, this isnt a ban on all guns. I can't believe the fear you guys have. :rolleyes:

Ok well that's my take on what he'll say. What do you guys think pretty close? :D

ZappBranigan
February 26th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Well they are only taking away the bad guns, and I agree with that. You'll still have some guns that arent banned so technically, this isnt a ban on all guns. I can't believe the fear you guys have. :rolleyes:

Ok well that's my take on what he'll say. What do you guys think pretty close? :D

No I think he'll avoid this one like the plague. In fact, I think all of our Obamessiah lovers will.

Denial: Not just a river in Egypt. :rolleyes:

ZappBranigan
February 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM
That being said, more gun control law is political suicide for the Dems and that iw why they want to move on it sooner rather than later. Last time it was too close to an election and they got owned. If they do it again it will be years before an election (like now) and by them most people will forget. But I won't. :mad:

Pelosi's statement was interesting. Seems like she knows the Dem Congress is not too popular right now and there's no point in throwing gasoline on the fire.

The lesson of 1994 was that if you want to pass controversial legislation, you can only do it in an off year. 2009 is an off year so they have to try and get it now (they will also be coasting on the media love-fest surrounding president Jesus Christ Obama, Savior of All Mankind.) Once 2010 rolls around, every single one of those 435 House seats is up for grabs, so they would be fools to try it then.

If they can't get it in 2009 they'll have to wait until 2011.

EDITED TO ADD: Remember that quite a few Democratic seats in both houses are held by pro-gun Democrats. IOW, there are a lot more pro-gun democrats than there are anti-gun Republicans. The Dem leadership may be "officially" anti-gun but they are smart enough to know that there are large parts of the US where an anti-gun stance is a quick ticket to electoral defeat, so they usually keep their mouths shut and look the other way when a Dem takes a pro-gun viewpoint.

After all, there's no use in making new enemies when the old enemies are still around to give you trouble.

yarddog
February 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Don't mean to sound stupid but a "ban" means no one can sell these types of weapons commercially?

ZappBranigan
February 26th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Don't mean to sound stupid but a "ban" means no one can sell these types of weapons commercially?

It will mean whatever the law says it means which could be a ban on future sales with no effect on current ownership (that's what the 1994 ban was like) or it could be a "you can keep it but you can't sell it" or it could be a "you can keep it if you register it" or it can be a "you can't keep it, turn it in by XX date or become a felon."

All depends on how the final law is written. :shrug:

potter
February 26th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Potter, Paging Potter.

Ok. I'll play. I would have joined in earlier but I had a big on-site job today. Sooooooo.

1. No one is taking your guns.

2. The AWB is 15 YEARS OLD. It only expired, and is being brought back.

3. The fact BO was going to un-expire the AWB has been on his website pre-november. In fact I swear I've even quoted the EXACT TEXT off his page on this forum.

4. I already have an assault weapon.

5. Carry on.

yarddog
February 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM
It will mean whatever the law says it means which could be a ban on future sales with no effect on current ownership (that's what the 1994 ban was like) or it could be a "you can keep it but you can't sell it" or it could be a "you can keep it if you register it" or it can be a "you can't keep it, turn it in by XX date or become a felon."

All depends on how the final law is written. :shrug:

got it. thanks.

newracer
February 26th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Ok. I'll play. I would have joined in earlier but I had a big on-site job today. Sooooooo.

1. No one is taking your guns. They might try, we don't know yet, see Zapp's post.

2. The AWB is 15 YEARS OLD. It only expired, and is being brought back. It should have never been started in the first place. The 2nd Amendment is over 200 years old.

3. The fact BO was going to un-expire the AWB has been on his website pre-november. In fact I swear I've even quoted the EXACT TEXT off his page on this forum. Yet he states he will not take our guns.

4. I already have an assault weapon. And isn't it nice to be able to buy one? Why would you not want people to be able to purchase them in the future?

5. Carry on. I always carry.

I'll play too.

BumperMan
February 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM
or it can be a "you can't keep it, turn it in by XX date or become a felon."

This is the one I want to see. Could be interesting.

1. No one is taking your guns.

2. The AWB is 15 YEARS OLD. It only expired, and is being brought back.

3. The fact BO was going to un-expire the AWB has been on his website pre-november. In fact I swear I've even quoted the EXACT TEXT off his page on this forum.

5. Carry on.

1. Really PROVE IT TO ME!!!

2. It may be 15 years old, but it did no good for the years and years it was in place. If your candidate and his followers are not smart enough to read up on that and figure it out, I hope you all get what you deserve in 2 and then again in 4 years.

3. And it was one of the MANY reasons I stated for not being able to support him, and one of the reasons I can not understand how you can be a gun owner and support this guy.

4. See above. If you support this guy, you should give it away, and tow the company line.

5. As states above, I always carry, and always will.

Seriously thanks for playing, and some day I want to buy you drinks and try to figure out why you think the way you do.

Loki
February 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I'll play too.

:feedtroll:

CapnCrunch
February 26th, 2009, 10:33 PM
4. I already have an assault weapon. And isn't it nice to be able to buy one? Why would you not want people to be able to purchase them in the future?

I think out of all of the remarks I read, this is the one that makes me think WTF the most.

creepycrawler
February 26th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Maybe if the freakin' borders were closed, it would slow down their ability to take our weapons to Mexico as well as stop the flow of illegals coming here.

Not that I believe that as the true reason for reinstating the ban. Obama is a tool.

creepycrawler
February 26th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I swear I've even quoted the EXACT TEXT off his page on this forum.

How many times did you also make fun of people for the mad rush to buy them over the last few months?

Steve
February 26th, 2009, 11:04 PM

So because you already have one it's okey dokey to ban future purchases so that others can't buy one? Dude, that's just plain fawked up reasoning. :thumbsdown:

Loki
February 26th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I can't believe you guys let him get you worked up.

He's either to dumb to understand the consequences, or he's just trying to get a rise out of you...

Either way its not worth the effort, to reason with him.

creepycrawler
February 26th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Obama supporter: He's not going to do that. You dumbasses are just fearmongers.

After Obama does what they say he's not going to do...

Well, yeah.....we already knew he was going to do that but it doesn't mean anything.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

potter
February 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I can't believe you guys let him get you worked up.

He's either to dumb to understand the consequences, or he's just trying to get a rise out of you...

Either way its not worth the effort, to reason with him.

Says the guy who was speaking for me before I ever even posted in the thread.

:laughing:

Classic.

potter
February 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM

:shrug:

potter
February 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM
So because you already have one it's okey dokey to ban future purchases so that others can't buy one? Dude, that's just plain fawked up reasoning. :thumbsdown:

People could buy em during that last AWB. :shrug:

potter
February 26th, 2009, 11:29 PM

You lost yours in a boating accident right? So wtf do you care? :shrug:

potter
February 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM
How many times did you also make fun of people for the mad rush to buy them over the last few months?

I'll still make fun of people in a mad rush to buy them. :shrug:

potter
February 26th, 2009, 11:34 PM
lol I don't even know why you guys are arguing with me. AWB - yeah it sucks. But as I already said, it was even on his website pre-november.

If you guys want to bitch, then bitch. But paging me to argue a useless point?

What point could you possibly argue with me here........

That BO is going through with what he said he would before he was even elected?
Or that I pointed it out before he was elected?

Lots of :shrug: here

Rott Weiler
February 27th, 2009, 12:22 AM
so Because You Already Have One It's Okey Dokey To Ban Future Purchases So That Others Can't Buy One? Dude, That's Just Plain Fawked Up Reasoning. :thumbsdown:
X2

DaleD
February 27th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Maybe if the freakin' borders were closed, it would slow down their ability to take our weapons to Mexico as well as stop the flow of illegals coming here.

Not that I believe that as the true reason for reinstating the ban. Obama is a tool.

There useing AK-47's though not AR-15's?
AK's do not come from the USA as you well know i am sure.

Hence the return of the AWB would mean what? Just more gun control on us and not them period...Fawk Mexico and our new lieing whitehouse

cheftyler
February 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
lol I don't even know why you guys are arguing with me. AWB - yeah it sucks. But as I already said, it was even on his website pre-november.

If you guys want to bitch, then bitch. But paging me to argue a useless point?

What point could you possibly argue with me here........

That BO is going through with what he said he would before he was even elected?
Or that I pointed it out before he was elected?

Lots of :shrug: here

Because you defend him at almost every turn. How is it ok for BHO to bring back a law that restricts what we, as citizens of the United States "protected" by the 2nd Amendment, can and cannot purchase related to firearms? Seriously, defend him with some rational thought, not this "well his website said he was going to do it before he even got elected" crap. Come on, Potter, tell us why it's ok that he wants to prevent us from buying a specific type of gun.

BumperMan
February 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hold the phone!!!!!!!!!!!! This may just be a good thing. Let's look at it from a different angle. So far in 37 days the President has pretty much showed his true colors. If he continues down this rabbit trail, he may just seal his own fate and be a 1 term President. Add to that that there is a good chance that he may cause the Dems to lose congress in 2 years. If he manages to do that, we may be better off than we thought we were going to be.

Of course THEY can do a lot of damage in 2 years.

ZappBranigan
February 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Well, I listed the possibilities the way I did from what I consider "most likely" to "least likely." A reinstatement of the 1994 ban on future sales (with no expiration date) is the one that is most politically feasible. Under such a scenario, people would still be able to buy and sell "pre-ban" weapons without further regulation. It would also allow manufacturers to make "post-ban" weapons the way they did from 1994-2004 (basically by removing the "evil" features like bayonet lugs and separate pistol grips.)

The second scenario, "you can keep it but you can't sell it" might look good on paper but would be virtually impossible to enforce unless it was accompanied by some form of registration, so really 2 and 3 are just variations on the same theme: So-called "assault weapons" would be treated as different from other weapons with strict registration and sale requirements (probably similar to the current Class 3 system.)

I believe this is what they did when the BATF reclassified some of the "street sweeper" shotguns as "destructive devices" (and therefore subject to registration as Title II/Class 3 weapons) back in the 90's. Needless to say, under such a system, the possession of an unregistered "assault weapon" would become a serious felony which would mean that if you had such a weapon and didn't register it, you would probably find it virtually impossible to sell it legally since it wouldn't have the requisite "paperwork" to accompany the sale.

And the final scenario, the "turn it in by XX date" is obviously the most radical and least likely one (though it also is undoubtedly the wet dream of Holder, Obama and the rest of the Dem leadership.) It all depends on whether they think they have the votes for it.

Loki
February 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Says the guy who was speaking for me before I ever even posted in the thread.

:laughing:

Classic.

Sure, its easy to fire off a troll post...doesn't require any thought.

I'll still make fun of you...point fingers and laugh.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/Loki99-photos/Nelson.jpg?t=1235747095

But doesn't mean I'm going to waste my time, replying to you in a thoughtful manner. :P

Just curious what kind of assault weapon do you own? Rubber band shooters are not assault weapons. :tisk:

OrangeCrush
February 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
What weapon is "not" an assault weapon

Keyton
February 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Even this is an "assault weapon" if it's defined broadly

http://www.chuckonizer.de/cns1.jpg

Loki
February 27th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Rubber band shooters are not assault weapons. :tisk:

Ummm Rubber band shooters... :shrug:

http://www.futurenerd.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/_disintegrator_rubber_band_gun.jpg

:D

Yucca-Man
February 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez." Automatic weapons and grenades? Yeah, those are easily found in any sporting goods store. :rolleyes:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Blotter/abc_guns_logo_080422_mn.jpg
For that matter, I'm pretty sure an M-60 (as shown above) is really easy to get at any gun store or pawn shop - it's not like it's a fully-automatic, belt-fed, squad infantry weapon, right?

Let's look at one item that has been conveniently overlooked in this drama-filled "story". How many of the weapons that supposedly flow into Mexico from the US are purchased legally through proper channels, with waiting periods, etc - and how many of them are stolen and resold?

markd79ta
February 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Automatic weapons and grenades? Yeah, those are easily found in any sporting goods store. :rolleyes:

For that matter, I'm pretty sure an M-60 (as shown above) is really easy to get at any gun store or pawn shop - it's not like it's a fully-automatic, belt-fed, squad infantry weapon, right?

Let's look at one item that has been conveniently overlooked in this drama-filled "story". How many of the weapons that supposedly flow into Mexico from the US are purchased legally through proper channels, with waiting periods, etc - and how many of them are stolen and resold?

Didn't everyone pick up their M60 and M198 Howitzer at Sportsman's?

I buy all my grenades from Walmart? ...although, they are the ones filled with water!

ZappBranigan
February 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Stolen by whom? All those hard-working illegal immigrants? Aren't they just here to do the jobs Americans won't do? ;)

Maybe stealing guns is another one of those "jobs Americans won't do" that causes us to need the illegals. :shrug:

Hmmmm...maybe there wouldn't be so many guns going to Mexico if the border was more secure....:confused:

ZappBranigan
February 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Didn't everyone pick up their M60 and M198 Howitzer at Sportsman's?

My Toyota won't pull a 198 so I'll go for the self-propelled M109.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/LAND_M109_lg.jpg

Loki
February 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hmmmm...maybe there wouldn't be so many guns going to Mexico if the border was more secure....:confused:

Why secure the border? Those illegals are future Democraps. Much smarter of the Democraps to target those evil assault weapons, everybodys safer and they don't limit future business for Acorn. :thumbsup:

markd79ta
February 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM
My Toyota won't pull a 198 so I'll go for the self-propelled M109.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/LAND_M109_lg.jpg

You ordered that from Bass Pro Shops right?

Steel Dragon
February 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Automatic weapons and grenades? Yeah, those are easily found in any sporting goods store. :rolleyes:

You guys dont get it

Those weapons come from gun show loopholes

Snotty
February 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
You guys don't get it. Those that support Obama and voted for him, want this to happen. They know he and the democraps are closet socialist/fascist and we are well on that path. Any legislation that the Dems have wanted, well, forever is now going to be fast tracked right on into office. I just hope they fook themselves so badly that they get run out of office in two years and Obama gets to sit with his thumb up his arse the next.

Last polls I checked, still had a 58% negative approval rating for congress. Even with Obama up in the 60+ range.

Pilot
February 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I am more into the "retro" weapons of mass destruction which are easily available due to today's lax gun laws. I'm thinking a vintage Tiger.....

http://www.worldwar2aces.com/tiger-tank/tiger-tank-images/tiger-tank-26.jpg

Keyton
February 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.worldwar2aces.com/tiger-tank/tiger-tank-images/tiger-tank-26.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/vdezfury44/Oddball.jpg

Oddball (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000661/): It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Pilot
February 27th, 2009, 06:20 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/vdezfury44/Oddball.jpg

Oddball (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000661/): It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

"Woof, woof. Woof, woof". That's my other dog imitation.

CYAN5DE
February 27th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Exactly...

If they float about 15 uber-liberal proposals all at once, and only pass 3-4 of their "target" proposals, then they still can claim to be not so bad because of all the "other" proposals they "bi-partisanly" shot down.

EDIT: posted this at the end of pase 1, then said oh crap, there is a page 2.

I will come up with post that hates on obama soon, but so far you guys are covering it well. I need to finish ordering my new lowers on gunbroker. and find some lower part kits for LR-308's. and a short upper before the price doubles. should have bought it last year. stupid me. maybe if i go into debt buying guns without any forethought, i can get a farking bailout.

creepycrawler
February 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'll still make fun of people in a mad rush to buy them. :shrug:

Why would you do that if you supposedly knew a long time back that he was going to ban them. Kinda doesn't make a lot of sense. :shrug:

potter
February 28th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Why would you do that if you supposedly knew a long time back that he was going to ban them. Kinda doesn't make a lot of sense. :shrug:

It's that whole procrastination thing. After 1994, "gun nuts" should have known the possibilities of congress and the president. Instead, they wait till the day after Obama is elected? Five whole years after the ban expires?

Where's the intelligence here? :shrug:

Seems to me everyone screwed themselves by sitting on their asses.

potter
February 28th, 2009, 02:08 AM
1. Because you defend him at almost every turn.

2. How is it ok for BHO to bring back a law that restricts what we, as citizens of the United States "protected" by the 2nd Amendment, can and cannot purchase related to firearms?

3. Seriously, defend him with some rational thought, not this "well his website said he was going to do it before he even got elected" crap. Come on, Potter, tell us why it's ok that he wants to prevent us from buying a specific type of gun.

Zapp would be able to put this much more elegantly than I ever could.

1. I don't defend him per say. I merely try to point out those attacking him do so preemptively, or without basis.

2. You're not "protected" by the second amendment to purchase firearms, or anything related to firearms.

3. I don't. It sucks. I never once said it was ok to prevent us from buying a specific type of gun.

^ There is your problem right there. You feel just because I support Obama means I want to prohibit guns or the second amendment. I'm not arguing that the AWB is ok or a good thing. All I argued is that anyone that didn't see it coming is blind. As I had already posted the intent on this board before. Re-read the thread, without party lines or "this side or that side" opinions - you'll see I didn't once take the side "for" the AWB.

I'm pro-gun. Remember that... Hell, I have a CCW and an "AW". Again, if you guys want to bitch about Obama, then do so. "Paging" me into the thread and try to paint me as an anti-gun hippie?? Laughable.

dmeis
February 28th, 2009, 07:39 AM
...^ There is your problem right there. You feel just because I support Obama means I want to prohibit guns or the second amendment. I'm not arguing that the AWB is ok or a good thing. All I argued is that anyone that didn't see it coming is blind. As I had already posted the intent on this board before. Re-read the thread, without party lines or "this side or that side" opinions - you'll see I didn't once take the side "for" the AWB.

I'm pro-gun. Remember that... Hell, I have a CCW and an "AW". Again, if you guys want to bitch about Obama, then do so. "Paging" me into the thread and try to paint me as an anti-gun hippie?? Laughable.

Based on your comments above you sound more like a sheep... :flipoff2:

cheftyler
February 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Zapp would be able to put this much more elegantly than I ever could.

1. I don't defend him per say. I merely try to point out those attacking him do so preemptively, or without basis.

2. You're not "protected" by the second amendment to purchase firearms, or anything related to firearms.

3. I don't. It sucks. I never once said it was ok to prevent us from buying a specific type of gun.

^ There is your problem right there. You feel just because I support Obama means I want to prohibit guns or the second amendment. I'm not arguing that the AWB is ok or a good thing. All I argued is that anyone that didn't see it coming is blind. As I had already posted the intent on this board before. Re-read the thread, without party lines or "this side or that side" opinions - you'll see I didn't once take the side "for" the AWB.

K, Potter, try to understand this, it's not that hard, if you support Obama (or any politician that feels it's ok to ban certain types of weapons, grab our guns, etc...) then you are supporting an "anti-gun hippie" do you get that?

creepycrawler
February 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
K, Potter, try to understand this, it's not that hard, if you support Obama (or any politician that feels it's ok to ban certain types of weapons, grab our guns, etc...) then you are supporting an "idiot" do you get that?

Fixed.

cheftyler
February 28th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks CC

potter
March 1st, 2009, 02:39 AM
K, Potter, try to understand this, it's not that hard, if you support Obama (or any politician that feels it's ok to ban certain types of weapons, grab our guns, etc...) then you are supporting an "anti-gun hippie" do you get that?

We went over this leading into the elections. No one is perfect, and there's probably never going to be a candidate who you agree with on 100% of their agendas.

It's not hard to understand I can support Obama and still disagree with his policies on guns. 0.02

zillacon
March 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
It's that whole procrastination thing. After 1994, "gun nuts" should have known the possibilities of congress and the president. Instead, they wait till the day after Obama is elected? Five whole years after the ban expires?

Where's the intelligence here? :shrug:

Seems to me everyone screwed themselves by sitting on their asses.

No we weren't procrastinating! We were just hoping the worthless POS wouldn't get elected!

Pilot
March 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM
No we weren't procrastinating! We were just hoping the worthless POS wouldn't get elected!

And I can guarantee that just about every gun enthusiast voted AGAINST Obama not only due to his anti-gun rights stance and record, but his socialist beliefs as well. Socialists don't like an armed populace because they still have an element of self reliance and self control. Obama wants total dependence on government and politicians like him. As long as we have guns we can and will fight back.

zillacon
March 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM
And I can guarantee that just about every gun enthusiast voted AGAINST Obama not only due to his anti-gun rights stance and record, but his socialist beliefs as well. Socialists don't like an armed populace because they still have an element of self reliance and self control. Obama wants total dependence on government and politicians like him. As long as we have guns we can and will fight back.

You hit the nail right on the head!

newracer
March 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM
Actually there are a lot that did vote for Obama, sadly.

Kong
March 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
I bet they don't vote for him in four years if he passes another AWB.

Yucca-Man
March 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM
Actually there are a lot that did vote for Obama, sadly.Suckered in by his "I respect the rights of sportsmen" crap, weren't they? Notice the only time he's ever said anything positive with respect to gun ownership, it was for sportsmen. His voting record showed him strongly against private ownership for home defense. I'm sure those sportsmen won't mind having their weapons on a national register, with limits on how many they can own, how much ammo they can have, or that the ammo they do own has to be serailized and registered, right?

Obama is so far anti-Second Amendment that he's completely in uncharted territory for gun owners who DO apreciate the citizen's Right to Bear Arms.

SCAMPER ZJ
March 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
I bet they don't vote for him in four years if he passes another AWB.

Don't count on it. Once they have the rest of us paying for their house, their education through college, their unemployment, their health care, and their retirement, many will be perfectly willing to give up the rest of their liberties and freedoms - including their guns.

Yucca-Man
March 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Don't count on it. Once they have the rest of us paying for their house, their education through college, their unemployment, their health care, and their retirement, many will be perfectly willing to give up the rest of their liberties and freedoms - including their guns."This is how liberty dies - with thunderous applause."

Pilot
March 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Suckered in by his "I respect the rights of sportsmen" crap, weren't they? Notice the only time he's ever said anything positive with respect to gun ownership, it was for sportsmen. His voting record showed him strongly against private ownership for home defense.

Obama is so far anti-Second Amendment that he's completely in uncharted territory for gun owners who DO apreciate the citizen's Right to Bear Arms.

All true. Look at his voting record, not what he says. Very anti gun rights. Look at his pick for Attorney General. Very anti gun rights.

When these lib politicians start spouting off about sportsmen and hunting that's when you have to worry. They don't believe its an individual right nor do they believe the 2nd Amendment is for fighting a tyrnanical government. Of course! What tyrant would want an armed populace?

First they will limit what you can have to "sporting" weapons using what THEY define as "sporting". The definition will become narrower and narrower until your RKBA is gone. :mad: